Two points, different configuration, same TP program, is it possible?

• is it possible to have two points with different configurations, I have points for which the robot needs to be in different configuration, at one point it needs to be Flipped other needs to be Notflipped, the robot works without changing the configuraiton, but it does some funky moves in order to keep its configuration, and if it is allowed to go from N to F the movement would be much easier on the robot. So is there a way to have P[1] with configuration NUT and P[2] to be FUT?

• If it is programmed as a joint move it will execute the config; it will be ignored when programmed as a linear.

Well, kinda.

The turn numbers will be ignored in a linear move, but the config will not. changing config in a linear move will result in a fault, unless the wrist joint motion modifier is applied to the move.

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

• Well, kinda.

The turn numbers will be ignored in a linear move, but the config will not. changing config in a linear move will result in a fault, unless the wrist joint motion modifier is applied to the move.

So either do a joint move to change the config or a linear move with wjnt option?

• Keep in mind that the Wjnt motion option only affects the wrist ("wrist joint," axes 4-5-6).

Linear + Wjnt should work for a config change between NUT/FUT and vice-versa since you are only changing the wrist configuration, but I would expect to see a fault if you change the elbow/arm config.

Edit: Also keep in mind that the other robot axes will have to compensate for the joint interpolation of the wrist to maintain a linear path when using Wjnt. In general, if you don't need the TCP to move in a straight line, it's probably better to just use a joint move.

• Keep in mind that the Wjnt motion option only affects the wrist ("wrist joint," axes 4-5-6).

Linear + Wjnt should work for a config change between NUT/FUT and vice-versa since you are only changing the wrist configuration, but I would expect to see a fault if you change the elbow/arm config.

Edit: Also keep in mind that the other robot axes will have to compensate for the joint interpolation of the wrist to maintain a linear path when using Wjnt. In general, if you don't need the TCP to move in a straight line, it's probably better to just use a joint move.

I decided to try a change from NUT to NDT using a linear move and wrist joint, and wow, it behaves oddly.

The controller (V8.30/23 in my test) does not fault, it actually executes the move, and gets the TCP to the XYZ position of the point, but does not match the WPR of the point. This was done using a fine move.

Worse yet, is that once you are there, if you attempt to jog away, the controller then decides to execute the rest of the move! :fearful_face:

Moral of the story, don't use wrist joint for altering configs of the major axes of the arm.

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

Advertising from our partners