A few quick noob questions (virtualfence, elliptic movement, singularities, palletizing)

• Dear all,

I am very young to this game; here some easy questions that puzzle me, for your kind consideration:

1) virtualFence: I draw it in WINCAPS simulation but it does not seem to (a) block the simulated robot from crossing fences during movement, and (b) does not seem to have any effect in the actual robot? (same or different problem?)

2) move across elliptic path: Is there an elegant way of instructing (in PAC) the robot arm (and tool) to move around the contour of a small spherical object or do I have to really do pen and paper calculations and key in coordinates manually? The latter seems a mess as movement will look skiddish and jagged (unless I use _many_ points).

3) avoid singularities or weird paths: (a) Is there a simple yet helpful manual to explain how to avoid singularities? Also, if I prove different points and let the arm move from one to the next, oftentimes (some of) its limbs move far outside the safe area (e.g. denoted via virtualFence). Is there a way to predict and/or ask for different automatic paths or do I have to explicitly add interpolated points to force movement via those?

4) what is palletizing?

Thank you in advance. I am at a loss and have a huge project ahead of me.

Best regards,

sleepmode

• Hi sleepmode

Welcome to the robot forum

My answers is not specific to Denso but I think they will help

1) I think you program you areas but you are missing something on the set up to execute them on the virtual robot.

2) You have a couple of ways to specify the trajectory of the robot (the motion associated to it). I think you are using linear motion, try another motion and also do not be so precise on achieving the point. There's must be a command as part of the motion where you can use to

3) As far as predicting the motion, once you try few points (and I think item 2 is going to help you) the robot will repeat those motions forever and yes, you may have to interpolate points

Retired but still helping

• well, your answer leads to another related question: since for a project to work, i both create fences through the 3d GUI and I write a small program, is it the GUI that will help enforce e.g. fencing or the program? I assume the program can do what the GUI can and more but then I cannot find suitable commands to make the program control fencing. What do you think?

2) You have a couple of ways to specify the trajectory of the robot (the motion associated to it). I think you are using linear motion, try another motion and also do not be so precise on achieving the point. There's must be a command as part of the motion where you can use to

Thanks for that. I will look into that. What do you mean I do not need to be so precise? You mean during going from point A to B?

Also, it seems like your final sentence was cut short. Can you repeat please?

3) As far as predicting the motion, once you try few points (and I think item 2 is going to help you) the robot will repeat those motions forever and yes, you may have to interpolate points

So, from this I deduce that there are not really smart ways to do this. We have to specify a number of points along a trajectory manually by pen and paper, trial and error?

Thank you for your time.

• VirtualFence: Do you have the license enabled to use this functionality? If so, have you confirmed that Collision Detection is enabled for the fence objects and that monitoring (VirtualFence True) has been enabled? If you don't have the license and you are trying to set up simple (i.e., box-shaped) avoidance zones, you could use an Area function instead.

Elliptical Path: If your object is spherical, you should be able to use Move C to move in a circular arc. To achieve an elliptical path you will probably have to define several points along the path and use Move S to calculate the spline that should closely approximate the ellipse you are looking for. See Free Curve Interpolation in the Function Guide for more details on spline moves.

Singularity: Denso provides a built-in singularity avoidance function: SingularAvoid 2 will enable it. To avoid singularity in general, try to avoid poses that require Joint 5 to be close to zero. If you don't like the path that the robot is taking between points, then you will either need to specify additional waypoints or change the interpolation method. You could try using Move L to move in a straight line between points, but that might be slower than specifying an additional waypoint and allowing Point-to-Point Interpolation. Basically, like Fabian said, you should test out a few points until you are satisfied with the path and speed of the robot.

Palletizing: The only function Denso provides for palletizing is Pallet.CalcPos which will basically calculate the next position on a box-shaped stack if you know the position of each of the four corners of the stack. Are you trying to figure out how to use this function or are you just trying to determine if you need to use palletizing at all in your application?

• Thank you for the extended reply. I do have a full license enabled.

Please allow for some time to absorb (and test) all the advice you provided and will get back to you.

Thank you very much.

Advertising from our partners