ARC-013 No arc after 1st weld

• Hello all! Im working on a R30-iB/ARCMATE 100iC 12 and I'm having trouble getting the robot to keep welding after a weld or two.

The alarm code showing is ARC-013 and it keeps happening after I put a new sharp tungsten. I run my weld program once with no issue, and then on the second cycle the the arc doesn't even start and it throws the ARC-013 alarm.

I was watching the arc detect I/O to see what was happening and it didn't turn on for the second weld. I have the same exact setup on another robot so I checked that all of the weld procedure data was the same and it was. The one thing I've noticed is that the tungsten on the current setup not as clean after the first weld as the other robotic setup's first weld, but it even the other robot will keeping welding with a worse tungsten.

I’m currently looking to see if its having trouble grounding correctly, but I don’t think that’s the issue.. If anybody has any similar issues or some troubleshooting tips for me, they would be much appreciated! I've only been writing weld programs and working with robots for about a year and a half with no prior training or schooling, so please, ANY information could help.

I will provide you with as much information as I can, thanks everybody!

• Hi Borobot2018,

its a Arc Start failure. The Ball on your wire could be the reason for this Problem.

To prevent to arise the ball.. Teach the Arc End from the previous weld correctly (Stick out 12mm).. maybe it also helps you when you use the Wire burn back function... ore try the scratch Start Funktion and increase arc start error time..at leas 2-3 sec.

• Hi, thanks for the response. I should have mentioned I was aware of what the alarm meant, sorry. I use mode 376 for TIG welding stainless steel so I don't actually use the burnback, wirefeed, or scratch start functions in my process. I'll see what increasing the error time can do for me though, thanks!

My electrode is fine after the first weld and the weld itself looks great, but when starting in on a second cycle on the same electrode, it seems there is some kind of issue with getting the arc to start. Ive watched the feedback status during the process and what happens is the arc wont start so the current at most reads 1.5 amps and the voltage shoots ups(probably to a limit of some kind) because there is something keeping the arc from starting and establishing itself on the part.

How can it weld perfectly fine one moment and then have such trouble doing it again right after with a usable tungsten? normally mine last for about 15 welds before needing to be replaced..

• Is the start method high freq (high voltage)? Check connections. Distance from tip to work needs to be accurate & repeatable. Compare the start & end ramping with the other working setup. Swap power sources with other setup.

In the past, changing the HF cable or changing the power source with built-in HF fixed this after, connections, accurate tip distance, and proper gas flow were verified.

• Is the start method high freq (high voltage)? Check connections. Distance from tip to work needs to be accurate & repeatable. Compare the start & end ramping with the other working setup. Swap power sources with other setup.

In the past, changing the HF cable or changing the power source with built-in HF fixed this after, connections, accurate tip distance, and proper gas flow were verified.

The start method is High frequency, thanks for the reply, and sorry for the delay. I've check all the connections that I know to check. I will double check that my torch gas isn't too high as well. The last time I was checking it out it seemed to be at a working flow rate. The weird part is that it welds once perfectly, sometimes twice, showing feed back signs that it is trying to start the arc( 1 amp and Higher than normal voltage until the ARC-013 alarm is tripped). We currently have some work flowing through our other robotic setup so we aren't able to swap power sources at this time. If the torch's gas flow checks out, then I will make a note to swap out the power sources if I can.

Thanks for the feedback!!

• Are you seeing a spark at the tip when it's trying to start? Older welders had spark gaps in the high freq circuit would fail if debris got in the gap or the gap was not set properly.

There is no debris in the gap and it is set properly. Its set up just like our other robot, but ill look at the tungsten tip while its attempting to arc to see if there's even just a little bit. Normally I can at least see AND hear the arc attempting to establish itself on the part. It will only run once or MAYBE twice before it stops sparking(from what I have observed).. and the same tungsten will work on our other robot after failing to do a second weld on the first robot.

This is an issue that I have yet to find other similar sorts of situations online to compare with, so thanks for the replies!

Advertising from our partners