KRC1 backup

• Hello everyone!! :hi-bye:

I have a:

-KR200 _2_TJ floor ZH02

-KR C1 kss V2.3.24

I had started with the robot from scratch, my robot did not move and I had several problems, at this point I can do that the robot moves. But I still have many problems, the programs that come have compilation errors. It should be clarified that the Robot comes from Renault and is with its parameters, but they did not give us the CD or something to restart it. So, before moving something in the programs or their files, I want to make a backup copy of all. But someone ("kuka expert", known to my boss) told me that I should not make a backup without some kuka tool (he did not tell me what tool). I had thought I could make a backup of the system image as usual (Acronis and an IDE adapter to Sata)

My questions is:

Do really I need some kuka tool for this? or Can I made it with acronis? :thinking_face:

and

how can I do a restoration the robot without CD? some idea?

Thanks for your help!!!

• On newer KRCs, there is a special KUKA USB drive (the KSR) that will backup/restore the entire robot hard drive, without needing any extra tools. But it doesn't work on KRC1s. That may be what the "expert" was referring to.

On normal KRCs, the installer for KSS is saved in the robot's D: drive. I can't say for certain if a Renault KRC follows that rule, or if the installer might have been modified to be Renault-specific.

The larger problem is Windows 95. Without the KUKA install CD (the KRC1 uses a customized W95 build, so a "normal" W95 install CD won't work), if the C: drive were ever to become corrupted, the robot would be inoperable unless/until you obtained a W95 install CD from KUKA. So, as Panic says, whenever getting an old KRC for the first time, making a 100% image of the hard drive (Acronis, CloneZilla, whatever) is vital. That will be your last-ditch disaster-recovery option.

• On newer KRCs, there is a special KUKA USB drive (the KSR) that will backup/restore the entire robot hard drive, without needing any extra tools. But it doesn't work on KRC1s. That may be what the "expert" was referring to.

I guess the expert referred to this, I did not know, how I have an old robot (But I have hope that the robot will work ) I only have been investigating about this.

The larger problem is Windows 95. Without the KUKA install CD (the KRC1 uses a customized W95 build, so a "normal" W95 install CD won't work), if the C: drive were ever to become corrupted, the robot would be inoperable unless/until you obtained a W95 install CD from KUKA. So, as Panic says, whenever getting an old KRC for the first time, making a 100% image of the hard drive (Acronis, CloneZilla, whatever) is vital. That will be your last-ditch disaster-recovery option.

:fearful_face: I did not know this, I'd better make this copy now before moved something more

On normal KRCs, the installer for KSS is saved in the robot's D: drive. I can't say for certain if a Renault KRC follows that rule, or if the installer might have been modified to be Renault-specific

Do you know how I can change these files? All robot programs have LINKING ERROR, so they are not compiled. I know that the robot had a clamp and other things when I was in Renault. Therefore, the programs have some variables and things that I don't need. I've been thinking about commenting on some lines because I don't have a CD to reset the values and on drive D: / I have several files and I don't know which one is correct, is it a good idea?

Thanks for your comments :upside_down_face:

• Obvously, make a backup first before making any changes. After that, it depends. You can probably delete most of the Renault program files, but you should avoid tampering with anything in the MADA directories to start with. You will probably need to "clean" the SPS.SUB file -- generally it should be safe to delete anything inside the USER PLC and USER INIT folders.

The best approach would be identify what's causing the errors -- the pendant should indicate which line of a program is causing the error, and you could simply comment out that line and see if that works. You can also open up the Archive on a computer and use search tools like BareGrep to find all the occurrences of variables, subroutine calls, etc -- it'll be some work, but you can build a map and flowchart of all the various programs (and the variables they depend on) this way. Then it'll be time to figure out what you need to prune, and what to keep.

Advertising from our partners