C Controller MFD Software Mismatch

• G’day, newbie from South Australia looking for same guidance.

I work with a couple of FS030 / C Controller as well as a few JS010/ A Controller robots. No real background other than learning as I go. I have searched the site and found nothing reflective of my concern.

One of the C Controller Multi-Function Displays has an intermittent issue and becomes completely non-reactive on occasion.

I have found another MFD but when connected shows only a keyboard and ‘Software Version Mismatch’.

Can anyone point me toward instructions or process to maybe transfer the software from one to the other?

Original unit shows T04E2T2J replacement shows T3010K7E.

Any assistance much appreciated.

• G'day and welcome to the forum...….:beerchug:

Wow, you're working with some dated kit there......still, nice to hear JS10 and A Controller are still going.

- Not that it matters, what is the manufacture date on those, would you know?

One of the C Controller Multi-Function Displays has an intermittent issue and becomes completely non-reactive on occasion.

I have found another MFD but when connected shows only a keyboard and ‘Software Version Mismatch’.

Can you provide some further information:

1. Have you checked the interface cabling between MFP and Controller including pin bent

2. Do these C Controllers print messages to the screen as part of the normal process.

3. Do they have ethernet communications associated with them.

4. When it freezes, is this at 'random times', 'random screens' or frequently in the same place. (I assume a reboot clears the freezing for a period).

5. Do you have access to full file saves, and are in a position where you know how to upload and download.

6. Do you have access to PCMCIA Cards (max size 32Mb - yes max 32Mb, but possibly 16Mb max).

7. I assume that other than the freezing issue, you are not experiencing any other issues.

• Hi . . I'm not certain of the Manuf date, I will get a look at the serial plates today and let you know. We utilise them for loading / unloading CNC lathes and they still perform quite adequately. The others are grinding and polishing units out of Italy.

Answers as follows:

1. Have you checked the interface cabling between MFP and Controller including pin bent

The original unit most definitely has an issue with the cable, guessing a break that loses contact at times. The hope is that if we get the replacement going we can rework the cable and have a complete spare. FYI - the pin out of the replacement is identical.

2. Do these C Controllers print messages to the screen as part of the normal process.

Yes they do, the MFP gives full functionality, operation, edit etc.

3. Do they have ethernet communications associated with them.

I have ethernet via KCWinTCP or KCTerm

4. When it freezes, is this at 'random times', 'random screens' or frequently in the same place. (I assume a reboot clears the freezing for a period).

As per Q1, depends on how I jiggle the cable and hold my tongue . . luck of the draw.

5. Do you have access to full file saves, and are in a position where you know how to upload and download.

Yes, I still have full access.

6. Do you have access to PCMCIA Cards (max size 32Mb - yes max 32Mb, but possibly 16Mb max).

No, but I am sure this can be achieved.

7. I assume that other than the freezing issue, you are not experiencing any other issues.

Correct . . at least in regard to the Robot . . life however <Grin>

Thank you for your time :smiling_face:

• G'day again, the original date on one of the units is November 1997 and I am guessing both were installed at the same time.

Regarding the PCMCIA . . will a CF Card and PCMCIA adaptor suffice?

Cheers.

The others are grinding and polishing units out of Italy.

I suspect these will probably have been supplied by Tiesse, they are a huge distributor of Kawasaki Robotics out of Italy.

Thanks for the additional information its all relevant.

The MFP software has to be compatible with the version of AS you have, otherwise you normally just see a keyboard displayed during bootup.

Original unit shows T04E2T2J replacement shows T3010K7E.

I have the T04E2T2J firmware available, so you should be able to load that up to the replacement, making it compatible.

However, this can only be done using a PCMCIA card I mentioned.....and the size limitation is a must on the older C Controllers, they very early versions only accepted a max 1MB (SRAM which contained its own replaceable battery).

I will send you a zipped up file via 'conversation' with the full procedures and the version outlined above.

Just copy the MFP folder contents to your PCMCIA card and follow the very first part of the procedure for only loading teach pendant software, very important you have teach lock on and the tricky bit is the 4 corner touching, especially if you have Gorilla fingers like me or dead corners on the touch screen.

Make sure to create a full file save before you do this just in case of problems.

Let me know if you have any issues.

• 1997......Nice...…………:top:

Always puts a smile on my face that >20 years and still going.

Yes, CF adapter will suffice, main thing is the CF size that's all as there is no other way of getting the software onto the MFP.

Check your 'conversation' you should have the docs, if not let me know...……..

• Hope the replacement works out and you resolves the freezing issues.

If not, then post back and include the AS and SV revisions, I may have later versions that could be worth installing......Only if the freezing is still evident...

• G’day Kwakisaki, current situation as follows.

Yesterday I obtained a PCMCIA – CF Adaptor along with an 8GB CF Card. Reformatted the card to 8mb (via Diskpart) and attempted to do a backup. The process started and then showed - unexpected error during card access and aborted (pic attached).

I reformatted the card to 1mb with the same result.

Function 14.1 – Format Card - responds ’cannot format this card’

Function 14.2 – File Delete - does not read any file written to the card (I placed a single file on there)

It seems that for some reason I have no ability to access the card.

Any thoughts or advice?

• Yes, it's the CF card itself.

I have tried many times to try and utilize 'out of spec' CF cards by using various software to 'downsize' a CF card with no success......:bawling:

The 'format' function in the controller, I have only ever got to work when using a CF card supplied directly from Kawasaki, any other CF card I have thrown in it, even though within spec, never successfully ever formatted it...:mad:

You need an 'off the shelf' 4Mb, 8Mb, 16Mb or possibly a 32Mb CF card to really guarantee read/write access within the controller, you have to consider the age of the controller, the internal drivers would have been written by some boffin over 20 years ago when the range of manufacturers and memory sizes were not as varied as they are today, therefore universal compatibility today would not have been considered back then.

The only recommendation I can give in this area is try and hunt down Sandisk 8Mb or 16Mb, these I use myself.

Unfortunately in the C Controller, there's no other way of getting software into it except via CF interface.

This is what your target is:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/San…19af14:g:0l8AAOSwTrpdgfaD

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/San…791a91:g:pQIAAOSwpXFdEQl~

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/San…7037ed:g:tWQAAOSwFoZdEJyY

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/San…2f9c17:g:4qAAAOSwNixc0x-h

• Not to sure if anyone has had any success with 'no name brands' and formatting/downsizing.

It's possible some of the oddball cards may just work, I personally gave up and stuck with a brand I knew worked as it just was so unpredictable.

Also I think Transcend was a favoured brand too which Kawasaki supplied.

Sadly without a compatible CF card, turns it into a job stopper really as there's no other way of getting data in.

• G’day Kwakisaki, I hope all is good in your part of the world.

We managed to track down a 16mb CF Card (circa 1999). With that and your excellent instructions in hand, we have been able to complete all that we set out to do. The process worked exactly as described and the Firmware you provided has now solved the MFD mismatch issue.

It is reassuring to know that there are people with the knowledge you possess, that are prepared to give their time and expertise to assist those of us that would otherwise remain in our own little pits of despair.

I thank you, my employer thanks you and you have our gratitude and respect.

• Excellent news...………:top:

You're very welcome, keep that card VERY SAFE..:police:, you never know when it'll come in handy again.

I cut my teeth on the C Controller and I considered it a very good product for Kawasaki, shame they have discontinued it, but always nice to support keeping them alive.

I've gained lots of additional knowledge from other users experience here at Robot Forum, these experiences are not written in manuals, that's what makes Robot Forum a great source of global information.

What bolsters this, is the fact that you also post back results, this then allows for this community to grow and become another 'tool' in your toolbox.

So always a team effort and many thanks for your comments and your feedback of results, this is what promotes people to assist others in areas they can.

Look forward to seeing you on the forum...…..:beerchug:

• Good day Kwakisaki,

I am from Poland looking for same guidance.

I have a similar problem with MFP .

My MFP panel hangs frequently. I have another panel of robots that we bought. They worked at the Jaguar factory, but when connected shows only a keyboard.

Can you point me toward instructions or process to maybe transfer the software from one to the other?

Original unit shows T00E0K1J (AS: 100E0K1J) replacement (MFP Jaguar) shows TA430TJJ (AS: 2A431TVJ).

Do you have firmware available for this MFP (T00E0K1J)?

Any assistance much appreciated.

• Welcome to the forum...……….:beerchug:

Yes, it appears the Jaguar MFP's have different MFP firmware in comparison to yours.

Check your 'conversation', I have sent you a zipped file containing the MFP firmware T00E0K1J and procedures to install......You only need to do the Teach Pendant Software procedure.

Understand, you do this at your own risk.

Make sure you backup the existing controller before you upgrade it just in case, however firmware replacement on MFP does not usually interfere with the other data.

Good luck...……:top:

• Hi, Kwakisaki,

I received the file, Thanks a lot! Now I need to buy correct PCMCIA, which will be ridden by MFP. When I get the card, I will start working and write here the results.

Thanks again for help :winking_face:

Advertising from our partners