Linear speed specification DX100

• I have a question of speed allocation based on this by 95 Devils: "On a VJ= there are two decimal places. On a V= there is one decimal place. The controller is using mm/sec on the V= regardless of what units you have the controller set for."

I am using slow linear moves between close points and speeds are say 0.4567 mm/s. If I tell the (DX100) controller that V = 0.4567, is it going to round it off to 0.5 mm/s? I have been wondering why my speeds are off but there are no errors when I specify V to 4 decimal places.

If so is there any way to specify speeds more accurately?

Thanks

• I have been wondering why my speeds are off..

Not sure what the controller does or whether it rounds it off when using 4 decimal places, but how do you make a difference between 0.4567mm/s and 0.5mm/s? Should be impossible to visually make a difference.

If the liner movements have tool angle changes and you find the speeds to be off from one move to another it might be your TCP is out of place.

• I am using the arm for an extrusion process, so the speed is pretty important (and slow).

Looking at some speed tests I did, the controller does automatically round off the speed to one decimal place. Its a bit odd that it rounded 1.667 to 1.6 and 1.25 to 1.2 though. There's not enough readings to say for sure, but it looks like controller is rounding down.

Edited once, last by DKirkman: typo ().

• Using your numbers of 0.4567, if entered into the programming pendant the controller will round to 0.5. If the number is type into a text editor then loaded into the controller the controller will show 0.4. Saving the job back out will show the controller eliminates digits to show 1 decimal.

I know a thing or two, because I’ve seen a thing or two. Don't even ask about a third thing. I won't know it.

• Thank you, that makes perfect sense now. I am using MATLAB to generate position variables in a text file which would explain why the numbers are being truncated. I shall just have to stick to TCP speeds that are multiples of 0.1 to avoid rounding errors :thumbs_up:

Advertising from our partners