ROBOT for sorting and feeding the component and put it on a conveyor belt

• Hello,

I have a component which is semicircle in shape. The component is kept in a box so that the arc surface of semicircle is at top. A robot has to pick the component and should keep it on a conveyor belt and conveyor belt will lead that component to a laser engraving machine.

My question is what are the step by step process that I have to do? I don,t have enough experience in robotics. Which robot should I buy and how to program it? Which software I have to learn to do the task described above.

• Vedant

Changed the title of the thread from “ROBOT for sorting and feeding the component and put it on a conyer belt” to “ROBOT for sorting and feeding the component and put it on a conveyor belt”.
  • Do you already have the laser engraver? My company builds industrial laser systems. We are also Fanuc integrator. If you don't already have a laser engraver you can get a complete system from my company which would work for all the product you request. Pm for more details.

Are you going to need vision? Are the parts to be removed always in the box the same way?

• Code
    Is the box moving or not ?

Is the conveyor where you put the part moving or not ?

The box is not moving but the conveyor will move which will lead the component in laser engraving machine.

Code
    Do you already have the laser engraver?

Yes, we do.

Code
    Are you going to need vision? Are the parts to be removed always in the box the same way?

The parts to be removed from the box will not be in same way. I think we need vision for that.

• Which robot should I buy and how to program it? Which software I have to learn to do the task described above.

Hello, it is very difficult to answer to this questions without more info.

The robot choice will depend on :

• the parts to handle (size, weight)
    • the work envelope you need (it will define the size of your robot)
    • the movement complexity (it will define how many axis you need)
    • the accuracy you need

etc.

Hello, it is very difficult to answer to this questions without more info.

The robot choice will depend on

The attached file show the part which has to be picked and placed. The work envelope is around 60 - 80 cm radius. My main concern is that if the component which is shown in the attached file is upside down (180 rotation), would the robot be able to pick it or rotate it first then pick it and put it on a conveyor belt. ( The position of the component on a conveyor belt should always be like it is shown in attached picture). To accomplish this task, which kind of robot i need and do I need image recognition or some senors?

• Maybe a 6-axis robot will help you. For example the LR Mate 200iD (max charge 7kg).

You could pick the part from the side and use the last joint flip it.

A camera is indeed a solution to find the orientation of the object.

Depending on how the parts are supply you will also need a camera above the conveyor to give to the robot the picking coordinates. Maybe with only one camera you could do both operation (find orientation + position)

But note that there are several solutions for your problem, it depends on so many factors, it depends on the robot but also on the kind of tool used, on the system, etc. ! Sometimes a simple mechanical solution is better than a expensive robot.

• LR Mate 200iD is too expensive. I am trying to find a solution which is below 5000 USD. I was thinking about Ufactory xArm 5 lite. I am thinking about using a camera for giving robot a picking coordinate and to use a ultrasonic sensor to determine the position.

Can I do this?

With $5,000 you don't have enough money to do a real project. Is this for educational purposes?

Whole budget is 10000 USD. I am trying to do it with less money as I am doing this as my master thesis.

You will need something to check the orientation of your object

Sorry, I have less experience in this field. So, then the best option is to use a camera which can be use for image recognition ( which will facilitate both ; adjustment of the orientation and will also provide picking coordinates) Can you suggest any camera which can be used for this purpose?

• Can you suggest any camera which can be used for this purpose?

Sorry, I can't help you more..

Choosing an optical system is not an easy task that can be answered on a forum without knowing the background. There are so many sort of camera, so many sort of optics, so many sort of lightings depending on the application.. You have to list your needs and find the best technical solution to fulfil them.

For example for an optical system you must choose: the distance from the object to the camera, the image resolution you need, the depth of field, etc. The lighting is in general the hardest part, do your object is bright ? mat ? etc.

It is the same for choosing a robot..

Advertising from our partners