Software Request to Fanuc - the robot forum bugs and wish list

• Post here your suggestions to Fanuc for the improvement of the Fanuc robot software.

Report also bugs and security risks here.

Maybe the Fanuc development looks in here to implement ideas for updates from our community! :hi-bye:

Thanks for your suggestions, hopfully they will be included in the next update. :top:

• Password Option Improvements

1. Password Mode for PLC integration. - We would benefit a lot from having a pre-made mode for the password option wherein an identification signal and a login signal could be configured such that a thumbprint scanner could be used, run through the PLC and specific users be logged in to the robot at specific levels. Right now, the existing implementation makes it difficult if not impossible to log in via PLC with different levels.

2. Limit jogging to Cartesian coordinates with no w/p/r component without forcing the user into JGFRM. Would like to be able to force operator to work in TOOL frame but only use x/y/z, no w/p/r. Better granularity on jogging options.

3. Easier setup duplication, simple file to transfer between robots that can immediately set up User Names and Passwords. Include in the XML for level definition?

• ASCII upload should be free. This used to be a free option in the RJ3iB days, but now Fanuc charges for it. Same with Karel.

A zero percent speed. Abb's have this and it is very useful to stop the program without abort it, or having to reissue start commands.

Customizable jog step increments. I know I can change the fine move step, but that is buried in the system variables.

Ability to return a value from a TP program. Also the ability to check if an argument passed to a TP program exists.

Ability to set a string register directly. There is a way to do it via arguments into a subprogram, but it is janky. More modern string manipulation in general.

Ability to write to the TP error line without Karel.

Ability to pass a string register to the MESSAGE comment.

Advanced math without an option.

Some form of IDE for working on a robot on the floor. Ability to see where the robot is, what line it is on, what it is waiting for, set breakpoints (including logic driven break points (i.e. break on this line when DI[4]=ON)), set step mode, set variable watches, etc. See Abb's robot studio for a very well done example.

Ability to pass an argument to a RUN command.

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

• Get rid of archaic registers and implement user named variables, arrays, and data structures. All user created variables should be able to be monitored on the data screen in alphabetic order, or a filtered view.

• I second the IDE. Roboguide does not count, it is not suited for this purpose. We need an IDE focused on working with a live robot as well as text editing of programs.

This one is already available and under continous development, have you worked with iRProgrammer?

• Something like ABB's Robot Studio would indeed be nice. To be able to plug into a robot and see everything it is doing, control it from the software, pull backups, and write and revise programs is a powerful tool. Not to mention that the limited free version has no time limit.

• I have tested it. It is a good step in the right direction but needs further development. Currently it is only available for Scara robots.

Fun little trick with this one; you can create an empty SCARA cell, log into the iRProgrammer via your browser, build the programs, save them using a file back up, then copy the .TP files to another controller/workcell (as long as there are no SCARA specific commands or commands relying on software packages not present on both controllers).

I've found this to be useful when I'm in the psuedocode stage of programming as it's a bit cumbersome to go through the whole process for just one or two programs; I also agree that the iRProgrammer is a huge step up but also very, very wonky at times. If they stopped iRProgrammer from compiling, throwing errors, and locking down any keyboard progress after every line entry, I'd be much, much happier with it.

• A zero percent speed. Abb's have this and it is very useful to stop the program without abort it, or having to reissue start commands.

Customizable jog step increments. I know I can change the fine move step, but that is buried in the system variables.

Looks like Fanuc read my mind, and implemented these two requests in V9. You just have to enable them under system config.

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

• Modified integration of T1 and T2 with Fence Circuit

If the robot is in Teach and the Fence Circuit is closed, T2 is active, if the robot is in Teach and the Fence Circuit is open, T1 is active. Allows a person to safely operate the robot at full speed from the teach pendant if and only if the cell is closed and in a safe production state. Otherwise, speed is limited. We have entirely switched to two mode switches to prevent any risk of injury caused by T2 speeds, this would be a big improvement for us.

Modified integration of T1 and T2 with Fence Circuit

If the robot is in Teach and the Fence Circuit is closed, T2 is active, if the robot is in Teach and the Fence Circuit is open, T1 is active. Allows a person to safely operate the robot at full speed from the teach pendant if and only if the cell is closed and in a safe production state. Otherwise, speed is limited. We have entirely switched to two mode switches to prevent any risk of injury caused by T2 speeds, this would be a big improvement for us.

We use DCS to control what I believe you're requesting. Is this what you're looking for?

Edited once, last by brian.b ().

• We use DCS to control what I believe you're requesting. Is this what you're looking for?

Almost what i would like, but rather than disable the robot, just force it into T1. Basically, only have one Teach mode, and have the fence control whether the robot moves at full throttle or 10%.

• I just got this in Email from my Fanuc Rep.

Also – in the SCARA world, FANUC has now (since June actually) added a motion instruction called “VIA”. It works just like the Epson “JUMP” command for general pick and place applications.

This functionality was added directly due to feedback like yours. So thank you.

• 1. ssh instead of telnet, scp or sftp instead of ftp -- it's 2019, security is important.

2. Dynamic memory allocation and pointers in KAREL. Actually, I'd probably be okay with just support for data structures other than statically sized arrays and structs (Vectors/ArrayLists, maps, etc).

3. More ways to transform position datatypes, particularly relating to orientation.

4. Termination type to move through point without stopping slowing down. I know they are working on a package that might do this, but from what I've heard it'll be pretty restrictive and prone to throwing errors.

5. Ability to read safety IO directly, instead of having to map safety IO to regular IO and then reading that.

6. Better methods for communicating between TP and KAREL programs.

• I got used to Fanuc robot, however they are like from 90's with their software (for example UR are more modern to use) but I wish to have new thing in Roboguide which makes me angry. In roboguide you can't zoom objects in other ways, there's just magnifier but the moving with camera (f.e. between objects!) is missing. WHY? That thing is in every 3D program like Blender, Catia, Pro engineer etc.. So if you have some big object before the other, you can't see the other because you can't move with camera between them.

• As a newcomer to Fanuc, I think Fanuc should up their game regarding customer support as I have found most answers and assistance has been more proactive here at Robot Forum than Fanuc's responses.

Maybe Fanuc could apply some affiliation towards Robot Forum in the future perhaps?

A big shout out to all those here at Robot Forum in the Fanuc boards, as a newbie and after going through the STPP and DCS training at Fanuc, you guys/gals are providing the 'missing gear' the makes the whole thing turn.

Keep up the good work...………:beerchug:

• Get rid of archaic registers and implement user named variables, arrays, and data structures. All user created variables should be able to be monitored on the data screen in alphabetic order, or a filtered view.

Not get rid of it but add alternative. This is one of the best things that the people I train praise by comparison to ABB or MOTOMAN.

• 1. ASCII Upload

ASCII upload should be free. This used to be a free option in the RJ3iB days, but now Fanuc charges for it. Same with Karel.

hmm... if possible, I'd like program syntax check when upload.
    like a .... Kawasaki Terminal.

or *.TP conversion *.PE or *.LS without fanuc TP environment.

need 3rd certified application or fanuc official program for upload ability.

R507! R507! R507!

2. Client Program

why FANUC didn't support like a "ROBOT_STUDIO(ABB)" application?
    Roboguide has a power full function and good ability. but... not a free software.

they are looks like a Scrooge :face_with_tongue:

I'm often make "Education manual" document for End_User.

create screen_shot with robotstudio Program

this app support virtual Teaching Pendant. and almost function support.

you hadn't roboGUIDE license? Insert USB and Select PRINT omg...

3. Union Ui, Uo signal length.

Ui 1~ 18, Uo 1~20 .. stop. stop.

just fix total 20bits each Ui , Uo please.

it is very uncomfortable arrange Ui, Uo, Di, Do with PLC Addres.

4. SHIFT makes increase fatigue.

J591! J591! J591!

Look out other maker robots.

they are needs when jogging only deadman switch.

why we have to mix SHIFT + JOG or SHIFT+FWD & BWD ??

too hurt wrist and finger.

5. RS232 communicate.

Why fanuc didn't open this serial port?

and, Basic instruction NOT SUPPORT control for RS_232C communicate.

.... they are try to sell iRVision System?

defense 3rd part vision company?

more important is, FANUC iRVision too expensive and not comfortable.

Maintenance team said too hard modify or setup.

yeah yeah, I know. me too.

with register value, we can control 3rd_part Vision Program.

Trigger, Receive Result, XYZWPR Value, etc...

Cannot receive X,Y,R value?
    You have to purchase ethernet communicate option... :angry_face:

FANUC still occur wrist & finger fatigue.

I'd like a more open basic component similar ABB

ABB, FANUC, Hyundai, Kawasaki

Advertising from our partners