Software Request to Fanuc - the robot forum bugs and wish list

• Matthew,

Just about the only time I find it worth it to bring up the on-screen keyboard is when entering System variable names or occasional commenting. With most other things being less than 16 characters I find it much quicker to use the 10 key letter entry. This is probably because I learned on the legacy pendant, and still work on plenty of rj-3/r30i-A equipment. Plus you can use the ten-key while wearing gloves.

If I am starting a new project, I use the comment tool and FEXCEL to do the heavy lifting. I also rough out most of my TP programs and their comments in notepad ++ or in iRProgrammer.

TLDR; I try to avoid entering any text on the teach pendant, but if I have to, I find the keypad to be faster.

• So interesting, my students (this younger generation) can't stand 10 key. But I see you're point. So I officially revise my suggestion to make it so that you can make 10 key or keyboard the default. Also agree that typing most of the comments using the ipendant tools on newer systems is preferred over all others generally speaking.

• I prefer to use the function keys as well for typing in comments when it's too much of a hassle to hookup via the web server. I've never liked the on-screen keyboard and will only use it if I have to for specific characters. I'll usually resort to just plugging in a USB keyboard before doing that though, I really do despise the onscreen keyboard.

• I use a mixture of both myself along with entering in via USB Keyboard plugged into the iPendant or plugged ethernet into the controller.

Final verdict: If the Keyboard was easier to use 80% of the time (no miss hits, slow response time, etc.) I would also advise making keyboard a default option to choose.

Until the keyboard loads faster and is a better user experience, leave it as is. Plus using the function keys is great for editing quick small details. Don't forget Shift + Right Cursor deletes!

Lastly, shortcuts people...they're not bad to learn and they're easy to replicate once you get the muscle memory down. ENTER, UP, F5! BOOM and VOILA! INSTANT-O KEYBOARD-O!

• More robust utility of the USB port on the door {UD1:} would be nice. The port seems very sensitive to the capacity of the USB drive and even its brand name. Sandisk is good, but so are many other brands, and drives with a capacity of only 2 GB are getting hard to find.

• More robust utility of the USB port on the door {UD1:} would be nice. The port seems very sensitive to the capacity of the USB drive and even its brand name. Sandisk is good, but so are many other brands, and drives with a capacity of only 2 GB are getting hard to find.

But... you don't need 2GB USB sticks anymore. That is a limitation only on early R30iA robots. I use my Kingston 8 Gb easily for those as well, it just takes a while for it to be read. Everything after R30iB works with whatever USB stick you want to use.

• Let me minimize the RoboGuide Virtual Teach pendant.

Closing it and having to reopen all my displays and wait for it to start again is annoying, but so is dragging it around my screen all day, especially with only one screen/on a laptop.

• Let me minimize the RoboGuide Virtual Teach pendant.

Closing it and having to reopen all my displays and wait for it to start again is annoying, but so is dragging it around my screen all day, especially with only one screen/on a laptop.

Not sure if you know, but if you Right Click on the VTP in the bottom grey area you can uncheck mark "Show At Top Most" or something along those lines. Hope this helps.

• Not sure if you know, but if you Right Click on the VTP in the bottom grey area you can uncheck mark "Show At Top Most" or something along those lines. Hope this helps.

Wow that is helpful. Also very counter intuitive. Who would click there?

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

• Not sure if you know, but if you Right Click on the VTP in the bottom grey area you can uncheck mark "Show At Top Most" or something along those lines. Hope this helps.

WOW, Years of using roboguide, and I never found this. There's also all kinds of other useful stuff there as well (ex you can change the UD1 and UT1 file location without digging through menus).

Roboforums really needs that bit coin/beer tipping feature.

• WOW, Years of using roboguide, and I never found this. There's also all kinds of other useful stuff there as well (ex you can change the UD1 and UT1 file location without digging through menus).

Roboforums really needs that bit coin/beer tipping feature.

Haha, I never thought of mentioning it before because I didn't think it was all that well hidden. Then again I'm usually one who, when learning new software, tends to click EVERYWHERE and try to break whatever I'm working on to learn how it works. Nice thing with software is if you break it too much, just End Task, re-open and try again!

• Bug Report: Sometimes when pressing F8 with the Virtual TP focused, disables keyboard shortcuts. I then have to press the keyboard button at the top of the VTP to re-enable keyboard shortcuts. F8 does not always cause this and I have not been able to pint point the sequence of events/keystrokes/whatever it may be that causes keyboard shortcuts to be disabled when pressing F8 to bring up the VTP Menu.

• IIC Zones are now editable in Roboguide CHUI world just like DCS and Space Check Zones! I just noticed this, so maybe Revision R brought in this functionality? I don't remember seeing it in the What's New notes though.

Advertising from our partners