Fanuc Configuring Digital I/O

• Hello,

Please i am trying to understand how can i configure Digital I/O.
    i am little bit confused about the difference between Digital I/O and Configuring Group I/O.

my points as in below:

1) DO [1 - 8] range , Rack 0 , Slot 1 , Start 21 what is the physical meaning by [ Range, Rack, Slot, Start ]
    2) which kind of configuration I need to configure Group output 1 to make DO 3 active and DO 5

I know my question is very basic but really i need a simple explanation to imagine this configuration.

Thanks ,
    Moelsayed

• Digital IO are boolean values, either "on" or "off". Group IO is a group of bits that form an integer.

1. Range, rack, slot start. Range is the range of IO points to configure, in your example DO[1] through DO[8]. Rack is which module or protocol is being used for communication. Rack 0 is for Process IO (or mem port). Slot 1 means the first physical process IO board. Start 21 means that DO[1] is mapped to terminal 21 on the IO board.

2. Your second question doesn't make sense. You can configure Group IO and Digital IO to the same exact location, by using the same configuration. Remember Group IO is a group of bits so a single group output could control up to 16 digital outputs. The question is why do you want to do this. Why not just turn on DO[3] and DO[5] directly? Why involve another IO type?

• Digital IO are boolean values, either "on" or "off". Group IO is a group of bits that form an integer.

1. Range, rack, slot start. Range is the range of IO points to configure, in your example DO[1] through DO[8]. Rack is which module or protocol is being used for communication. Rack 0 is for Process IO (or mem port). Slot 1 means the first physical process IO board. Start 21 means that DO[1] is mapped to terminal 21 on the IO board.

2. Your second question doesn't make sense. You can configure Group IO and Digital IO to the same exact location, by using the same configuration. Remember Group IO is a group of bits so a single group output could control up to 16 digital outputs. The question is why do you want to do this. Why not just turn on DO[3] and DO[5] directly? Why involve another IO type?

Minor add in for why someone might want to do this.

We use some instances of Group I/O corresponding to a range of Digital I/O, so that a GI/GO represents the full status of a machine, and as the process runs, individual bits can be toggled as the status is updated, but then at the start or end of the process, the whole Group can be set to an integer to quickly and easily reset to a known status. Can also be helpful using a cross list of integers and meanings so that someone who doesn't understand binary can still see that GI/GO = Number means that this machine is ready to go.

• It's really thank you for your detailed explanation now i understand this subject.

i did new configuration and when i am running test program in simulation to see the result i found the GO had a value 138.
    i tried to do kind of initialization for this group but i am getting this value.

please find the attachment.

Thanks for your help.
    Elsayed

Advertising from our partners