Controlling ABB robot arm(irb 1200) with siemens PLC

• Hi,
    Yes I inquired with ABB for this software, its quite expensive so i will have to go with discrete option only. However, for one robot which has DSQC 1003 card already installed in it will communicate with PLC through profinet protocol, I believe only DSQC 688 adapter will be enough for communication.

Thanks,

• Hi,
    Got your point, so without DSQC 688 adapter profinet communication is possible if my robot has Profinet software (Part number: 3HAC054344-001 ). If I get the software, how this protocol can be configured. Can you provide details, robot studio help doesn't contain this interface information.

Thanks,

• Hi,

I am getting this error while connecting ABB IRC5 controller with Siemens S7-1200 PLC on PROFINET platform . kindly help how can I set up this connection successfully.

Regards,

• Hi,

I am using GSDML file provided by ABB vendor and they have confirmed this is the correct file. may be I have made mistake in installing GSD file.

Can you share detailed step by step process for installation. I am using Siemens S7-1200 plC and IRB 1200 ABB robot. Your kind help is really appreciated.

Thanks,

• i have only had a one-time, brief, exposure to PROFINET and struggled to make it operational. Also. that was 2 years ago and recall little of the process.

I suggest finding the ABB Application manual PROFINET Controller/Device and use that as your guide.

Edited once, last by SomeTekk ().

• Hi,

As you can see below snap shows network overview give information of PROFINET interface and GSD device but still when I go online it shows error. am I making mistake while going online?

After establishing this connection what should be correct step to go online. Please advise.

Thanks,

Raza

• Hi,

I think its done, thanks for your help.

Do you have some catalogue for TIA Portal Profinet usage, means what are the things I can control in ABB robot with Profinet. If you have some sample program please share, your help really appreciated.

Thanks,

• Hi,

Although it shows profinet connection is established but why firmware version and LAN3 port are not visible in device overview pan. One more thing, I just want to confirm, for this Profinet to be functioning should I have both service port and LAN3 connectionn ? , because if I remove either of them the connection goes off. Since only one port in my PC is working so I am using switch for service as well as LAN3 connection.

My RobotWare Version is: 6.01.1010, if you can share GSDML file or can tell me the source I will try to re install this file, may be because of that I am facing this problem

Thanks,

• Hello,

It's been a while since I set up profinet on a robot, but when we did it, I had to load a file, IPPNIO.xml, to the robot, so that the robot knew how to talk on Profinet. Did you do this step?

the Profinet Configurator program that ABB supplied built the IPPNIO file, and then in config you had to point the system to the location of the file.

It's been a number of years since I did this, on RW 5.61, so the process may have changed since then.

• I'm working with ABB's YuMi (IRB14000) and there is no need to implement the ippnio.xml manually..

i attached 2 gsdml's here, one is v1.2 and the other v1.4. BUT i'm using Robotware v6.08.00.01, so dont know if there are any complications to elder versions.

If you want to access both at same time, irc AND plc, i guess you need 2network ports..but i'm not sure about that. I'm working with 2 laptops, one for RS and one for TIA so there's no problem.

At the beginning, i tried same thing like you (1switch) but either RS connection or PN connection were very unstable, got many disconnections and couldnt really work with it..

For basic functionality, you can take a look at configuration->i/o-system->system input/output.

But basically you can run everything over PN, like send/receive coordinates, run interrupts, start different program sequences..

• Hi,

I am using ABB (IRC5) controller as a slave only and PLC suppose to control the robot. But I really don't have any idea how to program PLC for such a control over profinet interface. If any one can share some project example or PLC program for this control.

Thanks,

Advertising from our partners