Controlling ABB robot arm(irb 1200) with siemens PLC

• Hi All,

I want to control ABB robot arm (IRB 1200) with siemens (S7 1200) PLC, I am not aware about the exact requirement. However, my PLC has profinet communication protocol and robot arm has anybus adapter/RS232 expansion board(DSQC1003). In this case can I communicate between PLC and robot arm with Profinet Anybus Adapter (DSQC 688) or do I need some other module.
    I have two separate robots, is there any way to communicate between two robots and robot 1 can communicate with PLC.

CONSOLE------------->PLC--------->ROBOT1------------>ROBOT2.

Please suggest, your kind response will be really appreciated.

Thanks,

• Hi,
    Thanks for your prompt response, yes I have two separate robot arms (IRB-1200) with separate controllers. since only one robot controller has anybus adapter/RS232 expansion board(DSQC1003) so I believe only this robot can be connected with siemens PLC (S7-1200) with PROFINET slave card ABB DSQC 688. therefore I want to achieve below connection.

CONSOLE------------->PLC--------->ROBOT1------------>ROBOT2.

Thanks,

• Hi,
    or can I use PLC digital output hardwire connection to enable some of the robot moves, because if this is possible I can ignore robot1 to robot2 communication.

your feedback is really appreciated.

Thanks,

• For one robot to be master to the other, some type of protocol must be used, be it devicenet or whatever. The second robot must also have that protocol option also, even only a slave device. Yes, if you have some digital IO cards, then discrete inputs/outputs can be used for coordination, as this is often the case.

• Hi,
    Are you talking about DSQC 652? it is there in both of my robots (IRB-1200) with external 24 vdc power supply. so I can use PLC digital output to control robots.
    Do I need any specific configuration for this kind of co ordination or just as a flag signals I can use in PLC program.
    Your valuable feedback is really appreciated.

Thanks,

• Yes, you can use those boards as a bare bones minimum; you only have 16 in and 16 out. But common system signal inputs and outputs will be necessary. Motors on/off, start/stop program and such. But, with the one robot having the profinet, you could have many more signals going to it, and then use the D652 to send signals between the two robots for coordination.

• May I ask why you don't upgrade the 2nd robot with ProfiNet as well ?

While it is technically possible to do what you're trying to do it seems like a really long way around the problem of not wanting to spend some money on the upgrade, plus now, if R1 goes down, so does your whole cell/setup (which might be the case anyway depending on how the cell / application is set up to begin with).

What level of PLC control are you going for ? Start/Stop, motors on/off, start from main ? and that's about it, or are you thinking program control, etc. ?

• Yes, you can use those boards as a bare bones minimum; you only have 16 in and 16 out. But common system signal inputs and outputs will be necessary. Motors on/off, start/stop program and such. But, with the one robot having the profinet, you could have many more signals going to it, and then use the D652 to send signals between the two robots for coordination.

Hi,
    I want to use for one robot profinet adapter, and for another robot will manage with discrete signal. because I have limited budget for this project. however for robot to robot communication I believe LAN3 -LAN3 ethernet connection may work.
    still I will be needing your help for one robot profinet connection, how can I configure, do you have step by step details.

Thanks

• May I ask why you don't upgrade the 2nd robot with ProfiNet as well ?

While it is technically possible to do what you're trying to do it seems like a really long way around the problem of not wanting to spend some money on the upgrade, plus now, if R1 goes down, so does your whole cell/setup (which might be the case anyway depending on how the cell / application is set up to begin with).

What level of PLC control are you going for ? Start/Stop, motors on/off, start from main ? and that's about it, or are you thinking program control, etc. ?

Hi,
    Yes I have limited budget for this project, since one of my robot already has anybus adapter/RS232 expansion board so aonly profinet adapter I need to buy, while for another robot I need to buy both. I want t use on a basic level only, plc will be connected to conveyor with sensors and as per sensors feedback robot need to operate, like putting/picking some object from the conveyor. I have ABB integrated vision system in one of the robot that will have profinet connection, while other will work with discrete signal.

Thanks,

• Hi,
    I want to use for one robot profinet adapter, and for another robot will manage with discrete signal. because I have limited budget for this project. however for robot to robot communication I believe LAN3 -LAN3 ethernet connection may work.
    still I will be needing your help for one robot profinet connection, how can I configure, do you have step by step details.

Thanks

• Hi,
    I want to communicate between two IRC5 robot through ethernet cable, I am trying lan3 port on either side but robot studio is not showing EtherNet IP (industrial network) option for my robot its just showing devicenet option.
    please advice, how I can establish this communication.

Thanks,

• Hi,
    No I did not purchase ethernet adapter, because my PLC has profinet option so I am planning to buy profinet adapter for PLC and one robot communication. But meanwhile I am trying to communicate between two robots, so apart from discrete signal how can I communicate between two robots.

Thanks,

• Upon reviewing the manual and your earlier posts, I think that the DSQC 1003 is irrelevant. You don't need the DSQC 688 to use profinet, you can also use the LAN port. You do need the software option Profinet device 888-3 minimum. The PLC can serve as master, while the two robots are devices. I actually have a very recent quote from ABB for 888-3 option, $1372 USD.

Advertising from our partners