J1 motor tries to turn but can't

• I've got an arc-mate 100 ib robot with a R-j3 ib controller. My j1 axis will not move, the errors i am receiving are srvo-024 move error excess, srvo-124 check hardstop if hit. Ive verified that the brake is good, its receiving the correct voltage to release the break, and the gears inside the robot body are not in a bind. I pulled the motor and ran it outside the body and it tries to move but physically cant and then faults. Again, the brake and voltage to the brake are good, as well as all the gears and motor voltage, so I'm at a loss as to what the problem could be. Any help at all would be much appreciated, please and thank you in advance.

• Assuming the motor is the right motor type for J1. Some things to try. You need to figure out if it’s the motor, brake, or pulsecoder. Try removing the motor power and then energize the brake so it releases. Try and see if you can turn the motor shaft. the shaft might be easier to rotate if still attached to robot. Just grab the arm and rotate. But removing the motor is safer. I am not familiar with the arc mate but be careful. Doing this will release the brake and any external force should move the robot. Or on axes that are energized they will fight your motion and may jump. If I was doing this I would remove the brake/motor power on j2j3j4j5j6 just to make sure robot can’t move those axes. Or use a brake release box/device if you have one. If you can move the motor like this then. It might be the pulsecoder or motor power cable. Only way to diagnose that really is to replace it. Either swap pulsecoders or swap motors. Swapping with different motor/pulse makes sure cables don’t have an issue.
    Hope this helps.

• Sounds like the brake is bad.

You really haven't described testing the brake in any real way...

originally we thought it was the break so we bought a new motor, the brake, pulsecoder, and motor are brand new

• Assuming the motor is the right motor type for J1. Some things to try. You need to figure out if it’s the motor, brake, or pulsecoder. Try removing the motor power and then energize the brake so it releases. Try and see if you can turn the motor shaft. the shaft might be easier to rotate if still attached to robot. Just grab the arm and rotate. But removing the motor is safer. I am not familiar with the arc mate but be careful. Doing this will release the brake and any external force should move the robot. Or on axes that are energized they will fight your motion and may jump. If I was doing this I would remove the brake/motor power on j2j3j4j5j6 just to make sure robot can’t move those axes. Or use a brake release box/device if you have one. If you can move the motor like this then. It might be the pulsecoder or motor power cable. Only way to diagnose that really is to replace it. Either swap pulsecoders or swap motors. Swapping with different motor/pulse makes sure cables don’t have an issue.
    Hope this helps.

I tried this and I could not move the robot, it faulted with a stop excess error which re-engaged the brake, I'm assuming because the pulsecoder read that it was beginning to move and not receiving a command to move. I did check continuity between the motor power cable and the plug on the base of the robot and I had continuity so the motor power cable has no breaks in it and none of the legs are shorted to ground.

• I had this same issue few days ago, we took servo for J1 off and we could not move the motor. We kept getting a collision detect alarm. The alarm you are getting (disturbance excess) is probably similar, but not as hard on the robot as a collision detect IMO.

You will have to remaster using single axis mastering and calibrate the robot if you swap out motors.

Advertising from our partners