overview on adding 7th axis to krc2 ed05

• Could anybody please give me a bullet list of what parts it would entail to add a 7th axis to a ed05 system? Drive, servo, signal cable, reaolver cable, etc.

I'm wondering if this is something I can do with a few eBay purchases and some soldering, or if I need to drop 10k extra on a system with it pre-installed.

I've done it with a few ABB systems but this is my first step into the kuka world.

Thank you!

Edited once, last by kb ().

• Depends on cabinet if it has the extra wiring for the servos already installed. Most do

If you look at the cabinet can you see the extra cables tied back next to blanking plates...Top left side.

You will need

1 x servo
    1 x motor
    1 X E1 motor cable to go to the bottom of the controller
    1 x E1 Motor power cable to go to the motor
    1 X E1 data cable to go to the RDC

• Chances are your controller may only have plain cover where 7th axis drive is to be mounted. In that case you need to replace it with modular one that has two windows. One of them will need a cover too.

So need circuit breaker for the motor brake (F19, 2A).

Maybe you also want SBM and X16 interface....

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• A few caveats:

The Servo driver module (the white module) needs to be spec'd to match the servo motor it's driving. They come in different Amperage ratings. You can usually just grab one from another KRC2, as long as you keep the specs in mind.

You'll need an Interbus cable (regular RJ45 should do) to "daisy chain" from the N6 servo module to the N7 that you're adding. If you look at the original internal setup, you'll see that a series of these white RJ45 cables start from the MFC and progress MFC>KPS>N1>N2>N3... etc. This is how the MFC communicates with the servo modules.

The power cables for the N7 servo module (the flat black connectors) should be already present in the empty N7 and N8 positions in the cabinet. However, the cable from the N7 module to the motor has to be obtained separately -- you can't simply steal the bits from another KRC2. The N1-N6 modules all "merge" at the main motor connector(s) at the base of the KRC2. The external axis kits include the N7 cabling and a single-servo bulkhead connector to add to the KRC2's lower bulkhead.

Likewise, the connection between the KRC4 and the robot merge all the motor wiring for A1-A6 into one (or two, for the heavy models) cables, sharing a single rectangular Harting connector (and then subdivides down into single-motor cables to each motor). But for a single external axis, you need a single-motor cable to go between the motor and the KRC4.

The data cable, which needs to go from the motor's resolver socket to the RDC board in the robot's base, is something you could probably strip off another KR robot (although it would take some work to fish out), but the length could be an issue.

Advertising from our partners