I/O Configuration of 3 finger adaptive robotiq gripper on KUKA iiwa R820

• Hello all,
    I have mounted the 3 finger adaptive Robotiq gripper on the kuka iiwa robot.
    The robot has electrical media flange.

The version of Sunrise workbench is 1.14.1.15, works visual installed is 5.0 V5.0.2_Build0313 along with Sunrise (V1.3.14.0) options.

I am looking forward to configure the IO of the 3 finger Robotiq adaptive gripper.

Could someone kindly guide me on how to configure the IO in works visual?

P.S I followed the steps show in the https://dof.robotiq.com/discus…nger-gripper-on-kuka-iiwa. and got stuck at the point where it suggests to configure the gripper in works visual.

• [size=2]that version of WoV matches that OS.[/size]
    [size=2]but you must also install Patch for WoV (replaces some files in two folders, instructions are in the patch).[/size]
    [size=2]if you don't have patch, contact KUKA. it is essential, this will not work without patch.[/size]

[size=2]Next you need to integrate Sunrise.KOP into Workvisual.[/size]
    [size=2]KOP file is included with your SunriseWorkbench.[/size]
    [size=2]Open WoV, do not open any projects, use menu Extras>Option Package Management then add KOP.[/size]

[size=2]And of course you need to integrate catalog elements (device description files) of each new device into WoV DTM catalog.[/size]
    [size=2]You should be able to get ESI file from gripper manufacturer (Robotiq).[/size]
    [size=2]Then start WoV without opening any project, use menu File:Import/Export>Import Device Dsecription File and navigate to ESI file. Change filter in lower right corner to ESI so you can see the file you are browsing for.[/size]

[size=2]Now that WoV is prepared, it is ready to be used.[/size]

[size=2]Open SWB and expand your most recent SunriseOS project. Among files you will see *.VWS.[/size]
    [size=2]Double click on it and it will be open in WoV.[/size]
    [size=2]Note: When it comes to IO configuration, everything is done in WoV. SWB cannot use WoV project directly so after you are done with config, use menu File>Import/Eport>Sunrise [/size]
    [size=2]several files in your SunruseOS project (one where you clicked on WoV project) will be modified or added. After this you are done with WoV, just sync the project with IIWA.[/size]

[size=2]Actual WoV configuration is well explained in help and manual. Basically, first you need to add things to your bus.[/size]
    [size=2]double click on cabinet icon in project to activate controller. this allows expanding Bus structures.[/size]

[size=2]check if among them is one for KEB/X44. if not, right click on Bus structure and add it. [/size]

[size=2]Also make sure to check schematics. Depending on your specific configuration, X44 may be unused, connected directly to X69 interface, or there could be some other IO between X44 and X69. Whatever physical ocnnections are, software configuration must reflect it in KEB/X44 bus topology.[/size]

[size=2]Right click on KEB/X44 bus and add your Robotiq controller. [/size]

[size=2]Click on IO mapping. Screen is split in two sides: left and right.[/size]

[size=2]On the left side go to Sunrise tab (last tab, this is why we had to integrate KOP into WoV).[/size]
    [size=2]Then you can create new group and signals that are part of the group.[/size]

[size=2]On the right side select Fieldbusses, then navigate to Robotiq under KEB/X44.[/size]
    [size=2]When you click on gripper, lower right pane will show signals that gripper controller has.[/size]

[size=2]Basically you need to replicate those on the left side and connect them.[/size]
    [size=2]Check help and manual for details.[/size]

[size=2]After export and using SWB to sync project with Sunruse controller, your new IO is available.[/size]

[size=2]Now it can be injected as a resource into your programs and you can read/write individual I/O.[/size]

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Hi,
    Thanks for the response. I am a novice and therefore I am trying to learn things, therefore I have few more questions.

1. I have the patch file. Could you kindly tell me how to verify if the path was installed correctly? or If possible could you kindly tell me how to do this?
    2. Like said in the 2nd paragraph, Meun-> Extra-> Option package management and it shows Sunrise (1.3.14.0),is this the KOP package? Ref: kuka KOP_robotic Forum.JPG / kuka KOP_robotic Forum1.JPG
    3. Does ESI file mean the driver file? I contacted robotiq and they sent me an driver file for the gripper.

• Patch comes with instructions. You need to manually replace some files in folder where WoV is installed.

Yes that is the KOP.

No ESI is device description fille. It contains info and settings needed to integrate it into a network. Every network has own file: GSD, EDS, GSDML, ....

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• I created a detailed library on github to control Robotiq grippers via Ethercat by LBR IIWA robots, either by robot programs or directly from the User Buttons on the SmartPad.

I use the 2 fingers grippers, but I think it would be the same for 3 fingers one, except the device's .XML description file. Otherwise, you have to change just few stuff.

https://www.robot-forum.com/ro…rcat/msg131976/#msg131976

https://github.com/ELZo3/Robot…per-2F85-EtherCat-Control

• Thank you for your reply.

• The communication to the gripper has been established. I used the configuration advanced control mode from the gripper mode for IO mapping.
    I am trying to write a simple code on the kuka sunrise workbench on gripper opening, closing, and modes of the gripper.
    But I am not sure on how to send the values to the gripper to actuate it. Can you kindly provide some support on this as well?

Thanks

Advertising from our partners