Kawasaki D series controller with ZX165U Robot

• Hello all

My company bought a second hand Kawasaki handling robot that was doing spot welding in Australia. It had a spot welding gun (which we have taken off - we will put a gripper on it for handling piping)and had an external axis attached as well.

When we start up the robot, it comes up with the following error:(D2008) Magnet is Contactor of group1 is stuck.

I cannot clear this (Major alarm) and I am not sure what group1 is. Is it perhaps in the controller or maybe it was the spot welding control cabinet and it is waiting for an ok return signal?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I have worked with Yaskawa for a few years but this is my first experience with Kawasaki robots.

• From your description, it sounds like the Robot potentially was also setup using 'separate control'.
    By this I mean, an additional cabinet is installed to the right hand side which contains further amplifiers to control external axes.
    (Something similar to the attached perhaps).

Is this the case here?
    Can you provide a picture of the Controller cabinet and the internal boards?
    Can you provide a previous file save? (you would need to change the file extension to .txt to upload it here).

The reason I ask, is that there are 2 ways to possibly address not only this problem, but with further potential problems:
    1. Leave it with it's current hardware and disable what you don't need as you go along.
    2. Remove the non-standard hardware for handling, re-initialize it and re-configure the settings.

However, to look at some pro-active action.
    That error is relating to feedback of signals from the external contactors.
    These signals would normally come into a 1GW/1HW board (IO) or possibly fieldbus (maybe CCLINK).
    Without these signals, these types of errors will be generated.
    So I would look into AUX 0601 and AUX 0602.
    - These are dedicated signals area, and I would expect to see many additional input signals such as PN_CMD and PN_ON for each Group.
    - I would go down all of these and undedicated them.
    - Then check if this removes the error in the first instance.

• Hello kwakisaki

Although I have not seen the additional cabinet you have attached, I strongly suspect that this was the case, as it has both joint 7 (gun) and joints 8 & 9 (manipulator, or turn/tilt). My employer bought this robot quite a few years ago and has had it in storage, this is only my second week here. I am currently busy changing all the signals in AUX 0601 and AUX 0602. Just happy that it looks like I am on the right track. I will let you know what happens :icon_smile:

• The 'standard' D Controller cabinet can itself house upto 2 additional amplifiers JT7 and JT8 without the requirement of an additional cabinet.
    However, as you've mentioned JT9, that would mean 3 and I cannot see a separate cabinet just for 1 axis, so it would be logical to have had the additional cabinet for JT7/JT8/JT9.
    Check inside the cabinet, directly above the Power Block (lower right hand side, large vertical unit), directly above there are 2 expansion slots where the additional amplifiers for JT7/JT8, this would give you a definitive answer I think.

With the additional cabinet, you could have upto 16 axes configured in the system, whether they are positioners, turntables, or XYZ positioners etc.

If you can clear that error, I would suspect you may receive additional errors relating to encoders of JT7/JT8/JT9 and that would be a case of 'disconnecting the axis' in software for the additional axes.
    - This I can provide you some pointers with to assist you if required.

However I would recommend the alternate route of to carry out a re-initialisation and setup as a genuine 6 axis handling, removing all remanence of the separate control functions as it could turn out to be a very time consuming exercise 'un-picking' the old configuration.

But, would be a nice challenge to try and 'reverse engineer' the configuration to a 6 axis...…..but possibly some.... :wallbash: ahead.....

• - This I can provide you some pointers with to assist you if required

Please do, as I said, I know Yaskawa setup quite well but have only been working with Kawasaki for about a week

• Yep, looking at the MHR03 backup, looks like servo gun software and the additional axes are included too.
    Also, you have additional boards in there:
    1 additional IO and what looks like (with the orange connector) either device net or CC Link fieldbus installed.
    Also X7 and X8 are not configured to allow you to even get motor power on.

I think it will be a 'mean exercise' to try and reverse engineer it (IMHO) and I think you will be in a position of clearing one error and getting another.

1 question for you, is there a 'black box' on the top of the elbow (JT3) approx. 200mmx100mm as in the back it suggest there is an arm id board installed - this will be inside that box.....can you check?

• Great pictures by the way...……. :top:
    Looking a little closer, I can see it's a CC Link (1HS Board).
    Also, the supply for the servo gun picture, is the weld timer (I think).

What I can supply is (will take me a couple of days to get together):
    1. AS and SV firmware to return it to a standard handling robot.
    2. A 'dummy' file from KROSET (Simulation) to load in with standard handling settings for the ZX165.

I would advise to remove the 1HS board, move IO board at OPT3 to OPT1 (where the 1HS board used to be) and remove the IO board in OPT4 as this would return it to a 'standard' handling controller from a hardware perspective.
    The removed boards could be re-added later on if required.

I think it's doable to return it to handling and you may need to remove any additional services attached to the arm, as they wouldn't be required......except for the 'black box' I was referring to (I'm sure it has one).

• Thank you Kwakisaki, your help is most appreciated. I have attached pictures of the following:
    1) Arm Id board
    2) Our current Material handling robot with pedestal drill.
    3) Servo motor from spot gun arm

We want to use the servo motor in the attached pics to control the quill feed. Currently it is just an auto engaged feed with sensor feedback that wastes a lot of time until it actually gets to the pipes it is drilling. I would then need to use the supplied Aux block to control this motor. I would imagine that I would then change cards differently to what you have suggested, but we can still remove the external axis control board(s)? Please have a look and let me know if I need to clarify anything for you...

Semaj

• Not too sure I'm on the same page as you...….I am very confused...…. ???.....but as I read it, you have 2 robots:
    - one in use handling pipes to present to a drill station.
    - one which has been in storage which used to be a servo weld gun system.

You are looking at either:
    - exchanging the drill feed motor with the unused servo motor from the robot from storage to control the height of the drill.
    - which would require changing your current 6 axis robot to a 7 axis system.
    - not looking at re-commissioning the old servo gun weld robot at all.

Am I missing reading this...……... :hmmm:

• You are correct.

We want to take the old robot out and replace it with the one that was in storage. Then, we will link in the servo control motor to the feed on the spindle to control the feed rate and improve cycle time. We do not want to use the spot gun at all. The old robot is giving problems with communication on one of the motors, so instead of replacing encoder or motor or harness (could be any of these) and re-programming, we want to put the newer robot in and upgrade the cell at the same time.

• Ah, ok...….so this could be a lot simpler then.
    - Existing Controller in production is 6 axes and same ZX Series Model Robot with Arm ID also that you have in storage?
    - You could then use existing controller for replacement arm.
    - If so, then just swap arms over, ARM ID contains zeroing data/model and serial no.
    - When swapped, on Power up you will see a question relating to different arm, do you wish to use controller or arm settings.
    - Select Arm and Controller will update with replacement arm zero and model information.

See attached ARM ID Manual for explanation of function and also look towards end for screens on power up after swap over.
    ****Make sure you create backup of production robot before you swap, just in case****

Then it would be a case of removing old JT7 amplifier from storage controller, connecting in production controller.
    Then increase no. of axes to 7 and configure external axis parameters for resolution/distance travel limits.
    Then fit motor to drill and test.

Sounds simple, but I think achievable.

Also attached is External Axis Manual/Servo parameters manual to help you look at and also this thread where I highlight process of setting resolution and external axis parameters.
    https://www.robot-forum.com/ro…um/external-axis-settings

You will need External Axis Parameter file which you can obtain from storage robot backup file.

• Hi Kwakisaki

Sorry in the delay, only getting back onto this now (work happens... :icon_confused:)

I have done as you suggested above, my boss wants to keep the (spare) replacement robot with its own controller, simply so that we can get it working in our workshop, bring in the spare Drill Press, and set up the servo feed before we interfere with the (current) production robot.

Now that I have returned the spare robot to a handling robot (from a hardware perspective), do I just initialise it and go through the setup? Or do I still need the AS and SV firmware you mentioned, and a dummy file from KROSET?

Semaj

my boss wants to keep the (spare) replacement robot with its own controller, simply so that we can get it working in our workshop

Makes sense, and the good thing is you have a robot system you can 'devote sometime' to in terms of developing and learning on.

IMHO You've got 3 main directions here now (summarised):

1. Continue to use the controller in it's current configuration (some further work required to 'strip out' what you don't need).
    - There are additional steps required to remove the 'group' messages (which I think I have the solution).
    - Do a 'user' initialization (which removes existing user data such as programs/variables etc).
    - Reset the Model information to only 7 axes.
    - This will retain the external axis parameter data and therefore just require some simple tuning/configuration.
    - Reallocate your IO and settings to match your production robot.
    - Loading in programs etc from your production robot.

2. Reinitialize and return firmware to handling and completely rebuild from scratch (would probably take the most time).
    - Loading in a dummy file for a standardised configuration so that the robot is functional, with minimum settings.
    - You would then need to check/re-zero, set IO allocations locally and if used, also on the Arm ID.
    - Setup and configure a TCP (if you are to use the same tool as your production robot, you could obtain the data from that.
    - Add additional axis and configure it in software (you should have the existing electrical connections already made).
    - But you would be in a position of there would not be any erroneous problems from any additional settings left over from the previous.

3. Reinitialize and return firmware to handling.
    - Load in a backup from your production robot (cloning it basically with all the IO, dedicated signals and system settings).
    - Do a 'user' initialization (which removes existing user data such as programs/variables etc).
    - Change the serial no. and add additional axis and configure it in software (you should have the existing electrical connections already made).
    - Extract the servo parameters from your old backup and load them in.
    - Connect the JT7 motor (clamp it down) and do some initial setup and configuration to get it moving accurately and smoothly.
    - Load in the programs from your production robot and incorporate the drill motor addition.

Either way, may take time and questions from me and yourself so a good dedicated time slot would be beneficial to 'break the back' of it.
    So if you have been granted the time, it would be a good journey for sure...………….
    There are obviously no guarantees, but I can't see anything major preventing it.

Just a case of 'choosing a flavour' now and proceeding.

• After discussion with my boss and the owner, we are going to decide on option 3.

I have a jig to build, so will be busy for a while, but my boss has agreed that he will set aside some dedicated time so that I can
    fully concentrate and apply myself to getting this robot set up and running. Thanks for your guidance and suggestions, always
    appreciated :applaus:

Semaj

• There's other routes too.....but IMHO I think they are simplest and yep, I think the 3rd option has the best chance of going into production earlier too.
    In that case, I have just sent you a PM with some further details.

• Cheers for the additional information.
    I think would be the best course of action is not to do anything with the firmware (I don't think it is necessary).
    But to directly clone your storage robot from your production robot and set it with the correct Robot Model, zeroing data as a 6 axes to start with.
    This way, you can check and confirm, robot is functional and can be moved freely with no additional errors.

1. Install the internal boards in the card rack in the same configuration as your production robot, No need to remove/disconnect the JT7 amplifier or connections.

2. Carry out the hardware initialization procedure attached.
    - This will render the robot inoperable, but clear out ALL the previous configurations, basically an empty controller.

3. Carry out the reload previous file save to clone procedure attached. (I have explicitly written this, you may encounter other issues if so, let me know).
    ** Note to other members, this procedure is not a standard reload procedure **
    - This should 'clone' your storage robot with your production robot configuration, robot model, serial no. and no of axes (6) and zeroing.

4. Once this is complete you should have a 'cloned' robot with incorrect zero data for your robot, carry out the re-zero procedure attached.
    - Reboot afterwards, to update the ARMID board with the new zeroing data.
    - I have noticed your 1KP board X7 and X8 connections are not correct for allowing robot motion.
    - See attached External IO Manual - Page A-36 for standard default configuration for safety as shipped to allow for motion on X7 and X8.
    - Make sure Robot is stable from falling over before moving.

5. Once complete, you should have a functioning cloned system but have correct robot model information and zeroing as a 6 axes system.
    - If this is the case and all appears good, then make a file save.

6. Then we can look at adding the external axis after this.

Hope this helps and if you come across errors or get lost, let us know with the error information etc and we can address them if they appear...…….Good luck...…... :top:

• Hey bud, it's taken a while, but I finally got onto this robot this morning.

All went well, I kept the spare robot and controller together and went through the motions you supplied. The ARMID error came up initially, but after I reset it, it did not ask for it to be changed again. Re-zero of joints was ok as well, had to do Encoder Counter Rotation Reset for all Joints. I also sorted the connections on the 1KP board X7 and X8 as recommended. Ready to go to the next step of adding the external axis, I will PM you a backup of the robot as it now stands

Semaj :yesyesyes:

• Hey, I was wondering how you were getting on......looks ok so far.
    I take it you are now in a position where you can move the robot around freely, with no errors and all the zeroing is correct?
    Basically you have a 'cloned' robot of your production one now and I see you've adjusted the Model No. and Serial No. too.... :top:

One thing that would be beneficial to your 'toolbox' is a text editor/comparison application.
    I use something called winmerge (google this, it is free) and this allows you to compare 2 different files and it will highlight the differences.
    I recommend you download this.

Now, from your backup from your production robot compared with the new backup, there are quite a few differences I wasn't expecting to see (The majority are due to firmware differences which are not necessarily a problem).
    The main difference I see is regarding to CCLINK.
    Can you confirm that CCLINK is being used or not on your production robot?
    - It does not appear to be using the same hardware/configuration as your storage robot.
    - Can you provide any images of the internal card rack of your production robot (protecting IP etc).
    - I'm not too concerned, but it maybe the CCLINK may need reconfiguring in order to be used in the same way as your production robot.

If you can look at the above first and give some feedback, that would be great.

Summary of when you add an external axis:
    - Remove all user data (programs and location data).
    - Electrically have your external axis connected up (see external axis manual).
    - Increasing the no. of axis (this cannot be done if user data exists).
    - Uploading a file (which contains the servo parameters for your external axis motor).
    - Configuring the resolution of the encoder bits/distance travelled.
    - Simple tuning the motor to remove oscillations (this is best done when coupled with drive unit - ie the motor requires to be loaded).

So that is the summary, however what you are missing is:
    - Servo parameter file for your motor.
    - I have extracted this from your 'original storage' file save and will send it you, so you can upload it during the process.
    - Alternatively, you can contact your local Kawasaki distributor (an email, it should be free) for the 'actual file' instead.

So rather than post the procedure here, I'll send the procedure and the extracted motor parameter file to use in order to:
    - Add the additional axis.
    - Upload the information.
    - Some initial resolution parameters (looking at the image of your motor with the attached pulley) to allow JT7 to be moved/jogged between axis limits (not accurately).

Once you're at this stage you should then have:
    - 7 axis robot.
    - All joints can be freely moved.
    - JT7 will then require resolution reconfiguring for your application (limits, speeds and bits/distance) and possible simple re-tune again.
    - Ready for programming/usage.
    - With no user data in.

So keep your eyes on your inbox...….. :top:

Advertising from our partners