Teach Pendant Black/White vs. Color - Fanuc R30iA

• Good morning all,

I have a Fanuc teach pendant A05B-2518-C202#EMH that works on a R30iA controller. For some reason, only on this controller, everything runs on black and white only; I cannot even split the screen into 2 or 3 sections. But on any other controller, I have full color and I am able to split the screen into 2 or 3 sections. What do I need to change or buy to get the color back onto this controller? My setups claim that this controller at one point had color, but something happened and all color went away.

Thanks,

• You probably need to update the iPendant firmware. The firmware is located on the core software card that originally shipped with the robot when it was new. The documentation (controller maintenance manual, I believe) covers the procedure very nicely. Changing teach pendants is typically the cause of the issue you are experiencing.

• Yes, I believe that's when the error occurred, someone changed it out one shift and the black and white screen popped up.

I don't have the manual on me, but is this the correct instructions? I saw this post from RacerMike in another thread:

"Cycle the power off and then on again.
    Hold down the previous and next simultaneously while it boots to enter a CONFIG Start.
    When the config start menu is loaded select Maintenance.
    Then select Update IPendant firmware."

Is that basically what the manual says in the handling tool documentation?

Thanks,

• Controlled start>Maintenance>Upgrade iPendant software>Update whole firmware>Select source device.

The manual warns that the update might take a long time. In my experience, it has never taken longer than 15-20 min.

• So do I need to first download the latest software onto a flash drive and use that as the source device? Where can I find this at?

Or do I click update whole firmware and it auto-updates somehow? We don't have our controller hooked up to an Internet connection.

• You need the original core software card that shipped with the robot when it was new. This will be either a PCMCIA card or a USB memory stick. Do you have it? If you don't have the core software, you might be able to reconnect the old pendant (if you still have it) and backup the firmware. If you already have a firmware backup, you can then use that to update the new pendant's firmware. Firmware backups, to the best of my knowledge, are separate from an 'all of the above' backup and there is a specific procedure to backup the pendant firmware. Fanuc would be happy to reburn the core software for a fee if you don't have the original core card.

• Thank you guys for posting this. At work we just bought 5 R-2000iB/210F originally from a GM factory in Canada. All had the old RJ teach pendant, black and white, couldn't split screen. Luckily I have V7.70 Core for this exact robot. (Please don't ask). I upgraded the OS version to 7.70 on this one robot, bought a newer TP so I could split the screen (color is just a bonus). I did as mentioned above, Controlled Start, Maintenance, Upgrade iPendant software, selected UD1. Took about 25 minutes to finish.

Now the next project.

THANKS!

Advertising from our partners