Program indicator Lights

• i'm using rps with a PLC and HMI. I'm wanting to send an output while PG0 -PG1 and so on is running. Is there a way to do that? This is just simply for indicator lights on the hmi that are tied to the RPS buttons. Thanks

• You can use dedicated output signals for this.
    Easiest way to set is via the Function-Menu:
    6: Input/Output Signal
    2: Dedicated Output Signals
    Press Next Page until you see 'Program number'
    Enter the number of signals and the first signal number (LSB).

I just tried in the simulation, the output shows the selected program. But if there is no program running, the outputs are not being reset.

• Hello,

You can create a background program in order to check which program is running or not. Here is an example:

.PROGRAM pcscan() #0
    loop:
    IF WHICHTASK("pg1")<>1 THEN
    SIGNAL -2040
    ELSE
    SIGNAL 2040
    END
    TWAIT 0.1
    GOTO loop
    .END

• We are using block programming currently. We are just setting this up for future projects. We ended up making it work with the dedicated output signals. We found out that the lights are just like the rps signals. So you designate what the start signal is and how many after that and they act just like the rps.

• BLOCK uses the parameters of J and E to jump to subroutines.
    - Using either JUMP_ST and RPS_ST to request to the PLC for program selection.
    - When PLC sends program selection, you also need to send either JUMP_ON or RPS_ON from PLC to Robot dedicated signal then robot will jump to subroutine, without it, robot will just 'wait'.
    - When in Subroutine, PLC needs to then cancel JUMP_ON (or use switch relay for JUMP_OFF) or RPS_ON signal and then subroutine will complete and return to next step after the J that initiated it.

Check out the External IO Manual Appendix 2.1 for the diagram and signal timing.

There are 'many variations' of RPS that can be used.

• Yes we are using the RPS_ON and RPS_ST in the PLC. We have it set up right now to set programs in que while it is running. We have some other brands that we use and they have all this set up already. On the Kawasaki we have made this with a ton of ladder logic. I have been trying to think of the easiest way for our customers to program and operate the robot. We are going to use Block Teaching just for it's simplicity and we are setting up the RPS on the HMI for 9 Programs and anything else they can just run one at a time. The RPS was a good decision because they can just name the program PG1 and so on and it's already set up in the PLC to run. We also made it where the PG start buttons on the HMI are definable so the button says PG1 and above the button there is a text box to put what part or fixture number it is. We will use an HMI on everything we sell so the initial setup has been tough but with help form ppl like you it hasn't been near as hard!!

• IMHO I don't think the Kawasaki is the easiest, but functionally does what is says in the manual.
    You can play around with many variations of RPS using BLOCK, but what I don't particularly like is just by 'reading the code', you do not know specifically 'where' the target call is going, so by using the signals feedback like Kawaguy mentioned, allows you to see what is currently been selected.

The other alternative is AS and using the BITS command, but again, would this be easy for your customers over BLOCK....... ???

Thank you for your words though, I know myself and others appreciate the feedback....... :top:

Have you seen this thread for a couple of AS examples without using RPS: Program Que

Advertising from our partners