Kuka X41 Cable

• Hi,

We have a KR10 R1100 fivve. We built a cable several years ago to connect to the X41 connector (Digital IO) to a custom gripper. We use the IO to read several sensors. As I remember building the cable was difficult, and I need to replace it. Any information on who have this particular cable pre-build, if I can buy one end with the mating connector and the other end with flying leads will be perfect. If no pre-made cables are available, I will appreciate if and anybody have the information on where I can the connector and pins. I look through the documentation and only can find the internal cable that end on the X41 connector, which I don't need yet.

Regards,
    Raul

• Is this an Agilus robot? Are you referring to the X41 connector on the arm, between Axis 3 and Axis 4? And you are not referring to the XPN41 connector? They are two very different things, despite being colocated and having similar names.

Assuming this is X41 on an Agilus, the connector should be wired directly to the I/O in the KRC4 Compact, so you only need to build the cable from the X41 socket to your gripper and sensors. Going by the attached diagram, the X41 connector exposes 2 outputs, 6 inputs, and power (+24VDC and 0VDC) for providing power to valves and sensors.

The close-up photo details the socket connectors, although the $IN and $OUT numbers will be incorrect -- those depend on the mapping you set up in WorkVisual.

• Thanks for the response SkyeFire.
    Yes I am using the X41 connector shown on your picture, we are using two outputs and three inputs.
    We built the cable with a kit (pins and connector) provided by Kuka when we purchase the robot.
    I need to replace the cable, and I rather buy a cable already made, if available, than deal with all the small pins again.
    I am looking for part numbers and companies that may have either the cable or pins and connector.

Thanks again,
    Raul

• Thank you, that is the connector than I am looking for. About 4 years ago one of my co-workers put this cable together and it was a nightmare, to the point that we have never unplug it with fear that I will fall apart. We found some information that the cable "Kuka Robotics 00-124-808, X41 & X21.1 Connectors And Cable 7M" may work, not cheap, but if it works will buy it.

Again thanks for your help,
    Raul

• i don't know... i assembled that connector a while ago and i don't remember having any trouble.
    i just made sure to find cable of proper diameter and number of conductors that fit contact size.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• [size=2]yup... and everything is on one page (page 8)[/size]

[size=2]1. slide strain relief onto cable[/size]
    [size=2]2. strip cable to specified length[/size]
    [size=2]3. if shielded (not needed for X41) spread out strands[/size]
    [size=2]4. strip wires to specified length[/size]
    [size=2]5. crimp contacts using specified tool (in a pinch i was using needle-nose pliers too but this is not for fainthearted - one must be REALLY careful about contact deformation)[/size]
    [size=2]6. slide shield ring all the way[/size]
    [size=2]7. then press shield strands between shield ring and plastic part of the train relief[/size]
    [size=2]8. cut away excess strands[/size]
    [size=2]9. arrange contacts into holder (make sure they snap in). if arrangement is tough, i may just pick wire order as per cable to minimize crossing.[/size]
    [size=2]10. check all contacts position[/size]
    [size=2]11. put insert over contacts so contacts are sandwiched between holder and insert [/size]
    [size=2]12. put "corset" on. it works both as mechanical support and insulation so any loose wire does not touch housing[/size]
    [size=2]13. insert assembly into connector housing (watch coding!!!)[/size]
    [size=2]14. tighten strain relief per instructions (torque)[/size]

[size=2]inspect visually and if ok use multimeter to check all connections. if something is wrong, disassemble and rectify. no big deal... If cable is not shielded (which is normal for X41), several of above steps go away.[/size]

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• SkyeFire/panic mode,
    Thanks for the detail information. We are looking at the options, we should be able to order parts next week.

"i don't know... i assembled that connector a while ago and i don't remember having any trouble.
    i just made sure to find cable of proper diameter and number of conductors that fit contact size."

You will be surprised what age do to your eyesight and motor skills :smiling_face:

Regards,
    Raul

Advertising from our partners