Vision-guided KUKA robot with an Inspector PIM60

• :help:
    Hi ! :hi-bye:
    I am trying to connect an Inspector PIM60 to a KUKA Robot KR6-R900 sixx to create a simple pick-and-place operation on top of a table.
    My goal is to allow the KUKA robot to recognize different mechanical parts via the Inspector PIM60, then create different programs to play with the pick-and-place operations.
    But i don't know how to establish the connection between the Inspector PIM60, the robot's smartPad and my computer.

I know how to connect, calibrate and use the inspector PIM60 to recognize and measure reference objects and i know how to manually program the KUKA Robot. But i don't know how to put this two together. :wallbash:

Edit : Sorry i've tried reading up on the subject to better explain my problem. Here goes :

The KUKA controller i am using is a KRC4. The vision sensor i'm using is an Inspector PIM60.

What i've done so far is :

Inspector PIM60 : SOPAS software

• Configured the inspector’s IP address

PIM60
    IP address : 13.13.0.9
    Subnet : 255.255.255.0
    Gateway : 13.13.0.1

My PC
    IP address : 13.13.0.5

KUKA KRC4
    IP address : 13.13.0.20

• Calibrated the Inspector PIM60
    • Established 2 reference objects : a rectangle and a square
    • Configured the coordinates in radians and in mm (x,y,rot)
    • Plugged the Inspector PIM60 into the KRC4’s X66 ethernet port

So, normally, there shouldn't be any communication problem between the 3 interfaces (robot, PIM60, computer) and the vision sensor should be set to transfer the coordinates of the parts it visualizes to the program configured on the robot.

SmartPad KUKA Robot
    • Made a new .src file that contains all the subprograms that help initialize and connect to the PIM60

When i try to run this program (the one in the attached pdf), an error message shows that says « Ethernet connection to external system failed » and the program stops at line 35 (eki_s=EKI_Open...), so i suppose there’s a problem with the communication between the camera and the kuka.

I still haven't established a trigger and i still haven't configured the PIM60 to share the same frame as the robot. Because i don't know how. :icon_frown:

I’ve searched on the internet and on the manuals and i don’t know how to fix this. Could someone tell me what i’m doing wrong ?

• First off, what type of controller are you using? i am guessing a KRC4, but it is good to know for sure.
    Second is to determine what kind of interfaces you have on both devices. Kuka controllers normally have no standard I/O installed but again it is nice to know for sure.
    Your camera has the option of some standard in and outputs and an Ethernet connection. Again guessing that you have a KRC4 you want to use the ethernet connection to control the camera (take a picture and send values back to the controller)?

Every problem has a solution, that isn't the problem. The problem is the solution.

• read pinned topic READ FIRST

you may put them together with some duct tape or zip-ties or Gorilla glue....

if you want them to communicate, you need to specify everything. what communication option? Sign language, Morse code, ProfiBus, EtherentIP, TCPIP...?

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• according to manual
    https://www.sick.com/media/pdf/6/36/836/IM0048836.PDF

PiM60 supports EthernetIP and raw TCP/IP.

For EtherentIP option, your robot controller needs tech package KUKA.EtherentIP
    For raw TCP/IP, your robot controller needs tech package KUKA.EthernetKRL

Either of them can work, but EthernetIP is usually much simpler to setup.

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• [size=2]don't get your hopes high. there are some major gaps in your attempt in presenting the problem. [/size]

[size=2]here are few examples and i will mark them with +/-:[/size]

[size=2]+ Robot controller is KRC4 (some sort of KRC4, but in this case should be good enough)[/size]

[size=2]+ you mentioned IP addresses [/size]

[size=2]- you STILL did not provide your controller KSS version, list of options and their version. this will determine what communication options YOUR robot controller supports.[/size]

[size=2]- this is a robot forum. people that hang in here may be able to answer robot questions but anything involving OTHER products requires MORE input (details, links, references). from what i gather, PIM60 is a line of products that can have different communication options. it is unclear what communication options YOUR version of PIM60 supports.[/size]

[size=2]- communication role of EACH node is not specified (master/slave, client/server)[/size]

[size=2]- type of communication option is not mentioned. After edit, looks like you are TRYING to use "Ethernet raw". This would need EtherentKRL on your robot controller. (still missing YOUR EthernetKRL version...)[/size]

[size=2]- your program sample shows no EthernetKRL related code (init, open and close channel, CONFIG settings).[/size]

[size=2]- your description refers to "fault in line 35" of your program but line 35 of your program is empty[/size]

[size=2]- you are NOT explaining telegram structure (message format or what data EXACTLY is to be exchanged). this will dictate structure of EtherentKRL configuration file (which you have not even mentioned yet). this should be referred to PIM60 manual (link needed) and page reference. for example refer to chapter 16.1 of "https://cdn.sick.com/media/docs/6/36/836/Operating_instructions_Inspector_PIM60_ver_2.0_en_IM0048836.PDF". it mentions that telegram structure is editable. it also says that SPECIFIC PORT to be used. did you read this or similar document?[/size]

[size=2]Btw. Kuka has own vision options so they may or may not have an example of communicating with PIM60. But Sick is a European company and KUKA is a dominant robot brand on European market so if there is a robot brand they would definitely need to support, it would be KUKA. Hence I am pretty sure if you ask Sick for an application note or similar, they will have an example. did you consider this route?[/size]

[size=2]read pinned topic READ FIRST. think. ask wisely.a[/size]

3) read 1 and 2

Advertising from our partners