Fanuc Robot with Schneider PLC

• Hello,

I need to establish a communication between a Schneider M340 PLC and a Fanuc robot with Ethernet/IP.
    I think that the configuration of my scanner (PLC) in unity Pro is right but I still have several questions.
    Fanuc provided me with an EDS file when I import it into Unity Pro I see that I have access to 4 input words and 4 output words from the robot, but how do I know what information is in these words?

In addition I have no knowledge in Fanuc robot so I do not know at all how to configure the robot as adapt so that the PLC can read and write.
    :help:

• A word just means 16 bits of data. So 4 input words = 64 bits. The bits can be allocated to anything you want, such as UI/O DI/O, GI/O, you can read about them in the manual. For Ethernet IP you need to go to the Ethernet I/O menu, input the number of words and turn on the connection. Then you can go to the individual I/O menu's and configure which ones you want using Rack 89 for EthernetIP, Slot is usually 1 unless you have multiple connections, and start point is the bit number from 1-64.

Please take a look at the Robot Manual on configuring IO.

• Ok thank you very much, so if I understood correctly it's up to me to define the information I want to send on these bits?
    And this is done directly from the robot?
    I read the manual but I can not find an example how to put "robot speed" for example on one of these words.

• My project is only to communicate these two entities. So what I would like to do to start is for example read a robot's bool from the PLC, change that value on the robot and see the modification on the PLC. And conversely

• So to get started on your Bool (or bit as I will call it), you would use the robots Digital I/O. Go to menu>IO>Digital. Then you can select IN or OUT. Out would be the robot turning on/off the bit and PLC reading it. IN would be PLC turning on/off the bit and the robot reading it. On the Digital I/O menu you can press 'config' and then will see the rack, slot, start. That is how you tie it in. For example, Assign DO[1] to Rack 89, Slot 1, Start 1. Then if everything is set up correctly you should be able to toggle that DO and see the first bit of the first word change in the PLC (true/false or 1/0). Of course make sure that you chose a DO that is not already being used by something else.

Do you actually need to output the robot speed or was that a hypothetical? It can be done but will require accessing system variables and making a small BG Logic program on the robot.

• Thank you very much for all your answers it is very nice.
    In fact I am in internship and for the moment step 1 of my project and just to test the communication using a bool but later I will have to transmit more information like "robot speed" etc ... But this is not for now, I will already test all your advice and I will see afterwards for the future.
    I want to thank you and I will come back to you if I ever need more advice :icon_rolleyes: :merci: :merci:

• Useful topic and answer you share here thanks for providing updated knowledge thanks. Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) are central computers that control where and when industrial robots perform their duties. ... These robots all do their jobs at the direction and timing of the PLC to work towards a common goal, product, or completed process.Under the IEC 61131-3 standard, PLCs can be programmed using standards-based programming languages. The most commonly used programming language is Ladder diagram (LD) also known as Ladder logic. It uses Contact-Coil logic to make programs like an electrical control diagram.

Power supply.

Input module.

Output module.

Processor (CPU)

Rack or mounting assembly.

Programming unit (software)

I have little knowledge which I share here i learn PLC in CETPA .

Advertising from our partners