Difference between KSS and sunrise OS

• If your robot has Sunrise controller, it will need Sunrise OS.
    If your robot is not iiwa, controller will need KSS.

Both SunriseOS and KSS serve same kind of a role but for different products. They have different programming language, safety, etc. They are just different and not interchangeable.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• I am considering a shared robot cell that has both an LBR (using Sunrise) and two other Kuka robots using the more traditional KSS OS. What is the best way to manage these two systems in tandem? Is this done? Is this too unwieldy, Maybe I should just get LBR robots instead. I was hoping not to have to buy all LBR robots due to the added cost per unit.

• the fact that there are system integrators suggests that is is possible to integrate different products into one system. i have seen plenty of cells where different brands/types or robots are parts of the same cell. there are also cases where one robot is mounted on another robot. so possibilities are limitless.

challenge when dealing with different type of products is learning curve. knowledge about KSS helps very little when dealing with SunriseOS and the other way around. and to make safe and efficient system one must know a lot.

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• so what are you trying to do? selection will depend on application needs. normally collaborative robot is chosen if there is need to interact with humans. but that does not need to be the case. maybe one just need to assemble delicate parts where use of conventional robots would be impractical.

not sure what you mean by managing.... each robot would have own project. they would communicate with each other through fieldbus. since part of the same cell, all of them would be tied into common safety system.

3) read 1 and 2

• one example

This is great!! Do you know anything about the software setup for this?

Our ambition is that the three robots would work together to on a task. Possibly two holding a material and the third robot would operate on the material.

After doing a little digging I found the new iiQKA OS which is supposed be able to operate both robots. Does anyone know anything about this promised feature?

• those were done couple of years ago so must be using KSS and SunriseOS. did not use iiQKA so cannot comment there. is this even available? i thought it is still in the works. apparently no documentation is available on Xpert.

3) read 1 and 2

• After doing a little digging I found the new iiQKA OS which is supposed be able to operate both robots. Does anyone know anything about this promised feature?

If your project will be realized in about 6-8 years, you can wait for it. At the moment there exist only many fancy words and pictures, nothing specific about iiQKA.

The three robots in one cell are no problem as panic mode already stated. The only 'problem' is that you have two different systems to handle with, and the sunrise OS is very different to the KSS. But that's the normal business.

Advertising from our partners