ABB Specific I/Os

• Greetings!

Hope you are all well, I need an information about ABB Specific I/Os.
    First of all I'm brand new on that forum and I couldn't have much time for check that if there is same topic as I opened.
    I will make a project with ABB robot and I'm using Siemens S7-1200 PLC. I'll program the PLC only btw.
    So, long story to short. What are these specific I/Os for ABB Robot.
    Examples: Auto start via PLC, external auto start conditions etc.
    Can anyone help me about that?

Waiting for your replies!
    Thank you all!
    Have a nice day! :bravo:

Automation Engineer

• h

Is this a welding application or Material Handling? What controller?.. System inputs and outputs are pretty simple to set up.

It's a material handling application, Robot will take out the from the IMM (Injection Molding Machine) and It will place the parts to the moving conveyor with conveyor tracking. There will be a robot programming company to help us but I want to write the PLC program as soon as possible. I want to make a draft for that application after that I will organize my program in the application area. So my thinkings about ABB working process is, when there is fault technicians should bring the robot to the home position from hmi and after fixing the fault they should resume it from hmi again also. When they want to change the mould they should end the cycle from HMI and after they change the mould they should start it from HMI etc. Hope I explained it well.

So, I can imagine what kind of PLC program I should write but for ABB side I don't know the special I/O's for ABB and conditions to do these stuffs. That's why I wanted to ask these.
    So, If there is anyone did kind of this project. I just need a clue or sample project.

Thank you all for your good attention!
    Have a nice day!
    :angel:

Automation Engineer

• Except for the basic system I/O (in the manual I linked to earlier) where you'd control things like motors on, start, stop, start from main etc.
    All other I/O signals would be manually configured / assigned and as such you can name them and use them any way you see fit.

The tricky part will be the home positioning from within the mold itself, a bit depending on the size of the press and the robot.

I might be pointing out the obvious here, but I would also strongly recommend a "physical" method of sending mold area free, i.e. light curtain at a bare minimum, EPS/SafeMove as a better alternative.

• Except for the basic system I/O (in the manual I linked to earlier) where you'd control things like motors on, start, stop, start from main etc.
    All other I/O signals would be manually configured / assigned and as such you can name them and use them any way you see fit.

The tricky part will be the home positioning from within the mold itself, a bit depending on the size of the press and the robot.

I might be pointing out the obvious here, but I would also strongly recommend a "physical" method of sending mold area free, i.e. light curtain at a bare minimum, EPS/SafeMove as a better alternative.

Thank you for your help and explanation.
    I was thinking, in the fault situation robot will engine the program reversible. Like backward.
    Cause in here we also use Staubli robot and when there fault for example vacuum lost I'm pushing the home button which button on the tech pendant after that robot turn off the output for vacuum and goes back to home position.
    :hmmm:

Automation Engineer

• Cause in here we also use Staubli robot and when there fault for example vacuum lost I'm pushing the home button which button on the tech pendant after that robot turn off the output for vacuum and goes back to home position.
    :hmmm:

It's possible, that's not the issue, but someone have to create the code/program to do capture the error and handle it, that doesn't exist out of the box (at least it didn't in the past) unless you have bought one of the add on's / options for plastic/machine tending,
    and handling backwards motion is always a pain in the butt given all the possible scenarios.
    Then again, most programmers have their own toolbox of code/software, so hopefully your guys don't have to start from scratch.

• We'll see. Now I'm trying to understand these signals from PDF that you shared. But I think I don't need to use all of them for engine the robot with PLC...

Thank you again.

Automation Engineer

Advertising from our partners