Tack welding

• How can I tack weld with IRC5 (MIG/MAG, GMAW)?

There are ArcL and ArcC commands.

It starts with ArLStart and must end with ArcCEnd or ArcLEnd...
    Each command need to move the torch.
    If the start point is too close to the end point, I'll get an error message.

Are there any Arc commands without any torch movement?
    I would not like to move the torch during welding...

Every welding power source have an spot welding function where I can set the welding time and the power, so it should work from the point of view of power source.

Can I do it, or I must make a minimal movement with the torch?

• Which power source do you have ?

The simplest way would be to write your own ArcTack instruction to pulse the ArcOn output (or send the equivalent bits depending on protocol) while supervising the arc established signal.

Why don't you want to move it a little bit ? Generally speaking it's usually better to get a bit of heat into the tack to avoid lack of fusion, especially if you're welding over / into it later in the process.

• If you can't move it even a little bit like SAABoholic suggested, will moving to the same point work?
    ArcL\On, p10, …
    ArcL\Off, p10, …

Adjust the seam & weld data to get the weld you need.
    If needed, you could also try replacing speed (velocity) in the ArcL\Off with time (\T).

• Fronius TPS5000

First I will try it with a minimal movement (few milimeters), this is the fastest way :smiling_face:

Generally I use the jobs of the power source. The job number is in declared the welddata.
    The weld data also contains the travel speed.

I don't know Arcon command, only ArcLStart and ArcLEnd.

As I know the arc stability is supervised by the robot automatically.
    If the ignition was nut successful, the robot stops with the "Robotware Arc Recovery" window.

• I have never tried to move it to the same point.
    It's a good idea. I'll try it.

I had some problems with ArcC commands, when two points (cirpoint and endpoint) were too close to each other, I had got an error message.

• I don't know Arcon command, only ArcLStart and ArcLEnd.

It's the same thing and a classic example of "if it works - don't fix it"
    On older systems the arc instruction was simply ArcL and then you added a switch/flag for \On (i.e. Start) or \Off (i.e. End) but someone apparently thought it was better to have separate instructions. :hmmm: :icon_rolleyes: This was roughly the same timeframe where they took away the \Time argument and made other changes to "simplify" things. (which I'm sure if you weld exhausts all day long, but I "grew up" with heavy welding and for us it was a royal pain in the butt.

ArcC will definitely require a bit of distance between the points (not much but still) and many times you're better off just using a few more ArcL's than trying to get a ArC to behave the way you want it to.

• I was socialized on IRC5, so these commands are obvious for me :smiling_face:

On the other hand, once I tried RoboDK offline software, and it was translate the programs with these Arcon and Arcoff commands also for IRC5 system. It was surprising...

I have checked the optional arguments of ArcL and didn't find \ON and \OFF function...
    If I remember well, the \Time function is still exist.

• What you can try.

Get the Schedule signal (on our system it was labeled goSchedule_1) and Weld Signal (our system is doWeld) from your powersource and use that signals when in position with SetDo instruction.

For instance

Move to Approach Point;
    Move to Tack Point;
    SetGo goSchedule_1,11;
    Setdo doWeld,1;
    WaitTime 0.5;
    Setdo doWeld,0;
    SetGo goSchedule_1,0;
    Move to Depart point;

Obviously you will have to set your welding parameters for the welding required and store it in your schedule. That will then be your variable that is activate by the SetGo instruction.

• I would just use the crater fill in the seam data. You can set the voltage, current and time. Use the same point for Arcstart and ArcEnd,
    I've at times put a piece into the robot that had missing tacks. Instead of pulling the part out (they're large and I don't have a welder that reaches into the robot area), I just created a small program with one weld and a seam data with a 2 sec crater fill. I just matched the crater fill setting to my weld settings. Faster then pulling it out.

Edited once, last by jarm ().

Advertising from our partners