Fanuc robot multitasking

• Hi
    how do do multitasking on fanuc rj-3 controller. I have hooked up a 7th axis which i want to run continuous while the robot is doing other stuffs? I have multiple program option installed.
    Can anyone help please.

• When you create a program you define which motion groups are used.
    If you have multitasking option you can create separate programs for each group and run them independently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks for your reply. Is motion group an option that we have to install? I created a program and tried to define that under group mask as group 2 which i believe would look like 1,1,*,*,*,* this, which i cannot do. the cursor does not even move on the second * so that i can change it to 1. Am i missing something?
    thank you

• Hi, sorry, yes I mean the group mask
    That defines which groups are moved in the program, but once created it can not be modified.
    You can run simultaneously one or more programs if you have multitasking
    option as long as they move separate groups
    If you try to run a program that uses a motion group that is already being used by another task it will cause an error/alarm

• What is the 7th axis for?

For multitasking it needs to be set up as a separate motion group. I'm not as familiar with rj3 but on the newer robots this is done in a controlled start under the maintenance menu.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• 7th axis will be used for continuous rotation on of our projects. Slowly setting up. I can go to the controlled start but cannot see much option on how to set another motion group. i will have another good look. Hawkme, how do you set it on your controller, just a rough idea so i can look for the similar menus.
    Thanks

• So do you need positional control or just speed control. Did you work with Fanuc to get the proper software options to do this? For continous rotation I believe you either need to purchase the "Continous Turn" option or "Process Axis" option.

• Basically I need to run the 7th axis continuous for 30min while the robot is doing other handling jobs. The Continuous Turn option is already installed and i have already programmed that axis for continuous turn. Just cant figure out to set up another motion group so that i can achieve multitasking.
    Thanks

• You need to boot the robot into a controlled start. Then press maintenance and you should see group 1 as your robot. The auxiliary axis must be configured under group 2 axis 1. If it is Group 1 axis 7 then you will not be able to multitask. You must have the multi-group motion option installed J601.

• Thanks. Oh ok at the moment it is configured as Group 1 axis 7. I will need to check if the option is installed. If the multi group motion option is installed, I should be able to see the options for Group 2 right and I should be able to configure that under Group 2?

• I have checked under option, Multi-Group Motion is installed. I cannot see any option for Group 2 under Maintenance though. Am i missing anything here?? I have attached few pictures please have a look.
    Thanks

• Make sure you take an image back up before changing these settings.

If you highlight extended axis control, then press Manual you should be able to select group one and display the parameters then delete the extended axis from group 1. First make sure you know all of the parameters and have them written down. Then you will need to see if you can re-assign it as group 2.

Edited once, last by HawkME ().

• Guau! Your robot is loaded with many cool options You have multitasking and multi motion groups, but the 7 axis was configured as an extended axis
    So basically it belongs to group 1
    If I remember correctly you need to configure it as an auxiliary axis instead
    to create it’s own group

• Yes thanks. According to Hawkme, I have deleted the extended axis under group 1. Now I am trying to re-configure it under group 2 but i cannot see any option for Group 2 under ''SELECT GROUP''??. Please see the attached pictures.
    Thanks

• I will need to ask my manager about the software. Can you just give a brief explanation on how to add group 2 on the controlled start please. If I could find the software , I can try and add it.
    Thanks

• I don't think it will let you proceed without having the memory card with the load software. You will need to work with Fanuc and it will probably not be free.

Another option is to use a non-Fanuc servo motor and have the robot turn on a digital output when you need the motor to run. You haven't said what the application is for so I can't say what your best option is.

Advertising from our partners