IRC5 controller How to clone the information ?

• I have a scara robot running in production.

I'm getting a new one. Same model, same options, etc, etc.

What will be the way to load the new robot with the info from the old one. ?

Obviously, things like IP address is going to change, the logic will be the same, the io names will be the same
    My problem is for example with the internal info, like pulses, etc
    I looking for a detail list to do such as. 1) Copy the program 2) copy the EIO.cfg 3).....
    I'm afraid to copy the module because I think every robot will have some difference

I could open two instances of robotstudio and start transferring and/or typing info but I looking for a more logic way

Retired but still helping

Edited once, last by Fabian Munoz ().

• Best way is to liad only the system and program modules + eio.cfg. Never restore a backup from another controller directly or the system will crash.
    If you dont have any external axis, weld equipement, etc... it should be OK.

You will need to measure the workobjects again with your new robot in order to adjust the path. On the other hand expect some little variations on the path... if you have not purchased the absolute accuracy option you will notice a little diferent path.

Do a backup before you load the modules and the config files, if you load an incorrect .sys module or an invalid eio.cfg file your robot will start on system error.

• Thanks Shellmer

No I dont have any external axis. It's just a pick and place. For sure I'm going to touch up workobjects and points but they should be pretty close

To clarify for the future

Load PROGMOD , SYSMOD and from SYSPAR, only EIO,CFG I you will obtain a clone robot

Retired but still helping

• Usually its not a problem to use a different robotware if it's from the same major version (rw5 to rw5 / rw6 to rw6). Rapid code is pretty similar with little or no changes... Code from a s4c could be executed with minor fixes and rw5 code should be compatible with rw6 (it has deprecated functions)

The problem usually resides on the eio or the equipment/external axis config files. You cannot liad this files because there are changes on the file syntax and content.
    Take care with the system modules (.sys), as far as I remember you shouldn't overwrite original robot files like the user.sys or the controller will start on system failure when restarted.

• Take care with the system modules (.sys), as far as I remember you shouldn't overwrite original robot files like the user.sys or the controller will start on system failure when restarted.

I agree with pretty much everything but this last one. Out of the box, user.sys doesn't really have any data of consequence. It is intended for user data like tooldata, workobject data and such. To replace it should not cause any problems unless you fail to include data that it did already contain. Sysfail not very likely. in any event, just reference errors.

• You are right, that sysmodule doesn't contain any specific data, but as far as I remember I had problems when overwriting some default sys modules. I do not remember what module caused the issue... but I think it happened on robots with spotware or arcware...

The best approach is to do a backup and then load the eio, restart, load modules, restart... so if you mess something you will see what causes the sys fail.

I recommend also to update the tool with a new payload measure on the new robot.

Advertising from our partners