About to receive my first KUKA robot... setup preparations.

• Hi,

I am about to receive my first KUKA robot, a Agilus series KR10 R1100 with the KR C4 Compact controller.

As a preparation I have read through the book "Robot Programming 1: KUKA System Software 8"
    https://amzn.to/2ZOHD4N

I have installed "Work Visual" and read through its entire help section.

There are still setup procedures I need to do but are poorly documented. I cannot find information about it from the book or the WorkVisual help or by google. So I need help from guys with experience.
    What do I need to do when I take the robot out of the box it arrives in?

• Importing device description files into WorkVisual. Where do I get the files for the KUKA robot?

• Do I absolutely need to perform the Mastering? I do not own the Electronic Mastering Device or a microEMD device

• I am unsure what is the difference between just calling out a KUKA program with a PLC versus doing everything inside the PLC.
        What is the recommended way to go for a total beginner

Thank you.

• Not entirely sure why you bought a manual that you can download for free from KUKA.Xpert...

What do I need to do when I take the robot out of the box it arrives in?

Bolt it down and ensure that all the cables are connected properly. Follow the installation guide, which you will also receive.

Do I absolutely need to perform the Mastering? I do not own the Electronic Mastering Device or a microEMD device

No. The robot will come mastered from the factory, and the Agilus bots have absolute axis encoders, so unless you do something stupid like crashing the robot hard or manually wiping the factory mastering, they should be accurate and not require additional mastering.

Unless you're prepared to do an extreme amount of work writing a PLC interface program, your best option is to write all the code on the controller and have the PLC select and run programs.
    You can either do this with the PLC software options(which will cost you a lot of extra money, since you already bought the robot without them), or you could run the robot in Automatic External mode, in which the digital IO(some of which the robot will have by default) can be used to start/stop the robot and select programs.
    This is all described in the programming and system integrator manuals, and all of them are freely available.

Ideally, since you're going head-first into KUKA with a new robot rather than tinkering with restoring an older one, you should take an official KUKA training class, which will teach you all the basics of industrial automation and deploying the robots. It costs money, but it might be worth it.

• I bought the manual because I couldn't find programming related manuals from KUKA.Xpert. I still can't. The most similar is the KUKA System Software 8.6 manual.

• Good to hear that I don't need the mastering deivce

• I will create the program with the Kuka WorkVisual software and make the PLC select the programs

• What about the so called device description files. What are they and where do I get these? I understand I need these for the robot and for the controller to properly identify the components used? Am I correct.

EDIT: I received the robot and did everything in the controller assembly manual but the robot does not boot up.
    - Connect the connecting cables
    - Plug in the SmartPAD
    - Connect the equipotential between robot and controller.
    - Connect the controller to the power supply
    - Reverse battery discharge protection (Connect the loose battery cable inside the controller)
    - configure and connect safety interface X11 - I have not done that as it should not be required for setup mode.
    - Switch on the controller from the main switch.

But it does not boot up... I was expecting to start seeing something on the SmartPAD.
    The main switch on the controller turns green... I hear a relay inside the controller switching but nothing happens.

What am I missing?

EDIT2: OK it booted up on the second try. Just switched the controller OFF and back ON again...

EDIT 3:
    I was able go log in as Safety maintenance, activate the safety configuration and activate the start-up mode. I still cannot jog the robot.

Edited once, last by Koppel ().

• [size=small]On first power on, software installation is completed (just like when you buy new laptop). This may require one or more reboots.[/size]

[size=small]Device Description Files are usually small files (text or binary) that are created by manufacturer of device (guess where you need to go to get these files). [/size]

[size=2]Type, structure, format and extension for Device Description Files depends on supported fieldbus. Some common file extensions for these files are:[/size]

[size=small]ESI - EtherCat[/size]
    [size=2]EDS - DeviceNet, EthernetIP[/size]
    [size=2]GSD - ProfiBus (generic)[/size]
    [size=2]GSE - ProfiBus (like GSD but only in English language)[/size]
    [size=2]GSG - ProfiBus (like GSD but only in German language)[/size]
    [size=2]GSDML - ProfiNet[/size]
    [size=small]etc.[/size]

[size=2]The main function of Device Description File is to provide information about particular device:[/size]
    [size=2] > name, model, manufacturer of device[/size]
    [size=2] > file version[/size]
    [size=2] > supported capabilities (such as communication modes, communication speeds)[/size]
    [size=2] > supported interfaces (type, IO size, addressing options, etc.)[/size]
    [size=2] > etc.[/size]

[size=2]This allows various configuration software to integrate and use these devices as building blocks when creating larger, more complex systems. Before Device Description Files can be used by some software, they first need to be integrated into database that is part of that software [/size][size=small]("catalog" or "library" or DTM)[/size][size=small] [/size]

[size=2]WorkVisual is an example of such configuration software. It is meant to configure Kuka controllers (KRC4 and Sunrise).[/size]
    [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]When WorkVisual is installed, bunch of Device Description Files are installed as well. Those devices are grouped into not one but several catalogs (Robot models, Controller parts, Positioners, MGUs, program templates etc.). Another catalog (DTM) is also added to store Device Description Files for everything else (all non-Kuka products) in one place.[/size][/font]

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• How do I make the robot run a cycle endlessly?

I just want to create a mockup program with the "inline form" on the SmartPAD.
    I can hold the enable button and "play" button and run through the program line by line while holding the two buttons. In T1 mode and in T2 mode for full speed.

I just have points between the PTP HOME in the start of the program and PTP HOME at the end of the program.

I can turn the key on the SmartPAD and change to "AUT" mode. Turn the key back again and try to run my program... I get an error:
    "Operator Safety Open"
    - Path maintaining emergency stop.
    - Input of active commands (robot motions, program start) is blocked.

But I have an external X11 with the Emergency stop button and the "operator enable" button. What else do I need?

• The "Operator Safety" error message means exactly what it says. One of the contact pairs for Operator Safety on the X11 is open.

In T1 mode (and T2, depending on configuration), the robot ignores Operator Safety, but AUT and EXT require it. Losing the E-Stop X11 inputs kills the robot in any mode.

In this case, the "emergency stop" the message refers to is a behavior, not a signal. Op-Safe and E-Stop have the same effect on the robot, it's just that Op-Safe is mode-specific and E-Stop is not.

Op-Safe is intended to be connected to safety gates, area scanners, etc -- devices that keep the contacts closed until someone enters the hazard area. A "button" will not suffice, unless you have someone holding it down all the time.

• great, just what the world needed... training cell put together by someone not familiar with what they are doing. do you at least know what standards are applicable in your country?

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• smartPad will have messages indicating what is going on. The most recent message is on the top of the screen but this is usually not the only one. click on it to switch screen to messages view and find all messages that have red or yellow icon... specially the oldest one.

Startup mode does not work in all scenarios. It allow bypassing safety interface... if one is defined. If you have already attempted to enable safety interface over Ethernet but PLC is not yet configured, make sure to unplug cable going to PLC and make sure to have external enabling switch wired (or equivalent jumper connected to CCU).

On larger controllers, that jumper connector is X311 (00-177-608). On KRC4 compact that would be X403 (jumper plug 00-231-963).

3) read 1 and 2

Advertising from our partners