Advise requested for Set up robot cell

• Hello,

We want to begin with designing / programming robot cells. Do you have an advise how to set up a robot cell to be prepared for the future? Robot cell set up like 1) Robot master, safety circuits by robot controller (light curtains for example), programm choice by barcode reader, HMI interface to operator on the screen of Teach Pendant, Vision camera integrated in robot controller.

Or like 2) Robot slave, PLC master, safety circuit by PLC, Programm choice by barcode to PLC and the PLC to the Robot controller, HMI of PLC supplier and there on the connection to the operator, Vision camera integrated in robot controller

Robot cells will be used for assembly handling different products and glueing products.

Can anyone give an advise what is wise to do? Which advises can you give me? In the future we also want to have the possibility to monitor the robot cell, like error messages, OEE, real time monitoring, .....

Thank you already in advance.

• My preference is option 2. A machine may require many other devices and in my experience they integrate better with the PLC as a master. Modern PLCs are also much easier to structure data than using robot registers.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• I prefer option 1. I helped a major automotive player setup an entire low production plant that way and it was a way simpler launch. Keep in mind every cell was doing something pretty simple (weld this assembly, apply urethane to this glass, punch and put rivnuts here, etc).

Part selection was done by selecting a program via the HMI. The program was then error proofed by using part present switches on the tooling, or via barcode reads by the robot.

HMI interfaced to the controller via the SNPX protocal via the Basic HMI option. Same option was used, along with a Kepware OPC server to monitor robot uptime and cell status on the plant level.

If the cell is more complicated (lots of IO, requirement for advanced safety, additional active fixtures, really complicated gripper, etc) than the typical automotive cell, then a PLC would be the right way to go.

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

Advertising from our partners