[SOLVED] Upgrading a KRC3 from SP1 to SP2 and KSS5.2.15 to KSS5.6.10

• Solution edit:
    1. KUKA's statement that upgrading SP1 to SP2 is impossible is incorrect - I have completely upgraded SP1 to SP2 with no hiccups.
    2. KSS5.6.10 is incompatible with KRC3, regardless of which service pack you use. The latest version that seems to be working is 5.5.16 b78, anything later doesn't.
    3. Installing EthernetKRLXML via the Setup -> Install additional Software function of KSS5.5.16 solves the issue of the MFC2 being discovered as the only option.

So here's a question - can I upgrade a KRC3 controller(runs ed05 software on non-ed05 hardware and a custom MFC2/3-ish card, no KSDs) directly from KSS5.2.15 to KSS5.6.10, given that I have the full installation ISO(dumped into D:/)?
    Will I kill the controller by doing this?

It's running XP SP2, so it's technically compatible with both, but I'm unsure.

Side question:
    Is there a way to install EthernetKRLXML without killing the windows network driver? I see it mentioned as using KUKA Router, which I have installed, but it's still asking me to kill the driver.

• Ooo... I dunno. The KRC3 was, IIRC, a re-labelled Denso controller modified to use the KUKA KCP. I think it had it's own entire sub-branch of KSS.

You would need to ask KUKA directly, I think -- those oddball controllers tended to have narrower sets of KSS versions they could accept.

As always, my standard advice to IMAGE THE ENTIRE HARD DRIVE before doing ANYTHING applies. :justice:

• So turns out, I was running SP1.

After updating to SP2(which KUKA says is impossible), and installing KSS, I was presented with this issue:

I've checked the MADA - it's almost identical, with a few new things added in the later KSS, here's the diff:
    https://www.diffchecker.com/1ZV3cnjv
    Left is old(functional), right is new(kss5.6).

Any ideas why it might be angry at $PMCHANNEL[3] specifically?

I've tried downgrading the MADA, changing everything to match, but nothing works.

The message #259(machine data loader aborted) says "The number of errors detected by the machine data loader exceeds the capacity of the message buffer", which is weird, too.

• i am sure you can only install kss V5.?.?.? SR on to those controllers due to the denso bottom controller the version should say SR on it

It's not a Denso robot. It's a CRS F3 robot rebranded as KUKA when they bought it. The controller is a KRC3, not KRC2sr - with custom firmware on the MFC and DSE-IBS cards that talks directly to the servo drives via RS485/422.

The original install disk I have is KSS5.2.14 non-SR. This disk is KSS5.6.10, seems to also be non-SR, but I'm getting the weird $PMCHANNEL[3] error.

• I just want the few upgraded features KSS5.6 and XPe SP2 have, like the authentication config, proper shutdowns, spline motion, etc - not necessary, but nice to have.
    It's my only robot, and I've also tried installing KSS 5.6.5 LR, which was about as good of an idea as you might think - it just died at 10%, which means it wasn't even able to communicate with VxWorks([size=6pt]<sarcasm>I wonder why</sarcasm>[/size])

I only have 5.2.14, 5.2.15(both work, but on XP SP1), 5.6.5(incompatible, just a random ISO I found), and 5.6.10(which dies with $PMCHANNEL[3]), so maybe some other version would work? I've been told that 5.6.8 is the most stable, though I'm not sure how much of a difference that'll make.

• After a bunch of testing of various combinations and multiple broken Windows installs, here's the solution:
    1. KUKA's statement that upgrading SP1 to SP2 is impossible is incorrect - I have completely upgraded SP1 to SP2 with no hiccups.
    2. KSS5.6.10 is incompatible with KRC3, regardless of which service pack you use. The latest version that seems to be working is 5.5.16 b78, anything later doesn't.
    3. Installing EthernetKRLXML via the Setup -> Install additional Software function of KSS5.5.16 solves the issue of the MFC2 being discovered as the only option.

• I have upgraded kss 4.1.7(krc2 edition 2002 kr15-2) to kss 5.1.30 now i have a question :can is transfer my written programs from v 4.1.7 to kss 5.1.30 and if so ...how shoud i do?instruction please :smiling_face:

• I have upgraded kss 4.1.7(krc2 edition 2002 kr15-2) to kss 5.1.30 now i have a question :can is transfer my written programs from v 4.1.7 to kss 5.1.30 and if so ...how shoud i do?instruction please :smiling_face:

• Sure. Just copy them onto your new version using the Kuka Hmi and fix all errors. What these will be difficult to say since we do not know what your programs need and what they look like considering e.g. TechPackages, Inlineforms, ... . In general KRL does not change from release to release. Usually only features are added.

Fubini

• Thanks Fubini,my program include some teaching points so it seems i should first enter the base and tool numbers then i must copy program for example module,.. then paste am i right?

• Yes. Tools and bases should be copied inside $config.dat. Teached points means inline forms. There you might have problems doing touch ups using the new HMI version. Sometimes you can convert inline forms by opening the inline form and closing it again. But the underlying krl code most of the times is still valid. Each program usually consists of two files the src containing program logic and dat file containing program data like teached positions. Any IO setup as well?

Fubini

Advertising from our partners