[PROBLEM-KRC4] OfficeLite 8.3 & WorkVisual 5.0.7

• Hello all,

This forum is very useful so thank you to all moderators and contributors, may it continue! Now I don't tend to be in such a pickle that I need to post my own problem on a forum but right now I am! This is my first post on the forum so lets hope i've read the "READ BEFORE" thread...My problem:

• I am using WorkVisual 5.0.7 (I was using 4.x.x before updating to see if the problem fixed itself) and OfficeLite 5.0.7.

• My virtual controller version is KRC 8.3.4.

• My task is to create a copy of my real controller on the virtual one, using "deploy" on workvisual. I have ensured DTM catalogs are available to workvisual although I don't any KOP files.

• I have tried different configurations before deploying. An exact copy of the "real" controller, a merge between the real and virtual controllers and then I have tried to set up the virtual controller configuration manually in workvisual. None have given me a usable virtual controller.

• My main problem and worry is that when I am on the "programming and diagnosis" section of workvisual I cannot open up the file system due to an error from workvisual that the "controller is not supported - it must be 8.3.14 or later than 8.5"

I have attached the actual error message and the virtual controller info tab.

So if anyone can offer some advice on whether I lack configuration files/set-up in workvisual, whether i have to update officelite controller/KSS version or if I need new version of officelite altogether then I'd be very grateful. I only started working with robots 4 months ago and yet inherited a robot at a university that had not been commissioned and set-up right in 2 years... I've managed to set-up everything up, now I only need to complete the offline programming environment before an accurate position calibration and I'm done!

Thanks

My virtual controller version is KRC 8.3.4.
    error from workvisual that the "controller is not supported - it must be 8.3.14 or later than 8.5"

The messages is clear 8.3.4 isn't 8.3.14 and it is less than 8.5.

• I'm not back at the lab till Tuesday so I had to remote in, but the controller wasn't running so I took at a look a machine .dat files. The KRC 4 version is 100% 8.3.26. The KSS maybe I interpreted incorrectly from the system files. Any advice or more information required?

• you don't seem to differentiate between KRC4 and KSS. please read pinned topic READ FIRST, it shows how to identify versions.

looks like you are trying to deploy project from controller running KSS 8.3.26 to a controller running KSS8.3.4.

KSS 8.3.4 is quite old (one of earliest releases in KSS8.3 product line). i would consider upgrading it to a newer 8.3 release. Note this does not violate license since first two digits of version number are still same ("8.3").

Since you already have robot with 8.3.26, that could be a good candidate...

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Before posting I saw this thread:
    https://www.robot-forum.com/ro…date/msg116601/#msg116601
    This made me a little apprehensive about updating but after your advice I definitely agree it is the right way forward.

• The KSS System Integrator manual doesn't say where to get update files from.

• Threads on this forum suggest CD's but the lab has ALL the original CD's and I haven't been able to find one that says "KSS".

• We have a KUKA bootable USB for the real controller but I'm pretty sure (as I already tried) it can't be used to update the virtual controller.

I feel like I'm missing a trick here. Please what is the normal process? Ring KUKA or is the install file located somewhere in the real controller?

• Please help! I have installed the version of KRC that I needed - v8.3.26 - and it now works in workvisual.

The problem I have encountered is with "error initializing MdlCtlData.Drv.o". I did then try deploying the project from my real controller, that removed the previous error but gave two new errors, EthernetKRL and Profinet drivers missing, so I installed those. That then gave a single error only with "missing MAC address for KLI" as expected I guess.

I have tried the update process with tick boxes selected for "system files and application", with both tick boxes unselected and with only "system files" selected. I have not been fully successful.

KUKA has been called but I was told only one guy in the UK office knows what to do and they are busy till 2nd week of February...They didn't want to contact KUKQ HQ because they can be convoluted and slow and possibly difficult to work with. So can anyone here please help? I have attached log file from update process and KRCdiag.

• Please help! I have installed the version of KRC that I needed - v8.3.26 - and it now works in workvisual.

What do you mean by "installed"? This was supposed to be an upgrade, not a clean install. What procedure did you use? Did you ever read pinned topic READ FIRST or programming manual for system integrators?

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• SkyeFire thanks for the idea, but $IS_OFFICE_LITE=TRUE.
    Panicmode, I'm not sure I understand. I've read about 23 manuals, been through like 150 posts including the two things you say. None give specific instructions has to the update procedure for officelite so I followed the advice of one of the KUKA technical support staff. But as he said this is now beyond his knowledge and apparently there's only one guy in entire KUKA UK who's knows what to do...
    But there must be people on this forum who have done the procedure countless times?

• [size=1em]I have done it in OfficeLite...[well not countless times but ... i would say some 30 times. Never had an issue.

KSS upgrade is documented in system integrator manual. i am looking at version 7 of manual for KSS 8.3 from 2018 and it is in chapter 14.5. It goes over KSS upgrade bothfrom USB and from Network path.

basically:
    1. Get good copy of KSS installer (I always check MD5)
    2. place it on USB stick
    3. put OL in T1 mode and login as Expert
    4. Configure KSS installation PATH
    5. Run update (menu>Start-Up>Software update>Net), it will ask if you are sure to update to new version so just follow the prompts.

Of course ANY work with computers requires basic measures like backup, backup and backup.[/size]

[size=1em]BTW. you still did not specify what steps exactly you followed. "I read 20 manuals" means nothing to me. what manuals are those? What version? What page?[/size]

3) read 1 and 2

Edited once, last by panic mode ().

• I have read the chapter you are talking about as I have the exact same version and followed those steps, except 4 and 5 because the KUKA tech guy said to quit KRC and start from windows explorer. I have tried this but no luck. Do the log files say anything which may mean something with you? There was something which worried me, essentially it seems robot config files were missing. I tried to bring up $ROBOTRAFO and $TRAFONAME but the variables were empty!?!?

• I have once again arrived at the same point. Please see screenshots below.

[list type=decimal]

• So as before, my initial error is to do with drives, looking at the log there is a lack (and the wrong robot!) of configuration files in officelite's default state.

• I don't have enough knowledge to set it up in workvisual from scratch and when I try I am always left with errors or with no errors but the sim-pro robot doesn't move.

• I copied over the real controller project (which includes options ethernetKRL and Profinet because if I don't install them I get driver errors.)

• So after all of that I am left with an identical officelite to my real controller which works in workvisual. The one big issue is the robot doesn't move in sim-pro so I can't simulate my cell. The error is "lack of MAC address in KLI" (see attachment). I have tried to deactivate KLI but I have been unsuccessful, perhaps you can help with this?

[/list]
    SkyeFire you have said in another thread that you have run EKI in officelite so from your experience what can I do about this KLI error? Please help, I'm losing my mind...It's incredible that KUKA UK only has one person who knows how to fix this.

• The real controller and the VM OfficeLite PC will have different MAC addresses.

1. Change the IP Address of the Windows Interface (normally virtual5).
    2. Cold start (reboot) with reload files.
    3. Change the IP Address back to original.
    4. Cold start (reboot) with reload files.

This should rewrite the KLIConfig.xml and clear the message.

Edited once, last by PJonHar ().

• SkyeFire you have said in another thread that you have run EKI in officelite so from your experience what can I do about this KLI error? Please help, I'm losing my mind...It's incredible that KUKA UK only has one person who knows how to fix this.

Sorry. I'm afraid I only ever used OfficeLite 5.x (for KRC2s), which is a very different beast from 8.x. For 8.x, I had a full OfficePC purchased from KUKA directly, which contained all the hardware of a KRC (aside from the power and servo modules), so I never encountered this issue.

Advertising from our partners