[SOLVED] KUKA KRC2 Windows fail

• Hello everyone,
    I own a KUKA KR-210 L150 and everything was working fine, but since yesterday (after I believe was because I shut down the robot while windows was starting) the KCP screen is showing a screen that says:

The last attempt to restart the system from its previous location failed. Attempt to restart again?
    - Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu
    - Continue with system restart

I'm not able to choose any option with the KCP keyboard nor with a external keyboard (USB Wireless keyboard).
    Is there a solution to this?
    Thanks in advance!

Edited once, last by Nox ().

• I can't see anything if I connect an external monitor to the controller (or maybe I'm doing it wrong? just a VGA cable in the PC).

I was thinking on just reinstall Windows XP and install the KUKA software again, but I don't have the Windows version for this and I'm also not sure how is the procedure to do this.

Additional notes:
    - I'm able to access the BIOS or the BOOT MENU with they external USB keyboard, but I can't do anything to avoid this message... I've read that pressing F8 takes you to a Safe Mode menu but I cannot make this happen, with any Function key.
    - If I shut down the controller using the Switch, sometimes it goes off right away, and sometimes is still on for ~1 minute.

• The KRC system is actually started from the Startup folder in WinXP, so simply holding Shift down during boot (external keyboard only, this won't work with the KCP keyboard) should let you get into the Windows Desktop. Make sure to keep holding Shift from before the Windows splash screen appears until after the Windows Desktop completely loads.

Since you don't have the install media for Windows, I strongly recommend, before doing anything else, copying the hard drive using Clonezilla, Ghost, Acronis, or similar backup software.

Beyond that... I don't think the WinXP KRC2s had a "Hibernate" file, or else I'd suggest deleting it.

There ought to be a way to resolve this without re-installing anything, but I'll admit I'm drawing a blank ATM. Worst case, you could try re-installing KSS, but re-installing Windows shouldn't be necessary (plus, you'd have to get a fresh install CD from KUKA).

I also recommend checking your batteries, that shutdown behavior does not sound right.

• The KRC system is actually started from the Startup folder in WinXP, so simply holding Shift down during boot (external keyboard only, this won't work with the KCP keyboard) should let you get into the Windows Desktop. Make sure to keep holding Shift from before the Windows splash screen appears until after the Windows Desktop completely loads.

Hello, I think you must hold the Ctrl key...

• I've tried both Shift and Ctrl Keys and they do not work, the problem is that the Windows Screen is far from appearing... right now after the BIOS Screen it appears this message (not my screenshot, but is almost the same)

• I think in KRC2 by default USB-Port was disabled in BIOS. So without changing this in the BIOS you will not be able to use a USB Keyboard. KUKA probably had a very good reason why this was done (problem with DMA access and realtime violations if i remember correctly).

Fubini

• that may be true for controllers that were KRC2ed05 from factory. i have seen plenty of KRC2 that got upgraded but USB was never enabled. Also if using PS2 input device, it has to be connected BEFORE powering up

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• ??? If you upgrade to ED05 then its a new pc so will have the correct the bios with USB enabled.

If you upgrade the software to windows Xp this is not an ED05 Pc so the bios with be disabled for USb by default

• I will try to find a PS2 Keyboard (do they even exist yet? :icon_mrgreen:) and try it... but the USB keyboard works in my BIOS and the BOOT MENU, but is worthless to do anything on this, I always land on the same screen...

Thanks for your answers, I'll keep you posted :smiling_face:

• It is extremely odd that the USB keyboard will work in the BIOS screens, but not in this 'recovery' screen. I'd still say it's worth trying a PS/2 connection. There are USB-to-PS/2 adapters cheaply available on the market.

The fact that you never get to the Windows splash screen suggests this is actually a Windows issue, rather than a KSS issue, as I originally thought. I've never encountered this on a KRC before -- you might have better luck searching in WindowsXP-specific forums.

Worst-case, you can probably get a replacement Windows install CD from KUKA (they'll need the serial# of the robot and cabinet), but I hope you have recent backups. And again, I STRONGLY recommend cloning the hard drive before you do anything further (and cloning it again as soon as the robot is fully operational again).

• Phoenixbios v2.5 according to the screen
    but I can use the usb keyboard normally on the bios and boot menu so it's kinda annoying to not be able to use it on the windows screen :frowning_face:

• OK, So I get a PS2 Keyboard and it works! not sure which option should I use though... I don't want to mess up something...

- Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu
    - Continue with system restart

• Well I choose continue with system restart and everything worked correctly! so this case is solved... it was just the PS2 Keyboard :smiling_face: Thank you all!

Advertising from our partners