ESAB AristoRob 500

• Hi everyone!
    The question is how to use AristoRob 500

I have ESAB LRA system and I always program it :
    I go to ArcWare -> Create new schedule ( set Syn/nonSyn, welding voltage, wire speed, wire diameter, gas, material, burnBack time ....)
    Create ArcOn instruction -> create weld parameter wd1 and set sched num and welding speed

The problem is that on my new system I don't have arcWare manager where I create schedule (Is it ok?)
    Now in ArcOn welding parameters I can set welding voltage and wire feed speed but the thing is that when I set the values whatever value I put wire feed speed will be the same ( voltage changes )

Maybe I use it incorrectly?
    Thank you

• My heart took an extra beat when I read the headline... AristoRob 500 :coeuranime: :coeuranime: :coeuranime:

Such a wonderful machine, very questionable quality, but man was it nice when it worked.

The Aristorob is actually the predecessor to the LRA/LRB/LRC (i.e. Arcitec).

The Aristorob doesn't have a CANBUS like Arcitec/LRx does so it's all controlled with discrete I/O and setting up the schedules (wire type, wire size, shielding gas, etc.) is all done on the control panel of the power source.
    The controls you have from the robot is calling a schedule, setting wirefeed speed, offset (+/- 10V) the voltage off the synergic line.

It doesn't sound like it's configured correctly and/or is functioning properly if your wirefeed speed doesn't affect the actual.
    Voltage would change a little bit since the powersource is compensating for the change.

Which wirefeeder are you using ? A314/A324 (the ABB units), or maybe even the clunky yellow/orange box MED44 or whatever they were called

• Oh, thank you for your reply!
    I have both of Mig/Mag and Tig wire feeder in my system but I use only Mig/Mag feeder

Please tell me do I use it correctly
    if I want synergic
    Firstly I set parameters on AristoRob: press Syn -> set material, gas, wire size
    Go back to previous menu where welding current and voltage appears (0A 0V SYN SET--)
    Then I set welding parameters (on robot):
    voltage 0 (+- 10)
    wireSpeed
    welding speed

for example, I set (0v 3 wire and 9 speed)
    it welds Ok and AristoRob shows 17.5v 96A but when I set (2v 3 wire and 9 speed) or (0v 4 wire and 9 speed) the values on AristoRob are the same: 17.5v 96A

is it correct?

• What does 3/4 wire correspond to ? m/min, inches/s ?

In your weld-data do you have a setting for Schedule ? You need that to be able to call the schedule / program number that you just set on the aristorob

• 3/4 is m/min
    In my weld-data I have weldSpeed, wire feed speed, weld voltage, org weldSpeed, org wire feed speed, org weld voltage and it is all

• Then something isn't set up right - you should (normally) have a schedule setting as well.
    Can you post your proc.cfg and eio.cfg files

Which brand/model is your wire feeder ? (can you post a pic of it)
    Does it have two cables going back to the power source ?
    (trying to figure out if you're using the built in wire feed regulator or if it's a retrofit using a 3rd party feeder / regulator).

• Hi,
    Just read about your Aristorob question............

"for example, I set (0v 3 wire and 9 speed)
    it welds Ok and AristoRob shows 17.5v 96A but when I set (2v 3 wire and 9 speed) or (0v 4 wire and 9 speed) the values on AristoRob are the same: 17.5v 96A"

When you start to weld the way I have seen most Aristorobs work is that they call store location 0 on the front of the powersource. If you use a group output and put a value in this then you can change this if you are using different wire sizes gases etc. But if you are only using one setup then leave it using 0.
    You will be able to change the Voltage and Wirefeed speed.
    But reading the above you are using Synergic. Therefore you can control the wirefeed but not the voltage. It says voltage on the pendant. But what you are actually adjusting is the arc length. So if you do some welds with say -3, then 0 then +3 in the voltage and take a close look at the arc then you should see the distance between the end of the tip and the glowing ball of the wire change length.

If you try NoN Syn. Then you will have control over the voltage.

I hope the above helps......

• When you start to weld the way I have seen most Aristorobs work is that they call store location 0 on the front of the powersource. If you use a group output and put a value in this then you can change this if you are using different wire sizes gases etc. But if you are only using one setup then leave it using 0.

Yes, I am using only one setup
    So I don't need to call schedule?

just set voltage to 0 if I want to use syn and control welding only by setting wireFeed speed
    and if I want to use nonSys I set voltage and speed and control the welding by 2 signals

And the question is do I need to call any set on Aristorob (set syn on ns)
    Because when I turn on Aristorob I see : Syn set --

Thank you

• But reading the above you are using Synergic. Therefore you can control the wirefeed but not the voltage. It says voltage on the pendant. But what you are actually adjusting is the arc length. So if you do some welds with say -3, then 0 then +3 in the voltage and take a close look at the arc then you should see the distance between the end of the tip and the glowing ball of the wire change length.

If you try NoN Syn. Then you will have control over the voltage.

Not to split hairs, but if your wirefeed and stick-out is constant - what would cause your arc length to change ?

While Arc Length might be the correct "welders terminology" and the end result, what's going on is that you are indeed changing the voltage, and on the Aristorob it is a +/- 10V offset from what the PowerSource believes is the correct value based on what the synergic "table" of gas, wire type and wirefeed speed spits out.

• Hi,
    I cannot remember exactly what needs to be set at Aristorob but you will have to tell it to be on Syn or NonSyn. So you will also have to tell it gas and welding wire sizes as well. If there is a store locatio 00 then its probably that one.

With regards to Synergic.
    Yes the voltage will change slightly when you change the voltage parameter. But that is not the use of the parameter in Synergic mode.
    The "ARC LENGTH" is changed. It is adjusting the distance between the end of the wire and the workpiece. The use of this is to increase or decrease the droplet size which falls into the molten pool. By playing with this value you can change the apearance of the weld also. Smoothing out the welder to give a better apearance.
    Because the arc length is changed the resistance changes whic by default the voltage changes.

Hope the above helps, john

• I apologize for beating a dead horse but you seem to have your terminology mixed up...

You're not setting Arc Length any more than you're setting penetration with your wirefeed or gas mileage with your throttle position, they're all a result of IT plus something else.
    Just google it :zwink:

While increased Voltage leads to increased Arc Length and also a reduced droplet size (since you're transitioning from short arc to mixed to spray) it is not how you adjust your droplet transfer per se, for that you'd have to play around with your inductance and regulator settings but that's usually overkill for 95% of all users.

As long as we're talking GMAW then most power sources are usually what's referred to as CV, i.e. Constant Voltage, so what happens is that if you increase your voltage (with the wire feed speed constant) then your resistance goes down and your current (as a result) goes down.

The fact is, you are controlling the voltage from the robot.

To go back to the original question, if Cuzzy sends me a PM with your email, then I can send you the Aristorob manual, it will show you how to recall and save your settings if you'd rather do that manually than using the schedule function of the robot (recalling only).

• My system works via pulse method
    I do have signals for tenth and units (doPU_UNIT, diPU_TENS)
    Also I have a signals for activating short pulsing mode and activation strobe (doSTROB_WD, doSHPU_WD)
    But In arcWelding parameters schedule port type is PULSE BUT schedule strobe is none
    As mentioned SAABoholic my system isn't set up right...

Then something isn't set up right - you should (normally) have a schedule setting as well.

And my question is: Does AristoRob 500 system have arcWare manager (where I create schedules, set syn/nonSys, IsPulse ) or I don't have arcWare manager and I set my schedules on welder menu (SynSet 0, NonSyn Set 1... ) and just set a reference from robot as schedule 1 (assuming that I want to set SET1 on welder)

Also where I should declare doPU_UNIT, diPU_TENS for setting up my system

And if I will set all parameters will I see weld_sched, ign_sched, heating_sched etc...

Now I have only synergy functions (I control the welder only via wireFeed speed)
    Do I need to tell the system that I will use syn or nonSyn and if yes - where.
    Because if I use syn - analogue signal is ARC_length and I can set (+- 10V) and if not - analogue signal is welding voltage

Thank you!

• As stated earlier, Aristorob does NOT have an "ArcWare manager", it's all set/programmed on the powersource front panel.
    You call these programs/settings/schedules(correct term) by calling a schedule from your weld/seamdata.
    In order for the schedule setting to be visible you must have port and strobe configured (port tells the powersource which schedule and strobe is basically a flag / request to change).

No, you do not need to change anything on the robot between Synergic and Non-Synergic mode because the behavior doesn't change.
    In synergic mode the powersource will automatically set your "base" voltage based on which wirefeed speed you have, in non-synergic mode it is set to what you program/select on the powersource.

Regardless of which mode you're in, you are applying an adjustment/trim to the weld voltage of +/- 10V

• Thank you a lot for your reply

I have a question about port

As stated earlier, Aristorob does NOT have an "ArcWare manager", it's all set/programmed on the powersource front panel.
    You call these programs/settings/schedules(correct term) by calling a schedule from your weld/seamdata.
    In order for the schedule setting to be visible you must have port and strobe configured (port tells the powersource which schedule and strobe is basically a flag / request to change).

what did you mean about port
    Port is a group of signals (doPU_UNIT, diPU_TENS)?

Advertising from our partners