Green on robots - Work Areas And Tool Groups

• A contractor installed our robots. I have figured out Allen bradley comms and most of the moves.

We are picking and placing. I made a case switch to do one set of robot moves or the other. Then problems started when we went to go touch up points.

The robot uses the default work area(work 1) and a tool group for a part we pick up and put into a nest.

However the tool has to have quite a bit of rotation about various axis to get the part center point over the nest, That creates a problem because now I cant move directly x or directly Y to set the part in the nest. Since the tooling coordinate is twisted it moves in the twisted x or y direction instead of the one I want.

Is the solution to this, to create a work area? Then I should be able to move in the X-Y-Z plane of that work area instead of the X-Y-Z plane of the tooling point?

Or is the solution to reteach the tooling point to where the object is centered and the Rx,Ry,Rz are 0, 180, or 90?

The idea of a work area coordinate plane and a tool group coordinate plane confuses me. I don't understand how to select one or the other in the robot. I know I can select both but I'm not wrapping my head around which coordinate plane I am in when I have two.

• Hi

I dont know much about Denso but your "problem" could be related to any other robot manufacture.
    Are you using vision ?
    I dont understand who's directing the robot to go to a particular x,y
    Are you palletizing and your math doesnt work ?

Retired but still helping

• There is no vision on this robot, but there are on the other two I have.

It is a pick and place operation. We pick from a pallet and place the parts into an upper nest and lower nest of an IR welder, then we smash the two pieces of plastic together and remove the part with the robot.

I am just teaching the points for a new part with the teach pendant and duplicating the contractor's code. I only had two days with the line. To get the part into the nest to teach the point was very difficult using the coordinate system that the original robot programmer used.

I think what I need to do is use the tool point coordinate system to orient the part, then switch coordinate systems to a work area so that the XYZ plane is easy to teach. I am just not confident yet because I came to this conclusion from reading the instruction manual. I do not have a good robot base of knowledge to build upon.

Denzo has a simulator that I figured out, so I probably just need to sit down and play with a copy of the program in the test environment.

• and by pallet, I mean that there is a pallet lift system and there are single pallets on a conveyor. The pallet arrives at a pallet stop and a pallet lift raises and locates the pallet. All pallets are in the same located position and there is only one part on each pallet. I am not depalletizing .

• OK
    Or I'm confused or you are complicating your life
    I think (I could be wrong) that you are confusing teaching and jogging.

You ca jog the robot however you like, using tool , working planes, etc, etc. How you actually teach it , could be under the same condition or under different conditions

When you say To get the part into the nest to teach the point was very difficult using the coordinate system that the original robot programmer used. For this, you can teach you own tool to jog and teach it with the contractor set up. By the way , how complex is your tool ? I'm assuming your pallets are horizontal and the robot is floor mounted, so, the robot world coordinates matches the real world / Just jog under this conditions, get the robot where you want and teach under the contract setup. This is not the best way of doing things but for the number of points you are dealing with is the easiest solution..

Retired but still helping

Advertising from our partners