KRC2 KCP connection error with watchdog error

• Hi everyone,

We just turned on our KR500 with the KRC2 ed05 controller after sitting dormant. We have a few errors that have now come up––the robot was working before.

328 KCP: connection error WATCHDOG_ERROR
    106 Perform mastering A1
    106 Perform mastering A2
    106 Perform mastering A4
    106 Perform mastering A5
    106 Perform mastering A6
    205 Software limit switch + A3
    310 Safety circuit for drivers not ready
    200 Drive contractor off
    203 General motion enable

With regards to the "328 KCP connection error", the estop and display works on the pedant but not the soft buttons. We suspect that the pendant cable broke; however, could something become loose in the cabinet that we should check? Could it be a connection to the robot as well or is this error isolated just the KCP connection?

Is there a way to load the previous mastering data in without remastering again? The batteries were replaced before turning on and the robot has not moved since been in placed in squatting position before shutting down.

Best,
    Matthew

Edited once, last by rotax ().

• Hey everyone,

I used reference to remaster the robot. However, I still have the issue with the pedant.

The softkeys, the safety and start buttons, and the drive switches do not work. I believe that there are independent loops for different functionality of the pedant (display, estop, and the CAN bus), please correct me if I am wrong. There is obviously an issue with the CAN bus as the display and the estop work.

Am I correct in thinking that the CAN bus goes straight from the pedant to the CI3 board with no other devices involved? Because the error is KCP: connection error WATCHDOG_ERROR (error id 328), can I assume the error is between the CI3 board and the pedant? Are there other places for me to check? Also, what exactly is the watchdog? Is it just the interface to the CI3 board?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best,
    Matthew

UPDATE: Checked each wire in the pedant cable and all the connections were good, yet still same watchdog error. Unsure what to check now. Could this be a software issue as well? The arm is no longer integrated in its system, I believe we disable all the drivers and are using a X11 jumper cable.

Edited once, last by rotax ().

• Thanks for the reply, panic!

I'll make sure I check those three independently.

Additionally, how can I reset KSS to factory defaults without losing the specific arm data? I've tried running the setup executable from the D drive, and leaving just the mada folder checked on the menu; however, all the configured IOs and etc are still in KSS after reboot. Is there a way to reset everything completely as if it came from the factory?

Is the setup executable specific to my arm? I.e. do I need to keep the mada folder during install?

Also, what is the x16 interface? I tried searching the manual to no luck.

Best,
    Matthew

• controllers that have external axis with single brake module have SBM wiring break out on X16 interface. if you don't have external axis any more, this can be removed.

all robot arm specific data is in robot MADA. that is just two files:
    KRC:\R1\MADA\$machine.dat
    KRC:\R1\MADA\$robcor.dat

if those files are replaced, controller ill think it is working with different arm.
    set of default MADA for bunch of robots is on D:\

note MADA gets modified when external axis is added or removed etc..

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

[size=1em]In a nutshell, I am working with a KRC2 ed05 running KSS 5.5.14 (the mode key is on the cabinet). The robot (KR500) and its controller were removed from the system it was integrated to. I no longer have input from the KCP.[/size]

[size=1em]I am using an X11 jumper that I made.[/size]

[size=1em]OK[/size]

[size=1em]DeviceNet is not an issue for now, just comment out driver for DeviceNet in IOSYS.INI[/size]

[size=1em]X16 is used to wire SBMs. This is addition to safety system that allows to hold external axis (turn table for example) so it is safe for operator to get close, WHILE robot arm is operational somewhere else (away). This affects external axes only.[/size]

[size=1em]X7.1 is motor connector for external axis. Resolver from that motor connects to RDC on the robot base.[/size]

[size=1em]X13 should be just peripheral connector with 24V power on it.[/size]

[size=1em]The KRC and KPC turn on and boot up. However, the controller has one error: 328: KCP connection error WATCHDOG_ERROR.The buttons on the KPC do not work as well. [/size]
    [size=1em]I've tested the connection from the pedant itself to the X19 connector and there were not problems with it. I am not sure what watchdog is or why the KCP is not connecting correctly. I am wondering if this is a hardware issue or remnants in the software of the previous system it was integrated into. [/size]

[size=1em]could be either software or hardware.[/size]

[size=1em]watchdog is just a generic and VERY frequently used mechanism in computing and control. [/size]

[size=1em]think of it as an alarm clock. when something need to be done, watchdog is reset and starts ticking. if requested operation finishes before watchdog time is up, watchdog is silenced because everything is ok. but when expected action takes longer and does not complete before watchdog time is up, watchdog "barks" and you get message or alarm that action did not produce desired result. this is used all the time and everywhere, for example:[/size]

[size=1em]when trying to communicate (send message and complain when there is no response).[/size]

[size=1em]when controlling actuators (send command to clamp to open or close, and complain if it fails to do so in specified time)[/size]

[size=1em]etc.[/size]

[size=1em]To check if it is a software issue, how can I reset KSS to factory defaults without losing the specific arm data? I've tried running the setup executable from the D drive, and leaving just the mada folder checked on the menu; however, all the configured IOs and etc are still in KSS after reboot. Is there a way to reset everything completely as if it came from the factory?[/size]
    [size=1em]Is there a hardware place I should look at? Does X16 need a safety loop? Like X11 needed? Could it be an issue with my X11 jumper? Could it be an issue with RDC? [/size][size=1em]Any advice would be much appreciated. I can provide further information if needed.[/size]

[size=1em]i don't see how RDC would be involved in case like this based on messages you mentioned... [/size]

[size=1em]EDIT here is a bypass plug for SBM. if this is connected directly to the SBM, that external axis is not disabled (regardless of what is connected to X16)[/size]

• Still no luck. Thanks for your help so far! Here's the updated info:

I added the jumper to the external axis 1 (axis 7)'s SBM.

Does axis 7 on RDC and the X7.1 connector need to be connected to a servo? We do not have an external servo anymore so these connectors are disconnected. Would this cause the error if these are left empty and the software is looking for them?

On the RDC, the LED labeled V114 is green and the LED labeled V208 is red. Does the red LED indicate an issue?

I can't imagine the CI3 board would go bad after sitting dormant for 6 months. The X11 safety circuit works on the CI3 board because if we remove the X11 jumper, the software triggers the external estop.

I'm not sure what could go wrong from being a working system 6 months ago to now having a KCP connection error.

Just another data point, the KCP did travel through airport security.

Where else can I check to isolate and solve this issue?

Best,
    Matthew

• Hey everyone,

Happy New Years!

I looked through the logs and the only thing that seemed to fail was the "KrcWmiProviderSvc" service. It couldn't start. Any idea what this service is for?

Also, if I were to get another KCP2, could I use one with a key on the pedant? Or do I have to get the same KCP2 without the key?

Thanks!

Best,
    Matthew

• hello. Matthew.

did you deal with about KCP connection's question. I have same question. I don't know how to do this question. may you let me know how to do?

thank you very much!

Best Regatds

sea wang

Advertising from our partners