IRvision Tool Offset With Fixed Camera

• I have an issue understanding how the tool offsets work with iRvision. I plan on using a “Tool offset with fixed camera” with a robot generated calibration grid. This is where the robot is holding the part while it is taking a picture.

When compared to the fix frame and fixed camera where I believe that it changes the position in the fixed fame using the position data from the camera. But when I think about the tool offset with fixed camera, does it change the destination (drop off) position using the tool frame for offset frame, or does it change the tool position temporarily not adjusting the destination position?

• But how is the offset applied for tool offset applications? Does it offset the destination point or the tool coordinates?

In other words does tool change per the offset and it moves to an unmodified destination point or vise versa?

• Hello,
    iRVision stores the tool offset in VR[..]. The inspection returned value will be in relation with your tool.
    Then when you call VOFFSET, basically will apply a "tool offset" to your tool.
    Basically it's the same as using Tool Offset instruction but instead you use VOFFSET and the results will come from the camera.

• Thanks for the answers. If it offsets the tool, does that mean that the xy axis of the tool has to be parallel to the xy axis of the calibration in order to offset correctly?

I know that the Z axis has to be parallel to the calibration plane, but the other axis they never mention.

I can imagine a tool offset vision process that a tool with a Z axis opposite and parallel of the calibration Z axis with the X axis parallel pointing in the same direction as the calibration X axis and the Y axis pointing in the opposite direction as the calibration Y axis would differ compared to a tool and calibration axis that are parallel and pointing in the same direction. But when following the instructions manual this would work either way. But still my head has trouble wrapping around it, as to how does it know how to offset based of the calibration X,Y,R to the tool X,Y,R.

I basically want to know how the found positions and reference positions are used to make the tool offset work.

• HI

Thanks for the answers. If it offsets the tool, does that mean that the xy axis of the tool has to be parallel to the xy axis of the calibration in order to offset correctly?

Yes but you can change the code line to be a simple offset and not a tool offset

I know that the Z axis has to be parallel to the calibration plane, but the other axis they never mention.

You mean, perpendicular.

Just to be clear.
    The calibration grid is a plane that's usually mounted perpendicular or parallel to the world. If you are standing at the door of a typical four wall bedroom., the grid could go on any of the wall (typically the left or the right) , the ceiling and on the floor (typically this is the case)

A good define tool is needed to obtain a good calibration plane

This tool calibration , just like any other tool is not related to any other plane, surface, etc,

You can have the tool on a 30 degree angle to the grid. It's up to you how you move it. On many of my applications i did not use tool offset because of mechanical interference, etc, etc. I just used an offset from a PR

Post your program and we can tell you better

Retired but still helping

Advertising from our partners