Using a light curtain to perform a controlled stop

• DX100
    MH50
    Hello,
    I am looking to add a light curtain to an existing application for a stud welding robot. Currently the stud bowls and pick up point are accessible when the robot is moving and I want to add a light curtain to add a controlled stop to the robot when the light curtain is broken.
    I would want a restart command on the HMI everytime the light curtain is broken.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

• Yes it would be to protect a pinch point for a hand when the robot comes to retrieve a stud. There would be no opportunity to be "inside" of the light curtain after it is broken. Reading the standards closely I would like to bring the robot to a controlled stop, not an e-stop. Use the HMI to resume operation after the light barrier has been broken. The measurement from the barrier to the stud pick up point is 800mm on the conservative side. Also considering a slow robot speed to this pick up position there is safe distance to control the stop and not e-stop.

• If yoyu have a FSU in your system, you could force the speed to zero, when the Lightcurtain is broken, and when It's okay, use normal speed, in that way the robot will stop every time you break the lightfence, and start automatic, when the fence is OK!

• If yoyu have a FSU in your system, you could force the speed to zero, when the Lightcurtain is broken, and when It's okay, use normal speed, in that way the robot will stop every time you break the lightfence, and start automatic, when the fence is OK!

Thanks kinguno!
    I will check on the FSU. Is there coding that has to be added to a program or is it a monitored input on the safety unit that automatically puts the speed at zero? I have not messed around with the FSU before but this sounds like a great option to use.

• Chances are slim to none having a FSU on a DX100. Had to gut the controller to add it. Would be a big box i side the controller labelled NSU. The unit can be programmed through the pendant.

I would add in the permissives to go into the machine that the light curtain has to be clear. I would add an inteference zones to these permissives. I would have the robot servo power removed if the light curtain was broken and the robot was in the machine cube and not the outside cube. Redundancy, redundancy, redundancy. This would also go into the plc.

I know a thing or two, because I’ve seen a thing or two. Don't even ask about a third thing. I won't know it.

Advertising from our partners