Tool not staying straight in linear jog

• I have a IRB 6600 that I want to use in a pick and place operation. I have a tool that is very wide in the Y axis. when I jog in the Y axis it becomes angled so that the ends of the tool move a little in the X axis. this is a used robot that I am setting up and and I'm wondering if it could need calibrating?

ABB IRB-6600-175/2.8, S4C-Plus M2000

• We need more information like: controller, S4, S4C, S4C+ or IRC5? Jogging in which coordinate system? World, tool, Workobject? Check the calibration offsets from the system parameters, or service menu. Make the robot MoveAbsJ to all 0's for the six axes, then check the alignment marks.

• Controller is a S4CPLUS . problem is in all coordinate systems. I'm guessing it's a calibration issue because it was disconnected from power for a while before we got it. where does one check to see if the resolver values on the tag on the main arm are correct in the controller? is it the calibration offset?

• Yes, that is correct. Also check to see if it says "Type B" or not. Compare that to the installed system. Years ago I came across some Type B robots that were not labelled as such. They behaved strange jogging linearly, like an arcing line. When we rebuilt the system as type B, they were good. These were 6600's S4C+ also.

• Every one of the calibration offsets was different from the tag. Now that I changed them it moves straight. thanks

• Robot started acting weird again when jogging. linear jog moves in an arc which is annoying because we use it to bundle tubes and use Poffset for different lengths of tube. problem is all of a sudden it started going crooked when we put in an offset. checked the calibration offsets and they are all good. is there something else that could be the problem. We did have it turned off for a while so it lost its revolution counter because we have issues with batteries, but we calibrated those again and everything works except for moving straight linearly ( hope that a word:thinking_face:)

• Its been a year since last time - has nothing changed recently ?

i.e. did someone choose calibrate instead of updating counters, did someone re-install the software and picked the wrong robot type ?

Do you have a backup from when it worked and one from now and compared the system parameters (mainly the moc file)

• Did a 4-point alignment now it move straight again. but the moves between robtargets is not straight. I have a wide tool on it and it twists so far it hits stuff that should be far out of the way.

• Only now found out what the difference is in a MoveL and a MoveJ. changed all the MoveJ's to MoveL's now it moves straight:thinking_face:

Advertising from our partners