Floppy 5 1/4 to USB change ASEA S2 (IRB6)

• Hi all,

I have a working ASEA S2 with IRB6/2 robot in my workshop.
    (Ok changed some cards in the controller in order to get that far :icon_mrgreen:)

I would like to find a possibility to check how the program is build.

In order to do this, i want to change from floppy 5 1/4 to USB, so i can check what the controller writes to the disk.

I hope that there is a possibility to change / modify programs or write them offline.
    Anybody has an idea about these kind of things?

I hope someone has experience with this, so i don't need to start from scratch.

Thanks!

Marcel

• OK....
    ARLA, never heard about it.
    I will try to find some info on internet.
    Many thanks!

I found a 3.5 disk to USB converter already, but according to a local robotics guy here, this would not work.
    It seems that it is already a problem to go from 360kb to 720kb according to him...
    I have no clue...

Does anybody have any info on this ARLA language?

• I seem to remember there was a very limited range of makes/models of 3½" drives that could be used when converting from 5¼", we had to get them sent over from a USA supplier to the UK.

• I don't think that you have to go to 720k, just format it to 360k. I never used S2, but I imagine it has some command or function to format a disk. The robot would then format it the way it wants it.

ASEA drives always seemed a bit picky over what they would read/write, such as they wouldn't accept some 1.44M 3½" discs, we had to use 1.0M discs! (try finding them)

I think I still have a few 5¼" discs somewhere :icon_smile:

• In the early 1980s, ABB chose a floppy disk format that ended up not being the standard (IBM) a few years later (think VHS vs Beta). ABB stuck with this format until the S4 came out in late 1993.
    Try contacting the great folks at GRP and see if they still have the S2 floppy to CF or USB. See attached.

I think I still have a few 5¼" discs somewhere :icon_smile:

I still have some new 5.25" floppies and cleaning disk I'm waiting to donate to a museum. I used to convert the upside-down full height 5.25" to half height and later on, the 5.25" to 3.5". The easy to configure Teac FD235HF series disk drives worked out well back then for both S2 & S3 replacement, Adept MC and Kawasaki AD too.

• In the early 1980s, ABB chose a floppy disk format that ended up not being the standard (IBM) a few years later (think VHS vs Beta). ABB stuck with this format until the S4 came out in late 1993.
    Try contacting the great folks at GRP and see if they still have the S2 floppy to CF or USB. See attached.

I still have some new 5.25" floppies and cleaning disk I'm waiting to donate to a museum. I used to convert the upside-down full height 5.25" to half height and later on, the 5.25" to 3.5". The easy to configure Teac FD235HF series disk drives worked out well back then for both S2 & S3 replacement, Adept MC and Kawasaki AD too.

I did quite a few 5.25" to 3.5" conversions, I am UK based and the only source of the correct 3.5" drives at the time was in the US so we had to import them.

• I did quite a few 5.25" to 3.5" conversions, I am UK based and the only source of the correct 3.5" drives at the time was in the US so we had to import them.

Can you remember what you had to change configuring the Teac FD235HF? Im asking as im trying to revive an old S2 and an s3 system as well

Advertising from our partners