Position Converter - Convert from XYZWPR Rep to Joint Rep and Back

• How does that work? I'm not sure we're using the same terminology here -- I know that when I'm programming a Fanuc vs a KUKA, and using my hand to work out what angles I need to use, I have to rotate in completely different sequences.

Its a property of extrinsic (always rotating about world frame) vs intrinsic (rotating about the frame created from the previous rotation (the ' and '' notations)) Euler rotations.

To quote the wiki article on it:

Any extrinsic rotation is equivalent to an intrinsic rotation by the same angles but with inverted order of elemental rotations, and vice versa. For instance, the intrinsic rotations x-y’-z″ by angles α, β, γ are equivalent to the extrinsic rotations z-y-x by angles γ, β, α.

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

• I've updated the position converter to v1.1.

Changes:

Added support for R2000iB/210F and the 165F.

Added the ability to convert on robots with multiple groups. However only GP1 will convert.

• Hi,

Yes they are. However, we are both right! Rx - Ry' - Rz'' is equivalent to Rz - Ry - Rx.

probably not

Kuka is using Rz - Ry' - Rx"

in accordance to the quote - it is not the same

For technichians it is the best way always rotate around the new coordinate system (right/(left) hand rule)

I am using the right hand rule with my left hand; so I can use my right hand for the direction of rotation.

The math will have slight differences from a conversion done on the Fanuc controller vs a conversion done by this program. Typically the differences are in the order of hundredths to thousandths of a millimeter

yes, agree you are completely off - what's about the angles?

When I made first comparison between the robot reading and my values I was off about the same.

After adjusting (PI, atan_2, etc.) I got almost the same values (off about 0.00001 mm or deg)

There is actually not only one set of DH Parameter (for kuka there are at least 4 sets)

• probably not

What. Did you even read the wiki article I referenced? This is a mathematical concept that that has been proven. Extrinsic rotations of a particular order are the same as Intrinsic rotations with the order reversed. We were not discussing the order of rotations a particular robot uses.

Angles are typically fine. "Completely off" is a bit of a strech here. Being off by a few microns on a robot not capable of repeating ten times the error my program introduces is a non issue. I don't feel like chasing down rounding errors in Fanuc's or my code when it produces the results I want within an acceptable margin of error.

• Hi,

Your quote: typically the differences are in the order of hundredths to thousandths of a millimeter

to be honest - could be better

Yes they are. However, we are both right! Rx - Ry' - Rz'' is equivalent to Rz - Ry - Rx.

This is correct - but not working for kuka

Kuka is using Rz - Ry' - Rx"

in accordance to the quote - it is not the same

We were not discussing the order of rotations a particular robot uses.

This I missed, sorry

• HawkME

I agree, normally distance of better than 0.01 mm is very good. But I also asked about degree.

Althogether Nation did and still doing a very good job.

If anyone had the idea, that I want to blame him - I am very sorry, this was never the case.

He even encouraged me to work more on the robot models (ABB, FANUC, KUKA) in order to get a better understanding of the differences.

regards

MOM

• Hello,

I just want to know how did you do that freeware? which tool or software did you use? I want to do one application too.

Regards

• Hi Nation I am trying to run the program and it is also showing that the program can not find version.dg (I did an all of the above backup of the MD) I tried looking for the file on the robot itself and I don't seem to be able to find the file there either. Is there a way for me to bypass this step and enter the values manually?

• I’m in the process of learning the kinematics. It looks like you wrote this in c#. Would you be willing to share source code so I could use it to help me understand the process?

• I’m in the process of learning the kinematics. It looks like you wrote this in c#. Would you be willing to share source code so I could use it to help me understand the process?

Sure. I've made it open source. Not the greatest code or organization, but you can view it on github.

https://github.com/SynapticRobotics/PositionConverter.

IK Conversion is done here.

Advertising from our partners