Rj2 issue teach pendant boots up To ready screen and froze

• Thanks for the idea Brewton,

I'll try connecting with Filezilla via the RS232. I've try using the PREV and NEXT (holding and then powering up) and also F1 and F5 (holding and the powering up)
    (by powering up i mean = the operator controller the big box the teach prendant stay on was turn to OFF and after pressing the buttons and holding i turn the operator controller the big box ON) (just to sure it clear).

but both case i wasn't able to load the BootRom display where i could do a cold start or worst case a INIT Start. Cable should be good I mean it was working before he broke the machine (highly doubt it broke within 15 mins after he mess up the machine.)

Pretty sure if i manage to get to the BootRom I would we able to do a cold start or a INIT start and fix the machine. Pretty sure he din't erase the software of the machine. I mean in order to do that he would had to go into the BootRom or CMOS mode. Maybe he just just erase the teach pendant drivers.

But in order to diagnose i need to get into the BootRom ... :hmmm:

• I seem to recall but maybe not! Try using the F1 and F5 buttons. Think I had some older robots that did that also recall pressing the User 1 and User 2 buttons on the controller.

I've try with PREV and NEXT and also with F1 and F5 get the same result (pendant ready) but doesn't go further. see attachment.
    I've also got KFLOPPY on an windows XP computer.

I've unplug and replug the wires and the unplug and replug the main board.

Still freezes at pendant ready.. :wallbash:

i also have those error light on the main board is there a way to clear them ?

• Hi guys,

just a quick update,

manage to fix the issue.

so the robot is a Fanuc S-10 and the teach pendant is R-J
    to go into the bootrom you have to press User1 and User2 on the operator box (the big huge box).

thank you all for your help and assistance. I will do a backup ASAP.

• Hi guys,

pendant is R-J
    robot is a Fanuc S-10

issue was i didn't know where User1 and User2 was (i was looking at the teach pendant - it was on the controller the big box)

i'm able to get into the bootrom, (all LEDS are green)

i've try F1 cold > enter > F5 Start > enter > power OFF > wait 1 mins >power ON get pendant READY and 1 red LEDS on the main board

I've added some picture.

there is also a next tab (and arrow that give me additionnal options, clear , run, diags, etc...)
    i was thinking about doing a clear cmos (but i'm not sure if this will clear the error) .
    a
    any advice on how to process ?

• Even though its been years since I've did a lot of work with the R-J boot monitor, I'm sure that you need the software to reload some or all of the operating system and the specific variables needed for your robot and application. IF you can do an INIT Start to recover the software core from the FROM, you will still need the software disks to reload the variables particular to your robot.

- The 3rd picture in the last post shows the first red LED lit on the CPU board. This indicates a CMOS parity error which usually means reloading software.
    - There is no extra copy of the software residing in memory somewhere. This is 25+ year old technology, there's only enough memory to run the system - nothing more.
    - Pulling the SRAM (CMOS) card would have cleared that memory and dumped the software. This is the memory the battery maintains.
    - Clearing the CMOS will write zeros to all CMOS memory locations which will delete the software portion residing in CMOS memory. This is normally done as a prelude to loading software. You will need to reload software after doing this.
    - A cold start initializes more variables than the normal warm start. This enables changes usually made in a controlled start and resets buffers & pointers. It's not much help if you can't get to at least a controlled start menu.

• thanks for the reply Skooter,

i'm confuse about what software i need.

from my understanding there are :

BMON -- which is like the BIOS
    Then there is the Teach Pendant software (which is inside the EPROM chip hard to delete that one)
    Then there is Operating system (basically telling i have Fanuc S10 robot and telling the servo motor and encoder how to move, etc)

now sure what software i need ?
    isn't the memory usually store in a bubble memory card on those old machine ?

could you tell me what are the steps i should do to troubleshoot this ? please (i'm more used to cnc machines this is my first robot play)

thanks for you advice so far guys , much appreciated

• The BMON is firmware residing on the socketed 1MB EPROM on the CPU board.
    The software you need is for the R-J operating system. It used to come on 9 to 12+ floppy disks, depending on the application and options.
    The software is loaded from an external Fanuc disk drive but most of the time, everyone uses the Fanuc DOS based floppy disk emulator program called Kfloppy. Do not use a standard com cable to connect from the Laptop to the 232C port on the controller as there is +24VDC on pin 25 of the 232C port to power the Fanuc disk drive. If you have older Fanuc based CNC, you might have a cable already.
    The operating system is loaded into flash ROM (FROM) and static RAM (SRAM) daughter cards located on the CPU board. The SRAM is called CMOS by the system, a term carried over from previous generations.
    Bubble memory boards were used in Fanuc R-F to early R-H robots and thankfully replaced by CMOS memory boards for the R-H.

As for troubleshooting, loading software should get the operating system back and then loading in the backup should get you to the point of where it was when the backup was done.
    I do suggest that you and your brother become much more informed about the robot before attempting future troubleshooting.

• The teach pendant in the picture appears to be part # A05B-2301-C302. It will work with R-J, R-J2 (except dual channel RS1/RS4), and earlier single channel R-J3 controllers.
    The 7D01/04D is the version of firmware in the EPROM located in the teach pendant.
    Looks like it needs a new AWE1 keypad overlay. Fanuc part # is A98L-0001-0783#AWE1

The R-xx designation refers to the generation of the controller and not the teach pendant.

• Even though its been years since I've did a lot of work with the R-J boot monitor, I'm sure that you need the software to reload some or all of the operating system and the specific variables needed for your robot and application. IF you can do an INIT Start to recover the software core from the FROM, you will still need the software disks to reload the variables particular to your robot.

- The 3rd picture in the last post shows the first red LED lit on the CPU board. This indicates a CMOS parity error which usually means reloading software.
    - There is no extra copy of the software residing in memory somewhere. This is 25+ year old technology, there's only enough memory to run the system - nothing more.
    - Pulling the SRAM (CMOS) card would have cleared that memory and dumped the software. This is the memory the battery maintains.
    - Clearing the CMOS will write zeros to all CMOS memory locations which will delete the software portion residing in CMOS memory. This is normally done as a prelude to loading software. You will need to reload software after doing this.
    - A cold start initializes more variables than the normal warm start. This enables changes usually made in a controlled start and resets buffers & pointers. It's not much help if you can't get to at least a controlled start menu.

Hi Skooter,

I have also similar problem about software. I have 2 pcs R-J2 controller. One of them no problem. I still can use it. But one of them lost system software. It has message "No System Software" on the teach pendant. Both are same and robots are also same. Is it possible to copy all system softwares one to other. Could you please help me how can I do step by step if yes.

Thanks in advance.

Advertising from our partners