KRC1 / All of the programs have compilation errors

• Hello guys

Recently I was working with a KRC1 and I wanted to Input a new tool's dimensions but before that I only changed all dimensions of last tools to zero. It was late that day so I only turned the robot off then tomorrow I came back and turned the controller on to continue my works and to add new tool's dimensions, What I saw was a mess :icon_confused:
    I did nothing and see this right after the controller booted.

This is what happened:
    - All of the programs had compilation errors so all of the TECH stuff like arc or gripper,etc had initialization failure
    - Even bas.src had compilation errors
    - Monitoring position show "Invalid Value" in those text boxes
    - I opened tool numeric input, there was only 1 tool and the (+ -) button to change the toll number was not working and kept sending this error:"Object not found" then I inserted 2 in the Tool no. box via keyboard but this error appeared: "Value range overflow Tool no. (1-1)"

What I did:
    First I checked if robot can move or not, fortunately it can move. then I tried to open some random programs, as I expected all of actions sent the error "[Prog name] not correct".
    After that I headed back to the tool numeric input window and changed all of dimension (X,Y,Z,A,B,C) from 0 to 1. It strangely changed and didn't expect so :hmmm: even with that, nothing happened.
    I tried loading everything from hard disk's archive (from menu FILE -> Load all from hard drive), nothing changed.
    I tried shutting down the robot with or without cold start but nothing happened.

I was looking for the file which is related to tool's data but couldn't find it yet. (I'll keep searching)

Any Idea what to do next? :icon_rolleyes:

** Images are attached **

Thanks, Reza

• Place your Ad here!
  • [size=1em]
    Hello guys

Recently I was working with a KRC1
    [/size]

[size=1em]please read READ FIRST and provide DETAILS such as KSS version[/size]

[size=1em]I wanted to Input a new tool's dimensions but before that I only changed all dimensions of last tools to zero.[/size]

[size=1em]how EXACTLY was that done? [/size]

[size=1em]It was late that day so I only turned the robot off then tomorrow I came back and turned the controller on to continue my works and to add new tool's dimensions, What I saw was a mess :icon_confused: I did nothing and see this right after the controller booted.[/size]

[size=1em]And fortunately you planned it all out and made backup? In that case no problem...[/size]

[size=1em]This is what happened:- All of the programs had compilation errors so all of the TECH stuff like arc or gripper,etc had initialization failure- Even bas.src had compilation errors- Monitoring position show "Invalid Value" in those text boxes- I opened tool numeric input, there was only 1 tool and the (+ -) button to change the toll number was not working and kept sending this error:"Object not found" then I inserted 2 in the Tool no. box via keyboard but this error appeared: "Value range overflow Tool no. (1-1)"[/size]

[size=1em]sounds like $config.dat was corrupted and HMI could not read other tools. this is where reverting changes would be a reasonable action - either restoring backup you made or at least reversing changes that YOU made.[/size]

[size=1em]What I did:First I checked if robot can move or not, fortunately it can move. then I tried to open some random programs, as I expected all of actions sent the error "[Prog name] not correct".After that I headed back to the tool numeric input window and changed all of dimension (X,Y,Z,A,B,C) from 0 to 1. It strangely changed and didn't expect so :hmmm: even with that, nothing happened.I tried loading everything from hard disk's archive (from menu FILE -> Load all from hard drive), nothing changed.[/size]

[size=1em]was that complete archive? archives can different content, such as only log files, or only programs... did you use YOUR backup to restore from - one that you made fresh before attempting any changes and one that is COMPLETE?[/size]

[size=1em]I tried shutting down the robot with or without cold start but nothing happened.[/size]

[size=1em]what EXACTLY is this supposed to mean? you turned off power and controller did not power down? maybe you have faulty disconnect switch....[/size] :beerchug:

[size=1em]I was looking for the file which is related to tool's data but couldn't find it yet. (I'll keep searching).[/size]

[size=1em]login as Expert and check[/size]

[size=1em]KRC:\R1\System\$CONFIG.DAT[/size]

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

Edited once, last by panic mode ().

• If you changed the tool data by directly editing $CONFIG.DAT, then you probably made a syntax error in that file. This would have cascading effects on nearly every program module in the robot, since 90% or more of them will have direct dependency on $CONFIG.DAT.

Basically, when multiple modules begin showing compilation errors at the same time, look for the dependencies that they share.

• [size=1em]please read READ FIRST and provide DETAILS such as KSS version[/size]

Ah sorry I forgot to post KSS version, whole "Info" window is now attached :fine:

[size=1em]how EXACTLY was that done? [/size]

This was done by: SETUP > Measure > Tool > Numeric input
    There I changed all of those numbers to 0

[size=1em]login as Expert and check[/size]

[size=1em]KRC:\R1\System\$CONFIG.DAT[/size]

If you changed the tool data by directly editing $CONFIG.DAT, then you probably made a syntax error in that file. This would have cascading effects on nearly every program module in the robot, since 90% or more of them will have direct dependency on $CONFIG.DAT.

Basically, when multiple modules begin showing compilation errors at the same time, look for the dependencies that they share.

Actually I haven't touched $CONFIG.DAT yet for any reason (seems too risky) and only worked with system itself.

There's a backup from whole system, I'll try comparing two $CONFIG.DAT files and replace that if necessary
    and let you know the results :merci:

• There's a backup from whole system, I'll try comparing two $CONFIG.DAT files and replace that if necessary
    and let you know the results

PROBLEM SOLVED

Thanks a million :merci::beerchug:

I opened the $CONFIG.DAT and it was all empty, then replaced it with its backup and everything went OK.

But a question remained for me: Why would $CONFIG.DAT become empty with only changing a tool's dimensions?
    Might it be a system bug? or I may did something wrong? :hmmm:

• It's extremely rare, but sometimes system files can become corrupted for no apparent reason. This is more of a problem on older systems as they age, and KSS 2.3 is really old. Also only shipped on really old hardware, so issues with "senility" become more likely.

Keeping regular backups, and having at least one complete hard-drive image, is critical. If the hard drive were to suddenly fail physically, there's no way to recover without a full image, short of getting all new installation disks from KUKA (and that would require the CD-ROM drive and floppy drive to work).

• Keeping regular backups, and having at least one complete hard-drive image, is critical. If the hard drive were to suddenly fail physically, there's no way to recover without a full image, short of getting all new installation disks from KUKA (and that would require the CD-ROM drive and floppy drive to work).

Actually I was thinking about it but don't know the way,
    would you please show me some instructions for making an Image of the entire system? (Maybe a software to install or...) :help:

• For a KRC1... well, back when they were new, you could buy a copy of Norton Ghost that would fit onto a single bootable floppy disk. But these days, even a "light" Linux distro can barely fit on a CD-ROM, and the KRC1s can't boot from CD, IIRC.

Probably your best bet would be to buy an IDE-to-USB converter, remove the HD from the robot, and use the converter to connect the HD to a computer. Then you could use something like CloneZilla or Acronis to clone the robot HD. Once you have the clone image file, you can put the HD back into the robot.

The good news here is, you only really need to do that once. Once you have one complete clone of the HD, as long as you keep regular Archive backups, you can recover the robot even if the HD completely dies. Simply buy a new compatible HD (they're a little hard to find these days, but they're still around), restore the clone image onto it, install the new HD into the robot, then boot the robot and perform a Restore of your latest Archive. That should bring the robot back 100% to the condition it was in when the Archive was made.