Connecting a LBR iiwa to Beckhoff PLC

• Good morning.
    Will be greatly appreciate if any can advise on connecting a LBR iiwa to a group of other devices through a Beckhoff PLC.
    I have a EL6695 terminal for connecting an EtherCAT master to a PLC bus. The EL6695 xml file has been imported in WorkVisual and I configured a few inputs and outputs for the terminal under X44. After that I am kind of lost. I presume that the Beckhoff TwinCAT should be able to recognise the inputs and outputs in a scan but it seems like it does not work in that way. Please may someone shed some light on this. Many thanks. YJW

• I have the same Problem using the EL6692 (same as EL6995 without safety). So far I found different solutions, all not working for me :wallbash:
    But maybe it will help you. The Robot can be added as Secondary or Primary, which seems to change how to add it in workvisual

As far as I know you need to export the TwinCAT configuration as xml and impot is as ESI (just choose the xml file).
    select your EL6995 in TwinCAT => go to the TWINCAT (on top next to debug) => Selected Item => Export XML Description
    You may have to add the secondary by hand (directliy to EtherCAt Device), configure it the same way as the primary and export this
    Many report they hat to delete parts of the xml, but not what to change.

You can also export your complete configuration:
    double click you EtherCAT device => EtherCAT Tab => Export Configuration File

In both solutions I get an empty List of added Devices in Workvisual by importing the DTM.

I/Os can be added by hand in Workvisual (search for a KUKA document called "EtehrCAt Bridge"):
    Add the El6695 (secondary) to your X44 and select double click it => Slave Setting => Choose data type and number of I/Os
    then connect the new I/Os
    The EherCAT Adress is fixed, maybe change it in your Beckhoff config?

Hopefully this will help you out. Please let me know you have success, I am out of ideas :help:

• I have a EL6695 terminal...

which one? from Beckhoff or from Kuka? are you sure you are using correct device description file? how did you connect it?

I configured a few inputs and outputs for the terminal under X44.

how exactly? what is the exact SunriseOS version? What is the exact WoV version? Did you integrate correct Sunrise.KOP into WorkVisual? (you must use KOP included with your SWB)

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• [size=2]not familiar with TwinCat but i know that there was some issues with WoV support of certain version of device description files. for that reason i would avoid generating own ESI files and stick with ones shared with Beckhoff. [/size]

[size=2]maybe try older version:[/size]
    [size=2]https://www.robot-forum.com/robotforum/manuals-software-and-tools-for-kuka-robots/beckhoff-esi-files-for-wov/[/size]

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• I got my system running!
    This is what I did: (for you the EL6695)

1) deinstall Workvisual and delete all Folders in C:\ProgramData\KUKA Roboter GmbH.
    2) reinstall Workvisual (with Sunrise Plugin) and import the older EL6xxx from panicmode to DTM Katalog

3)

Add the El6692 (secondary) to your X44 and select double click it => Slave Setting => Choose data type and number of I/Os
    then connect the new I/Os.

Workvisual shows in the I/O connection window different datatypes (e.g. UDINT instead of DWORD). Just configure your variables as the corresponding type.
    Export the Configuration to Sunrise. It generates methods to read or write the I/Os

4) Add the same I/Os at your Bridge in TwinCAT.
    Important: use the same datatype as in Workvisual slave settings configured, e.g. WORD or DWORD. TwinCAT will tell you it is not a typical datatype. Just press ok.

A Kuka OUTPUT will be a TwinCAT INPUT and the other way around.
    Naming do not matter. The order of connections is mirrored to the order of your TwinCAT I/O
    Exampe: TwinCAT(as you see it in your configuration)
    Input:
    Force
    Torque
    Velocity
    Output:
    Time
    Position

KUKA: Output 1 will send to Force, Output 2 to Torque, Ourput 3 to Velocity
    Input 1 will receive Time, Input 2 will receive Position

5) double click on EL6692 => EL6692 => Create configuration (Sync Master Primary)

6) Upload your configurations

Note: to add a variable in your TwinCAT program code create a GVL. When defining variables add AT%I* for inputs or AT%Q* for outputs
    Example: force_in AT%I* :DWORD;
    time_out AT%Q* :DINT;

Advertising from our partners