Setting up SMC electric gripper with KRC4

• I plan to order a LEHZ gripper from SMC.

Currently I write halt commands into a program, and during halts I install tools manually. With the gripper I plan to have the robot pick up tools by itself.

Apparently I need a controller for the gripper. SMC sell controllers which are compatible with this gripper - the LEC series.

From what I understand the gripper controller plugs into the robot and it is then controllable by the KRC4 (and so my src file)

Here is some information I got from SMC:

From the information provided, I would suggest the LEHZ would be the most suited. This gripper series must be supplied by SMC with a specific SMC controller that is programmed to retain the positional data (up to 64 lines) required to move the gripper jaws as intended. The SMC controller then receives signals as inputs to instruct the controller and gripper. Full details are shown using the link below. The SMC gripper and SMC controller are supplied under a single part number.

As I mentioned, we have no experience the KUKA controller. Most customers would control the gripper via a series of PLC outputs (the SMC controller looks for 6 step selection inputs to instruct it) so if your KUKA controller has this capacity it should be able to control the gripper but please look into this.

Can anyone give me any more details about how to set this up, or explain the above quote in less technical terms, and also give an example of the kind of commands I will need to write in my src file to control the gripper?

• is there any electronics built into gripper? SMC controller seem to contain it (stepper driver, indexer and communication interface).

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• First, we need to know two things:
    1. The control interface of the SMC controller
    2. The I/O configuration of your robot, in particular which FieldBusses you have installed, and what hardware I/O

• Hi, I'm working with the OP - thanks for your input! To answer some questions...

The link referred to in the email from SMC is this:
    http://www.smcworld.com/catalo…6-5-p0425-0484-leh_en.pdf

Here is the configurator page with the details I think we need.
    https://www.smcusa.com/product…LEHZJ20K2-10-R36N3~125767
    And we can buy a controller as recommended from SMC.

Our robot is a KR-30-3 with a KRC4 controller. So for the question about field-busses, I saw another thread from SkyeFire which says:

KRC2 controllers came standard with a built-in DeviceNet interface. The KRC4, however, does not -- adding any fieldbus to the KRC4 requires an add-on module which bridges from the KRC4's internal network to the fieldbus.

Therefore, as we haven't modified the KRC4, I'm assuming it has none.

That 3d printing post looks like a complicated setup though, so I'm hoping it will be more straightforward for us to get a gripper to open and close.

Thanks again for your help!

• KRC2 offered DeviceNet as low cost option to add I/O.
    KRC4 does the same with EtherCat... just add EK1100 and add I/O slices... then configure in WoV

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• KRC4 does the same with EtherCat... just add EK1100 and add I/O slices... then configure in WoV

I bought an EK1100 online but now looking inside the KRC4 I can see there is already one installed, it has a line in from A1-X44 but no line out atm, and it is sat next to two Beckhoff EL6731. Will this be usable for a gripper installation or will have to figure out how to wire up the 2nd EK1100?

What do you mean by I/O 'slices'?

I read in one of your other posts that WoV should be pre-installed on the KRC4. Having looked through the filesystem on the controller with the HMI minimized I can see it. Where can I find it, or will I have to install it?

First, we need to know two things:
    1. The control interface of the SMC controller
    2. The I/O configuration of your robot, in particular which FieldBusses you have installed, and what hardware I/O

How can I find out the I/O configuration?

• [size=2]EK1100 is a bus-coupler only - it has no IO points. To actually connect field signals to it, IO modules ('slices') are needed.[/size]

[size=2]You misread - WoV is never installed on KRC4. Copy of installer is placed there. You need to take that copy, put it on your machine and install it there. [/size]

3) read 1 and 2

• [size=2]EK1100 is a bus-coupler only - it has no IO points. To actually connect field signals to it, IO modules ('slices') are needed.[/size]

Thanks!

Attached to the EK1100 pre-installed in the KRC4 are a Ethercat profibus master and slave (EL6731). Pics: https://photos.app.goo.gl/dMTqqVrfEdwrhYgo6

Documentation: https://infosys.beckhoff.com/e…033/el6731/index.html&id=

Are these i/O Modules? From what I understand they are not.. Will I need to consider the gripper I plan to use and buy I/O Modules to fit?

[size=2]You misread - WoV is never installed on KRC4. Copy of installer is placed there. You need to take that copy, put it on your machine and install it there. [/size]

By machine you mean KRC4? Is it possible to run WoV on my personal laptop?

• No.... EL67xx are not IOs, they are bus interfaces. One is master and the other is slave. Neither have IO points but if your gripper has ProfiBus interface, you can connect it to ProfiBus Master (EL6731).

if your gripper requires discrete IO, you can add IO modules to existing bus coupler, for example at the right side.

Then you need to modify current WoV configuration, deploy project and activate it.
    After this your IO should be operational.

3) read 1 and 2

• This is really helpful. Thanks!

• Working through this list and stuck on #3 - I cant find GSD files for the EL6731 master, only the slave. Where can I find this?

And #4 - From the pic of my WoV project structure and message window, it looks like the only KOP I need to add is 'Profinet KRC-Nexxt 3.2.4'. I downloaded WoV 5 from Kuka and in deviceDescriptions -> GSDML is profinet3.2. But the file does not display in WoV Option package management -> install.

WoV project: http://prntscr.com/mebvla

• [size=2]of course...[/size]

[size=2]only slaves have device description files so that master(s) can know how to use("enslave") them, not the other way around. [/size]

[size=small]you are not exactly mastering your robot configuration... [/size]

[size=small]to become a master it takes effort - you need to train and read a lot. [/size]

[size=2]in comparison, it is a lot simpler to become a slave - one just need a master. (but don't confuse simpler with easier...)[/size]

:beerchug:

3) read 1 and 2

• Definitely been reading a lot today :winking_face:

R.e. this warning: 17:10:16 Following option packages used in the solution are not installed in WorkVisual: Profinet KRC-Nexxt 3.2(V3.2.4). If you want to use them, you have to install the option.

Any ideas on how to install it because I'm having no luck?

https://www.google.com/search?…&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• [size=2][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]that is a wrong book. installing and configuring WorkVisual is explained in WorkVisual manual[/font][/size]

3) read 1 and 2

Advertising from our partners