KUKA Profinet Configuration

• Hi guys

I feel like I'm going round the bend at the moment, as I can't quite seem to get a clear answer from my colleague.

I need to update the IP address of a Siemens s7-300 PLC on a profinet network. The Siemens PLC is used as a master for a KUKA robot. I have no issues with changing the IP in the S7 hardware configuration (and updating for the HMi), bu this is where my knowledge ends having not worked with KUKA before.

Do I need to change any settings on the KUKA robot to update the IP address of the PLC?

• Hi!

If you have changed the range of the IP address, yes, you need to change according to the new configuration.

normally in Start-up menu-> Network confoguration

• How large a change? Are you changing to a different subnet entirely? If not, then you probably don't need to change anything on the robot at all.

If you are changing to an entirely different subnet, then you'll need to change the robot's IP and NetMask to something that's compatible with the PLC's new IP. And also, check in advance that you're not selecting one of the "forbidden" IP ranges in the robot (which depends on what generation KRC you are using).

• Thanks for the reply guys. The only thing I’m changing is the last digit on the IP address for the PLC (ie from *.*.*.1 to *.*.*.4).

I’ve attached an image from the Siemens hardware configuration with all the information I have on the KUKA robot - I’ve not physically seen the robot yet or been given any further detail.

So I’m now assuming that I don’t have to change anything on the robot itself? How does it know where to send information to?

• ProfiNet is a master/slave configuration -- the slave doesn't need to know anything about the master, but the master needs to know everything about all the slaves.

You will need to set up the IP of your robot, once you have it powered up, to an IP that matches where the PLC expects it to be. And the PLC will need a GSD file that is correct for the robot.

Aside from that, the I/O "size" parameter (number of bytes in/out) will need to be configured on both ends, and will of course have to match.

Then, in the robot, you have to map the PN bytes to bytes in the robot's internal I/O table.

• Thank you again for your help!

Just so I’m on the same page:
    The system has already been set up and is fully functional.
    All I need to change is the last digit of the PLCs IP address due to a network conflict (someone has added a router for remote support that is currently using the same IP as the PLC - but thi”e router IP cannot be changed)
    The GSD file is already present on the PLC, and the robot IP isn’t being changed or modified at all.
    I know the HMi needs to be updated with the new IP address for the PLC so that it can be configured for communication.

The robot should require no additional changes in the above scenario? After I change the PLC IP address, the robot should function as normal because it is a slave, and the IP adress for the robot is already provided to the PLC?

Sorry for being thick, I just don’t want to be put in a situation where I shut down their production until someone who knows what they are doing steps in.

On a side note, are there any good training courses (that don’t cost a bomb!) in the UK that you guys would recommend for robotics? I’m desperate to get into it more, hence being in this situation...

• I've never needed to give the robot any information about the PLC in any ProfiNet setup I've ever done. The PN "Master" basically searches the network and "finds" any/all "slave" devices that it's been set up to look for.

If the system already works, and the only change is that the PLC's own IP is being altered, there should be no changes required on the robot.

I know KUKA's UK branch has a set of training courses available, but you'd have to contact them directly for scheduling.

Advertising from our partners