No picture

• I have problem on KRC 2.
    On pendant screen picture has frozen. Operator restarted controler, after that we do not have picture on screen.
    I try with another pendant but problem is steel there. Hard disk is OK. I checked all fuses in controler, they are OK.
    Does any one have any suggestion

• Check the connection.
    If that doesn't fix it, the KVGA is probably dead. Note down which slot the KVGA card is in, remove it, and install an AGP graphics card into the AGP slot. Plug an external monitor in, turn the controller on.

• Watch the screen while turning on the main power. If the screen "glows" slightly, that means the light behind the LCD screen is receiving power. In that case, the issue is in the controller, possibly the KVGA card or the motherboard.

If the KCP screen stays dark, with no picture, that suggests the KCP is not getting any power, and the issue could be in the cable, or in the KRC's power distribution.

The 3rd possibility is trickier. If the screen stays dark, but you can see a very dim picture (sometimes by shining a bright light onto the screen), then the backlight in the KCP is broken, but the rest of the KCP is operating correctly.

Also, before removing the KVGA card, I would suggest plugging an external VGA monitor into the card's VGA port, and see if there is any video output at all.

• Also, before removing the KVGA card, I would suggest plugging an external VGA monitor into the card's VGA port, and see if there is any video output at all.

I wouldn't recommend ever touching the VGA port on the KVGA card. It's connected directly to the main chip, and it's extremely sensitive to ESD - plugging it in too fast or without grounding yourself could easily kill the card completely. This is what happened with mine.
    If you need to test the video output, an AGP card is the safe way to go. They're a dime a dozen and you don't need to worry about killing anything else.

• Really? I spent nearly 20 years plugging VGA monitors into KVGA cards (KRC1, 1A, and 2) off and on without a care in the world, and this is the first time I've ever even heard of this. Maybe I just got lucky.

Then again, it was a lot easier to get spare parts back then, too, so extra caution might still be the wisest course today.

• Maybe I just got lucky.

Maybe then I just got unlucky! :smiling_face:
    But yeah, judging by the chip's datasheet, it's not very happy about ESD. And replacing it doesn't work(I'm an EE, I tried), so something else dies.
    It should be fairly easy to duplicate the display onto an additional graphics card without having to use the KVGA output. That, and it would be a pretty neat trick - seeing the HMI and the area outside the HMI if you set the second GPU to output 1280x1024 or higher resolution - the HMI software doesn't stretch.

• For KRC2s, I generally achieved this by installing a VNC server (usually tightVNC, sometimes RealVNC) onto the KRC. This let me output the HMI across the network without needing to tamper with any hardware.

The other advantage was remote tech support -- I could see what the user saw, and "point at" things on the screen (usually with a phone call taking place in parallel with the VNC connection).

• Really? I spent nearly 20 years plugging VGA monitors into KVGA cards (KRC1, 1A, and 2) off and on without a care in the world, and this is the first time I've ever even heard of this. Maybe I just got lucky.

Then again, it was a lot easier to get spare parts back then, too, so extra caution might still be the wisest course today.

I have pluged external monitor to the KVGA's vga port and set higher resolution. I hadn't option to turn back the previous KVGA's generic resolution, so after restarting the system the both KVGA's outputs were unfunctional. Does it means the KVGA is damaged or there is a way for recovering the card functionality?

• Have you tried to check the motherboard? I often see this type of problem and a red flag is to see one or more swollen or burst capacitors.

• I just placed another vga card instead kvga card and the external monitor shows full functional hmi. So, kvga is damaged or it's driver has to be reinstalled (instruction is needed).

• I guess you have a kr c1.

What KSS Version do you have (on CD you should have a directory "x:\INTERNAT\TOOLS\KUKAVGA")?

In a first step I would copy CT.COM to root directory and change to autostart to CT.COM instead of SM.COM (switches the display to external monitor)

Then remove your additional vga card (not sure)

Change the settings back to original (should be 640x480)

Call FP.COM (switches the display to KCP only and check whether you got your display back)

CT.COM => CRT

FP.COM => KCP

SM.COM => both

It worked for me long time ago and this is why I do not remember the exact sequence

• I have turn back the original resolution 640x840 allready, so when I place back the kvga, there was the same no screen image on both kcr and external monitor (the vga was placed on the same slot as there was kvga). Today I have to try to copy CT. COM as you sugested.

• - Double-click on "Video Controller (VGA compatible)" to open the Properties dialog box.
    - From the Properties dialog box, select the Driver tab.

- Click the Update Driver button, then follow the instructions. Use drivers in the /VIDEO folder shown in first picture.

• Thanks hermann, I'll give a try tomorrow.

By the way, to do that I have to logon in windows os as one of the administrator groups, but I dont have none of the passwords, so there is no way to reinstall or update drivers. Any help!

• Gocea

what KSS version do you have?

As you mentioned in one of your posts: you removed the kvga and replaced it with another vga card.

Windows could find the kvga and marked as other device - maybe windows remembers

the administrator password is a well known "four letter abbreviation"

Advertising from our partners