TCP/IP

• Hi Everyone,

Can anyone let me know what is the communication protocol used in ABB s4c+ M2000 controllers? I found "RAP protocol" used in the older generation controllers, But didn't manage to find any documentation or kernel. Can someone let me know which protocol works better with ABB S4C+ controllers and what kinda options required in controller? eg: TCP, Modbus, etc

Any knowledge on this topic. Please share your suggestion are valuable, Thank you :help:

• I should be able to dig up some old references / documentation later today...

Generally speaking your options on S4 generation is fairly limited - when you say "works better" - better than what, doing what ?

The only (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) native protocol is Ethernet, Serial and DeviceNet and actually not even that since the S4C\C+ platform uses CAN (yes, I know, CAN is the carrier for DeviceNET) with an adoption of DeviceNet, but when developed / released DeviceNET wasn't a (ODVA) standard yet so everyone was kind of doing their own thing, this is why the adoption / compatibility of certain I/O devices had to be developed (I/O Plus option).

When it comes to AB RIO, Interbus (Slave) and Profibus (Slave), these are "gateways" or translators (hence, imho, non-native).

Ethernet supports FTP, NFS and BootP

Serial 232/485 (actually I think it's more of 422) does basic serial channel stuff like reading/writing Ascii/Binary, with RAP you have more control over specific robot functions, I don't remember which ones off hand, but it was used for file transfer (sloooow since it's still serial) among other things.

• Hi SAABoholic,

Thanks for your reply. I hope you find some documentation about RAP. I'm trying to find details about RAP protocol so far no luck with manuals, Here I find and interesting link about https://forums.robotstudio.com…rap-on-s4c-m98-for-a-6400 seems similar to mine.

What I'm trying to do is to communicate with robot based on laser sensor feedback for seam tracking via Ethernet. Trying to create similar to Client server socket program, Any Suggestions :help:

Do I need RAP Communication option in software or FactoryWare interface can do the job?

• For seam tracking on S4's you need to use rs232/485.
    You'll also need arcware plus option.

While you theoretically could write your own sensor interface and use the corrwrite function, this is not something you want to waste your time doing. (Plus it's not going to be as good as the built in function)

• Hi SAABoholic,

Thanks for reply and manual :respect:. Are you sure it's possible with RS232/485 for real time tracking seam tracking ?

Good News I have both options available in my controller arcware plus and sensor interface. For seam tracking with laser do I need to RAP Communication option or it's not necessary and Do you have any programming example with laser seam tracking? :help:

sandeep

• Are you sure it's possible with RS232/485 for real time tracking seam tracking ?

Yes, positive.... That said, the tracker/sensor must support ABB's sensor protocol which both Servorobot and Meta does (not sure who else had it for S4/serial comm).

Do you have any programming example with laser seam tracking? :help:

There isn't much difference to the actual tracking programming, you simply add the optional argument \Track:=MyTrackData; to your ArcL/ArcC instructions and that's pretty much it.
    The physical setup, calibration and configuration is a bit trickier and setting up your joint in the laser used to be a royal pain (it's much better now than it used to be back in the early S4 days ~95-96)

I'll dig up some examples later...

• This is from a pretty cool/fun project, TIG welding butt-joints of 4mm square titanium tubes, 100% penetration no blow through.
    IRB140 with a ServoRobot Mini-i10 camera.

SIO.cfg

Proc.cfg

Weld

• Hello...TCP/IP Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol is the basic communication language or protocol of the Internet. It can also be used as a communications protocol in a private network either an intranet or an extranet. When you are set up with direct access to the Internet, your computer is provided with a copy of the TCP/IP program just as every other computer that you may send messages to or get information from also has a copy of TCP/IP.
    ISO 27001 Certification cost in Dubai | ISO 27001 Certification in Kuwait

• Hi SAABoholic,

Thanks for your reply. Do I need to add separately following to Proc.cfg
    "#AW_TRACKSENSOR:

-name "MINI-i-10" -sensor_period 50 -ipol_gain 0 -corr_filter 10\
    -path_filter 10 -path_servo_filter 1 -sen_err_ramp_on \
    -angle_beam_camera 10 "

Or Is proc.cfg provided with laser sensor by supplier?

sandeep

• While I doubt they'll configure the robot for you, the supplier (who are you considering ?) should at the very least be able to supply you with the camera information you need to do it.

Sorry, a bit of a non answer I know...
    My experience is that the sensor people are not robot people and as such you're on your own when it comes to integrating it.
    This was a while ago though, so hopefully the sensor people have brought onboard robot people to better serve their customers.

• Thanks for clearing the doubts SAABoholic.

I decided to use RS232 if ethernet isn't good option in s4c+, Now which COM port I should connect the sensor and what is Baud rate I should set? If i connect sensor directly to Controller CPU (eg: COM1) does controller will read it as external device or I should write some client socket communication software in #C,or .Net? Any wiring diagrams how to connect sensor. Please let me know what is the best way to go forward, Any suggestions will be helpful :help:

Do I need any external serial interface device similar Beckhoff KL6031?

• Well...

It seems to me that the sensor by itself doesn't interface directly with robots (for tracking anyway).
    They do list a "interface" called Lamia so I would check with Riftek if it's compatible with ABB's "Sensor Protocol":
    https://riftek.com/media/docum…amia/Riftek_Lamia_eng.pdf

Lamia appears to be Ethernet based on the robtot side in which case you're out of luck either way.

From RW6 tech specs...

If the RS232 link is used, the sensors have to be adapted to the ABB standard
    application protocol, LTAPP. Sensors that are adapted to LTAPP are available from
    companies like Servo Robot, Meta, and Scout.
    The Ethernet link is available for optical sensors from ServoRobot, which use the
    application protocol Robo-Com Light, defined by ServoRobot.

(LT = Laser Tracking)

• Hi SAABoholic,

Thanks for reply. I check with Riftek technical support they said lamia software had also an option for serial interface RS232 can be support. Could you please let me know what is the ABB standard application protocol so sensor could adapt and interact with real-time application?

I think I need to write some code using Rapid for this project.
    a, communication with sensor.
    b, calibration sensor and the robot.
    c, correct the robot path using the sensor data

But I have no idea where to start, If you send me an example it will be really helpful, Thank you :help:

sandeep

• I'm going to be blunt and tell you that you should start by not doing it....

Rapid is not meant to be a data-processor !
    Thanks to the power and versatility of Rapid it is definitely possible, at least theoretically (background task / multitasking, traps/ivarvalue and corrwrite).
    It's been done in the past for simpler applications (height control for TIG / Plasma) and this is no different "just" a heck of a lot more data to process.

But you'll end up in a world of hurt with killing the controller with processing the serial stream and you'll kill yourself trying to add filters to your "algorithm" applying corrections.

So - if you really want to code, I'd...
    A) talk Riftek into adding the sensor protocol (small snippet below, contact ABB for the official version) .
    B) Write your own "Lamia" for a PC to translate the sensor data to the Robots sensor protocol.

Advertising from our partners