Adding External Axes

• We have 4 robots that are currently operating with pneumatic grippers controlled by Robot I/O.

I have received a request to determine how possible it would be to change to a servo driven gripper.

I know this would involve adding and configuring two external axes, in addition to the creation and integration of the new gripper, but i have no clue where to begin on the steps to adding axes.

1. Do i need a different or additional Servo Amp or cards? We have a pretty standard R-30iB controller.
    2. What sort of steps need to be performed to configure external axes? Can they be added after the initial setup, or does it require some sort of first time setup? What does the process look like?

Any tips on this sort of process would be highly appreciated!

• Ours are on the end of M-900iB 360 robot arms, and the grippers hold a 20 to 40 kg payload about 50-80 cm away from the faceplate. Our problem is that our pneumatic systems are failing and needing to be replaced too frequently, and they want a more robust gripper system. We have had failures in the pneumatic cylinders at a rate of almost twice a week, and mechanical failures along the bearings a bit less often. The belief is that with a Fanuc servo and ball screw driven gripper (which we have on many other robots, just not on this particular one), we will have the additional strength to handle a much more robust gripper design, and prevent failures in both portions.

As an additional note, i am only being consulted on the feasability and cost of such a change, not whether or not we SHOULD make this change. They just want all the data on the table before they tell their higher ups what is and is not doable.

• 1. You will need a new servo card, standard is 6 axis, upgrade to 12. Add an additional servo amp, which fits in the right side of the cabinet.

2. You will need to add some software to control the extra axis. You will configure it in ctrl start under maintenance.

Look at the FSSB examples near the end of the Software Instalation manual.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• I'd say easiest and fastest would be to call fanuc rep.
    If you have servo grippers on other robots check what are the hardware and software differences. your price will mainly be determined by the amount of motors and their sizes. Software will be same price every time.
    Problem is you will pay a lot more than when ordering that with a new robot, cause you will pay "service prices" not "factory prices"

• Thank you all! I think that is all the information i will need to get an estimate. Fanuc also responded with a questionnaire that pointed to some of the items that would need to be purchased. We will probably end up having them do the setup as service, but it is definitely a skill i would like to have in the future, if they let me watch.

Advertising from our partners