I/O config help

• We are seeing up a new machine for a customer but I'm having trouble setting up the IO.
    We're using M-20iA robots with R-30iB controllers. It's all brand new equipment so it shouldn't have anything in it that fanuc doesn't set by default. And we just had a tech from fanuc here yesterday to help set up basic dcs settings and 2 external axis. But today I was trying to configure our IO and it wants to make me skip a few bits every now and then but it doesn't seem to be consistent. It's like it has secret conditions that only allows me to configure a certain range of IO's. :wallbash: any help would be appreciated

• Sorry it took so long to reply. The robots are communicating via Ethernet through a hub with an Allen-Bradley PLC L30ER with 2 digital input, 2 digital output and 1 analog 4 channel output physical cards as well as 3 Allen-Bradley point io remote racks and an Allen-Bradley panelview plus 7 HMI.

Just playing around with it trying to figure out what it would let me do this is what I found: If I set my DI (it seems to work the same with DO) to rack 89 slot 1 start 1, I'm able to set a range from 1-46 but if I bump it up to 47 it says invalid. If I skip 47 and add another range starting at 48 I can go 48-64 but same thing, if I bump it up to 65 it says invalid. If I start my first range at 2 I can go 2-64 but not to 65. However after figuring this out I realized my UOP is set up starting at start 1. So I bumped my DI start to 19 (the next available after UOP inputs 1-18) and range 2-64 switched to invalid. It will let me set it to 1-46 or 2-47 or 3-48 but I can't increase the range at all and it won't let me add any other ranges after it. :mad:

I thought about this after all this testing but the plc has had no logic dumped into it yet. Could it be that 64 total bits is the default max for internal logic? I don't know a whole lot about plc programming so I'm not sure how that works.

• Hi

I don't recall ever changing the ethernet config.
    Usually when I get a new robot, i see the 512 i/o available and I make any range I want.

I can do some more checking at work on Monday. By the way (this is just me), but I make the ranges 8 or multiples of 8, just to facilitate the understanding.

For example with the Uo/ui I use 1 - 32. Then my next range could be something like 33 - 48 or 33 - 64

Retired but still helping

• That's usually what I've been doing as well. It just makes it easier coordinating with the plc programmer. For some reason it won't let me configure it the way I want to this time. That's why I was hoping someone on here had a similar issue and/or knew what the issue could be.

• Here's how I've been setting my I/O up for a few years.
    My Enet adapter config:
    Input Size: 24
    Output Size: 24

Digital I/O
    #1 DO[1-240] Rack 89 Slot 1 Start 1
    #1 DI[1-240] Rack 89 Slot 1 Start 1

This gives you plenty of I/O to work with.

I also setup my group I/O and UOP signals but it sounds like you are just asking about the digital I/O.

In my PLC I setup the Ethernet module definition. It depends on if you have a standard application or a CIP Safety configuration.
    For a standard application I set Robot Slots to 1-4. Under the Connection Tab I set the input size to 48 and the output size to 48.

I hope this helps!

Advertising from our partners