EthernetIP CIP Safety Adapter

• Hello,

I have a question regarding EthernetIP CIP Safety Adapter. Does someone ever configure it on PLC site ?

I have *eds files form the robot, but safety adapter and regular adapter looks exactly the same :uglyhammer2: , so either I'm doing something wrong or just *eds files provided by ABB are just wrong. Screens in attachment.

I'm attaching also screen from other device with safety, over there you can see safety network.

Has someone ever came across similar problem ? That safety adapter does not have "safety" tag, options ? :hmmm:

• I've never done the PLC side of this, but I have done the robot side. A few questions:

Has the robot system been built to use CIP safety? I don't know how the device shows up on the PLC side when the system is/is not configured.
    Has the robot had the SNN entered in safemove pro? Everything may be good but not talking yet. I believe the robot requires the SNN before it will talk to the PLC
    Has the Ethernet been set to public instead of private? This is another thing that must be setup before communication works.

• Well so :icon_mrgreen:

After few hours spend with ABB support (I gotta say really nice people work there :icon_wink:) we did figure it out, seems we were not the only one having that problem.

So in attachment I'm sending pictures how it should be configurated, why it didn't work ? That's quote from ABB instruction:

Code
    Currently, using Logix Designer v28/v29, it is not possible to add 3rd party CIP
    Safety devices using the EDS Hardware Installation Tool. Therefore the user
    cannot import the EDS file of the ABB CIP Safety adapter and use it for CIP Safety
    applications. The only way to establish CIP Safety communication with the ABB
    adapter is to use the generic profiles present in Logix Designer.

So that was the reason.

Below are 2 pictures showing the configuration.

Correct block (generic.jpg):
    Select one of the available generic module profiles,
    ETHERNET-SAFETYMODULE for CIP safety communication only, or
    ETHERNET-SAFETY-STANDARD-MODULE for CIP safety and non-safety
    communication capabilities.

Correct settings (correct.jpg)
    Those are missing from the picture (they can be found in *EDS file)
    MajRev = 2;
    MinRev = 50;

So as a moment of right now DO NOT USE standard *EDS files provided by ABB since they DO NOT talk with Allen-Bradley

1. Use Generic block form AB
    2. Use configuration setting provided
    3. That will make it and make your day great :toothy9:

Hope this will help somenoe

• Is the CIP safety comms just to interface with safemove or can you also see ES, GS and AS safety signals as well via the CIP safety network? Or ES, GS and AS can only interface via hard wire.

many thanks in advance.

• Interesting... did you create a cross connections for ES , GS and AS and mapped them on the CIP safety network? Do you have a screen shot of what the safety data area of robot and PLC looked like that you could share with us. Many thanks in advance.

• This time I need to say I'm sorry I cannot share that information.

If someone is setting up safety connections he need to know what he is doing and cannot trust someones judgement.

But I'm more than happy to tell where you can setup the safety.

All is setup trough CIP safety. In Safemove in the robot you can go to Safety -> IO Connections.

There you can find all Functions (Automatic Mode, Commisioning mode, Configuration Locked, ect.). So on the left side you will have Function and on the right side you can assign a signal to it. Of course before you can assign those signals you need to create them and assign them to the correct device (Safety).

There is a separate tag on safety screen "Stop Configuration" and there you can setup AutoStop, EmergencyStop, GeneralStop. Rule is the same you will open eg. AutoStop and you need to assign correct signal to it.

Just remember that the signals for safety are assigned to SafetyDevice.

• Hello , where did you find the ETHERNET-SAFETY-STANDARD-MODULE in Studio500 EDS Library ? I can not find it … just Safety OR standard modules , not both … please :help:

• Problem SOLVED !

Hello ,

I found the missing package
    I found it on the Rockwell support website :

https://compatibility.rockwell…arch.aspx?crumb=117&q=eds
    https://compatibility.rockwell…&refSoft=1&versions=55488

>> Safety and Standard EtherNet/IP Generic 14.08.00

I have download this package , and the module is now available in my library !
    Then , I have follow your instructions for the settings , and everything works good !

Thanks a lot for your help

:dance2:

• I've never done the PLC side of this, but I have done the robot side. A few questions:

Has the robot system been built to use CIP safety? I don't know how the device shows up on the PLC side when the system is/is not configured.
    Has the robot had the SNN entered in safemove pro? Everything may be good but not talking yet. I believe the robot requires the SNN before it will talk to the PLC
    Has the Ethernet been set to public instead of private? This is another thing that must be setup before communication works.

Hi, Good Afternoon.

I am trying to achieve exactly for CIP Safety Adapter things.

1. My system / Robots has been buit to use CIP Safety (997-3) . It is appearing in installed systems.

2. When i was online with my real controller i noticed under the tab ; CIP Safety - EN_Internel_Device_safe - Node ID ( Which is showing me an error every time when i power my controller by saying Node ID for CIP Sadety doesn't match ethernet adapter.

3. Ehthernet has been set to Externel Dev Ntework (Not Private).

I have all the things configured as you are saying but still something is not working right. Even in the PLC we are having (Code 16#0127) Connection Request Error:Invalid outout size

Please suggest me if you have something

Thanks in advance!

• Yes My problem was also similar, As it looks for the NodeID and IP (Robot Controller) to be same. In that case you will need to change the Node ID

Glad that its all figured it out!

Good Luck!

Advertising from our partners