Nuisance Fault 13012 "Error During ECat stack Initialization"

• So, I got contracted to do a quick bit of support for an integrator that just installed a KR10R1000 on a KRC4 Compact (KSS 8.3.33). The robot had already been programmed and integrated successfully, I'm just on site to touch up a few points and be available if anything unexpected happens. The integrator has only basic knowledge of KUKAbots, and their resident KUKA "expert" is unavailable, hence me dropping in for a few days.

Now, the robot runs fine in Teach and Auto, but there's a constant warning message that just won't go away: KSS 13012 Error during ECat Stack Initialization (No network response).

I found that the WV project for this robot included several ECat I/O modules on the KEB, that didn't exist in hardware (I suspect the project was copy&pasted from an earlier, similar, system). There was no I/O mapped to these modules, which made their presence in the hardware tree harmless. So when I had a moment, I removed them from the project and re-deployed, thinking this would get rid of the nagging error.

It didn't.

Now, there's one other "nagging" message on the pendant that won't go away: PMS 18, Battery Defective (Load Test Failed). I have a ticket open with KUKA Service on this one, since the robot is brand new. I'm still waiting for a response, but I originally thought that these two errors were unrelated. Now I'm less sure.

So, why would I be getting an ECat error when I've deleted all the deletable ECAT modules from the KEB? This would imply it's an internal ECat error, but in that case, why does the robot run? I don't think I've ever seen an internal network error that wasn't fatal, or generated a safety fault of some kind. And could it be related to the Battery error?

As this is my first time hands-on with a Compact KRC4, is there anything different about the Compact (as compared to full-size KRC4s) that could be related to this?

If troubleshooting this involves opening up the controller, it's going to be a real pain -- the controller is placed deep in the guts of the machine, and getting to it will involve some major frame disassembly. Even the cabinet USB ports are unavailable -- the only way I can make backups is to use the SmartPad USB port.

• all KRC4 controllers share same architecture so everything you know about KRC4 applies to KRC4 compact. that includes internal busses etc. the only thing is that compact is ... well - compact (smaller PSU and drives)

batteries need to be connected to PMB (X305) just like on larger KRC4.
    if not connected, you will get fault. if connected but discharged beyond safety limit, batteries are not recoverable any more so you get fault. this can happen in matter of couple of weeks of controller being switched off (batteries get discharged irreversibly). when system is not to be used for a while, X305 must be unplugged to prevent drain... so just because controller is "new" it does not mean that something is covered under warranty.

well, integrator that built machine dropped the ball. building compact controller deep into machine is not exactly following the code (but then, in some countries following code is only voluntary...). cabinet must be accessible for servicing. batteries are consumable and need to be periodically replaced. same goes for any blown fuses etc.

Another thing about diagnostics is - check all messages and looking at clusters of messages that occur together. Btw. many messages do not get displayed on smartPad - this is why checking logs in archive or krcdiag is important. tools like logviewer etc are indispensable.

next thing is to see if message is due to some lag (powerup for example). when KRC4 compact has X55 interface, it is important to check how exactly it is wired - delays (external PSU, or switching by some external device) may prevent timely powerup of integrated I/O etc. or if external IO are connected to X65, are they powered immediately? just saying...

but it is also not given that "EtherCat" message refers to KEB, could be also KCB or KSB. I see all the time people not paying attention to O-rings on connectors (X21/X31 for example). Maybe it is a smartPad too - yanking on cable can create damage. This can be tested with help of another smartPAd or by removing smartPad. There is a Diagnosis screen on smartPAd HMI and it may show further clues (error counters etc.).

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

Edited once, last by panic mode ().

• So, it sounds like something disconnected in the controller? Bleah....

Diagnostic monitor for Network Interface SYS-X44 shows no errors at all.
    However, the monitor for KEB SYS-X44 MasterStack shows an ERROR state, with a Lost Frames count equal to the Sent Frames count, and a Received Frames count of 0. The Master Requested State, Slave Requested State, and Master OK are all ERROR'd, and Master Status is "0 - Invalid". But the Send-to-Send and Receive-to-Receive times keep updating. Even with 0 slaves configured or found.

The Diag monitor for ECatIO shows no errors except for SYS-X44 (Code 3).

Whatever the problem is, it certainly seems to be part of the KEB, but there's no smoking gun to explain what. Or, for that matter, why the robot keeps running with what I would normally expect to be a fatal error.

Pulling a KRCDiag shows... weirdness. There are "spurts" of error 12051 and 12052 (KPP Fan E1 or E2 Revolution too low), where the error occurs every 8-20 minutes, but only for a second or so then clears itself. This can last for an hour or two, but then stop entirely for several hours. It doesn't seem to matter if the robot is running, idling, or sitting in Teach mode.

There's also some occasional 14004 errors (No communication to Power Management Service), that seem pretty random. They're not happening during E-Stops, mode changes, power cycles, just... randomly.

There's an occaisional numberless error "SmartPad Service Received message length 0", but that only seems to pop up every couple hours.

• what tech packages are installed (and what versions)? what are free resources on that machine? sounds like issue may be caused by some (external) failed process that hogs resources. malware?

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Just BoardPackage 1.4.0, EIP 2.0.3, and MultiSubmit 1.0.1, and there's only the primary SPS doing anything. Heck, even the production program is tiny -- about 10 pages, total? It's a really small, simple process -- this robot is essentially replacing a 30-year-old SCARA robot, but the process is barely changed at all.

Malware? No idea. Nothing obvious -- the SmartHMI is snappy and responsive at all times, never feels bogged down. And the HMI is usually where I see resource issue symptoms first, on KRC4s. No strange programs show up in the Windows install list. I can't get at the Windows Services list right now, but I'll check it when I can.
    The KRCDiag does show a periodic string of "Microsoft Security Audit" messages, but they seem like just logged events, like a regular file scan.

• SkyeFire ,

Did you ever find resolution to this? Im working on one as well that i had working previously on a thumbdrive but now none of my computers have usb access.

Im working on the compact controller and all of my profisafe stuff works properly but nothing is coming across the wire for standard io.

• Im working on the compact controller and all of my profisafe stuff works properly but nothing is coming across the wire for standard io.

That sounds like a completely different issue than the thread is about, but... hm? ProfiSafe works, but ProfiNet doesn't? That's a weird combo -- I've only ever seen it the other way around, generally due to a Safety ID being set wrong.

Normally, if PS works, PN should come along for the ride, since they're essentially different packets on the same channel. If there aren't any PN error messages, the only thing that leaps to mind is the mapping in WoV.

• are you sure the IO is mapped?

safety IO does not need mapping - it is already done (because it is fixed).

standard IO requires user to do the mapping

3) read 1 and 2

• Recycled. just a little test robot for us here.

I found that my issue is that the PLC is mapped for 8192, and i have the robot set up for 8192, but the profinet is only selectable to 2032. How do i fix that?

Advertising from our partners